4.0 out of 5 stars Deep, Dark and Dylan
Considering this album's predecessors, Oh Mercy is a near miraculous return to form for Bob Dylan. Boasting his pithiest pop single for a decade in Everything Is Broken, the album catches fire from the off and carries on burning slowly with a sinister sizzle. Great night time listening, the deep bass rumblings and evocative dobro and pedal steel create such an...
Published on 24 July 2000 by Joe

3.0 out of 5 stars One Of Bob's More Satisfying Eighties Albums
'Oh Mercy' came as a relief in the late eighties as Bob had gone through a very barren patch musically just prior to its release. I think because of this it was perhaps a little overrated at the time.
'Oh Mercy' in retrospect (and particuarly when compared with Bob's more recent return to form) is a good solid album but a long way off his best work. However Bob's...
Published on 2 Sep 2006 by Jervis

5.0 out of 5 stars Dylan at his best., 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Oh Mercy (Audio CD)
Bought this as was missing from my collection. Well worth the wait, as it's Dylan at his best in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars bobs back on beam, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Oh Mercy (Audio CD)
Great to hear bob on good form again
This is a good solid collection of strong songs
Puts me in mind of. Time out of mind cd. But I
Don't think it surpasses that cd though. Overall
Bobs on great form and producer lanois too
Adding his great touch of magic. Best songs for me
Ring them bells. Political world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice work, 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: Oh Mercy (Audio CD)
There are great songs in this CD.
The mood is a little bit "I'm kinda down", but it's still a pleasure to hear the songs again.
I had an old vynil of this one, a long time lost, but it is still worthy.
Ya all can give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric, 21 Jun 2011
This review is from: Oh Mercy (Audio CD)
I own about 30 Dylan albums and have to admit that this is probably my favourite. Moody, atmospheric. I just love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Mum loved it!, 2 Sep 2010
Phoebe (Wales, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oh Mercy (Audio CD)
I bought this for my mum for mothers day. She loved it! It has lots of good songs for all Bob Dylan fans out there! A good buy :) x

4.0 out of 5 stars Mercy Indeed, 17 July 2010
This review is from: Oh Mercy (Audio CD)
Making an astonishing come back this was Dylan's best album for many years. The confessional "Most of the Time" is just genius and still gives me solace and perspective at those times of feeling low.

5.0 out of 5 stars A VERY UNDER-RATED CLASSIC., 28 Nov 2009
Mr. Terence Peddle "TERENCE.A. PEDDLE" (NORWICH,UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oh Mercy (Audio CD)
SOME OF UNCLE BOBS ALBUMS ARE OVERLOOKED,THIS IS ONE OF THEM.THAT PUZZLES ME? "DISEASE OF CONCEIT" "MOST OF THE TIME" "SHOOTING STAR" THESE ARE OUTSTANDING LYRICALLY & MUSICALLY.GO BUY THIS LITTLE GEM,PREFERABLY ON SACD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four stars, maybe five, 12 April 2009
This review is from: Oh Mercy (Audio CD)
Dylan's 'Oh Mercy' seems to be rapidly falling off the critical radar as of late. On its initial release this was acclaimed, rightly, as a come back after D's difficulties in the eighties. Since then it seems to have fallen increasingly out of favour. As a result this SACD may be at the bottom of your list which is a shame because of all the Dylan SACD's I've heard this must be the best. It completely re-invigorates the album offering further insight into a set of songs that, in collusion with the talented producer Daniel Lanois, amply demonstrate Dylan's ability as a song writer and performer. 'Oh Mercy' is something of a tour de force.

The songs themselves seem to depict a wary Dylan looking out into a world transformed by the eighties hence the opening 'Political World'. Other themes are more introspective seeking a relationship with the new world order that impinges on the author. Who was he talking to when he wrote in 'What was it you wanted' - you can tell me, I'm back, We can start it all over, get it back on the track ?

This is a good album and it just got better.

5.0 out of 5 stars DYLAN, 10 Oct 2008
mark wilson "WALLOP" (DUNDEE SCOTLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oh Mercy (Audio CD)
WITH SO MUCH BOB DYLAN ALBUMS AVAILIABLE ITS HARD TO KNOW WHAT TO BUY I THINK THIS IS ONE OF HIS BEST IF YOU WERE ONLY TO OWN TWO DYLAN ALBUMS THEN THIS ALONG WITH BLOOD ON THE TRACKS SHOULD BE YOUR TWO.LOVED THE TRACK EVERYTHING IS BROKEN.BUY THIS ALBUM AND YOU WILL LISTEN TO IT FOREVER.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to the future, 2 Dec 2007
R. G. Ellis "Kel" (Lingfield, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oh Mercy (Audio CD)
My mind had lost touch with Dylan after "Planet Waves" but this one re-kindled my love for the man's music. Tracks 1, 3 and 4 didn't really blow my mind, however "The man in the long black coat" is heavy with symbolism and of the rest of the excellent tracks the best one must be the quizzical nonchalence of "What was it you wanted?" I owe a debt of gratitude to my ex-wife for buying me this LP back in the late 80s and it's now time for me to replace the battered vinyl with this CD. Great stuff!

Oh Mercy
Oh Mercy by Bob Dylan (Audio CD - 2004)