4.0 out of 5 stars Grindes coffee beans at a reasonable price
Now I've been using this coffee grinder for a few weeks, I've become accustomed to having a decent cup of coffee in the mornings. It's a bit of a luxury and I'm pleased that I bought the Bodum 5679. It takes about 30 seconds to grind the beans the way I like them.
Published on 7 Jun 2005 by Sally-Anne

2.0 out of 5 stars Blade gets dull
I was very pleased with the grinder in the first several months, but after that I have found that the blades have gotten really dull and it just does not grind coffee as fine as it used to. I am going to have to replace it soon.
Published on 30 Aug 2005

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Grindes coffee beans at a reasonable price, 7 Jun 2005
Sally-Anne "mynameissally" (Leicestershire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bodum 5679 C-Mill Electric Coffee Grinder, Black (Kitchen & Home)
There is a small niggle. My last coffee grinder had a removable bowl so that it was easy to get the ground coffee from the grinder to the coffee maker and it was easy to clean. This one does not have a removable bowl. It's a job to get all the coffee out of it and it's quite difficult to clean. There are little corners and crevices that are hard to get at. Of course, it mustn't be put in water. Kitchen roll doesn't work very well.
Apart from that, it does the job to my satisfaction and the price is modest. I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ground control, 20 July 2004
By A Customer
Since I got this grinder I've not looked back. Freshly ground beans are light years ahead of the pre-ground product. The C-Mill represents a modest outlay for the years of coffee enjoyment that await you. The mill itself is robust and sleekly designed. It's a single-speed device, but spins rapidly enough to grind your coffee super-fine if you want it to. It can easily grind enough beans for a good 8-cup cafetierre.

And the customer service at Bodum is excellent too. I lost the lid for my grinder in a house move. When I phoned to see if they sold spare parts, they said they'd check in the warehouse for returned items, and shipped me a lid for free!

2.0 out of 5 stars Blade gets dull, 30 Aug 2005
By A Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Good when it works, but broke twice in one year!, 14 July 2009
Diane "Diane" (California, United States) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this product when i first bought it for quickly grinding beans for my french press. But after 6 months or so it broke. It was hard to tell at first what had happened, but after looking with a flashlight, i found that the piece of plastic that holds the blade in place broke off and the blade was just jiggling all over the place. I contacted Bodum and they were extremely helpful, replacing my grinder in just a week. However, the second grinder did the exact same thing about 7 months later. Considering I only grind about 5 times a week, this seemed like shoddy design. I imagine if the part holding the blade was also stainless steel this machines might last longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee lovers - enjoy!!, 13 Sep 2006
R. F. Usher "Kinobi-kid" (London) - See all my reviews
I am a big fan of coffee. I don't drink an excessive amount of it - only 1 or 2 cups a day, but I absolutely hate nasty coffee.

Instant granuals only resemble real coffee in the fact that they make a dark liquid - the taste is incomparible.

After appreciating an esprsso made from freshly ground beans in Florence a few years ago I decided - if I'm going to drink coffee, it's going to be the best.

This bit of kit ensures that every cup tastes great. I keep the beans in the fridge, only grind what I need each time and am enjoying the taste each morning.

It's simple to use gets good results. The only technical gripes are:

- ground coffee gets compacted under the blade sometimes and needs to be prodded free before it can be ground appropriately;

- the motor does sound like it's about to explode when it reaches top speed but I think your suppost to pulse it anyway so it's not really a problem (although my cat freaks out every time I use it!!).

However plus points outway the negatives:

+ Blade is still sharp;

+ Price is good value;

+ Cable can be coiled up neatly on the underside to avoid tangling;

+Looks quite cool compared to others on the market.

Good bit of kit. Bought one for a friend recently who also loves it. Would recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars dangerous, 6 July 2008
the tiny hole that acts as a safety switch gets clogged and the machine stays permanently on. The hole cannot be cleared.

3.0 out of 5 stars It grinds but design is less useful to me, 20 July 2005
By A Customer
If you want a coffee grinder with a different look then this may well be for you.
If you want something to grind and be able to invert and collect in the lid once done it's not. I wanted something to grind spices and then take the contents away next to the stove to pour into the pot when required. This model has a shallow lid with the grind button "threaded" through it. This would me dirtying another container or taking the whole unit over. No real problem, just less convenient.
It does do the job well though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value blade grinder, 5 Jan 2005
Nicely manufactured grinder, looks the part too. Well worth the investment to get freshly ground goffee which is so much better than the preground stuff.
It's single speed, grinds the coffee quickly and a quick look inside will tell you if you need to give it another whizz to get the grounds smaller. No need for something with a timer IMHO, which just cost more money.
Not for your expresso geeks, who will want to shell out the £150 for an innova burr grinder with much more uniform grind, but not being a geek, it works for me in either my expresso (whizz for longer) or caffitiere.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Grind The Beans Finely Enough For Me, 4 Nov 2007
C. Pitbladdo (Edinburgh, Lothian United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'm using my grinder with a Gaggia Espresso maker, and I've found that this device just doesn't grind my beans finely enough to make a good, strong espresso.
Also, after a thirty second 'wizz', you can really smell the motor heating up.
It's probably fine for cafetiere coffee, but not so good for a proper espresso machine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Danger, 11 July 2007
Cesar Villavicencio (Amsterdam) - See all my reviews
Well, I am actually amazed that no one has had the problem I am having. This machine gets stuck and doesn't turn off because coffee gets into the little hole where the on/off switch is located. That means plugging it on and off the wall. The first time it happened I got coffee beans all over the kitchen. Take care.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›