5.0 out of 5 stars How to think, not rote learning - and they think it's a game, 18 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Zoombinis Island Odyssey (CD-ROM)
The striking thing about Zoombinis is you never see a number on screen, just mechanisms and patterns and things to solve. From my point of view, the approach means it is stimulating and training *how they think*, rather than their rote ability to do calculations. From the kids' point of view, it means this feels like just a game, not an educational CD at all. Lots of CDs aim or claim to make education *FUN!!* but most fail, usually in an irritating, patronising way. Zoombinis deliver: my 6 and 8 year old boys play these almost obsessively (the younger one watching and suggesting, which isn't always peaceful!) as if it was some video game designed *solely* for fun. Whoever put these together really knows how to get players hooked. If you need to improve their times tables or number bonds directly, go somewhere else, but if you want them to enjoy learning, be intrigued, and be already comfortable with many concepts when they encounter them in the classroom, start here. My elder son asked me the other day what a cube would look like in four dimensions (I had no idea, but I'm told it would be drawn like the Aquacube in this CD), so I think they work! Oh, and one excellent detail: they custom-design their Zoombinis at the start, just like you can design characters in Playstation etc games. This might seem cosmetic and superficial to an adult, but I think it is very important to the kids. My boys' ones always have shades and mohicans, but there are enough pink trainers and ponytails available to make the girliest of little girls feel at home too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific educational/fun software for kids (and dads!), 25 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Zoombinis Island Odyssey (CD-ROM)
This is brilliant software. It keeps the kids amused and at the same time makes them think. To progress through the game your child needs to solve problems, simple at first and then building to "dad, can you give me a hand please". The ensuing interaction is great fun in itself, hilarious.
If only more games could be this educational!

5.0 out of 5 stars great for all ages!, 28 Oct. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Zoombinis Island Odyssey (CD-ROM)
This is really shaming... I'm seventeen and I love this game!! I'm not alone, I was introduced to this version by some friends who are also 'too old'. I loved the first version of Zoombinis, but it won't run on modern computers (there you go.. I'm showing my age!) Zoombinis can be challenging even for older people, and you don't realise it's educational (or maybe that's cos it isn't really for me!) I suppose I first played the original in school, but I never realised it was for younger children. Also, my mum used to love playing on my old version (although she hasn't tried this one) So, this is a great buy, educational for the kids, and hours of fun for you (!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant game ' and it's educational!, 7 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Zoombinis Island Odyssey (CD-ROM)
Like the original Zoombinis - see review - this clever little game presents children (and adults) with a series of puzzles which the likeable and beautifully characterised Zoombinis must solve to make their way to the promised land. Not only is this immense fun, but it really does, as it says on the package, develop your logical, maths and science skills. It's the only computer game I've come across which children really enjoy, and which contributes directly to building up educational skills. Great stuff.

One downside: this is an antique game, and looks a bit old-fashioned. But that shouldn't deter anyone under 10, or over 35.

5.0 out of 5 stars zoombinis island odyssey, 20 Aug. 2003
Mrs. J. Barnes (nottingham, england United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zoombinis Island Odyssey (CD-ROM)
I have a 7 year old girl and i try to get her to play games on the computer that helps her to learn as well as play, this game does all of this as she will be a key stage 3 in September.
The beauty in this game makes her think what she has to do and recognise patterns and looking for ratios and to try and puzzle what she has to do( in other words use her brain). It is very easy to sit them in front of a computer and not learn anything the game needs to be exciting which this one is.

Zoombinis Island Odyssey
Zoombinis Island Odyssey by Avanquest Software (Windows 2000 / 98 / Me / NT / XP)
Used & New from: £0.01