Price:£19.98+ £1.26 shipping

on 7 March 2004
Spider in the Bath is in the same category as "Wallace and Gromit" and "Tom and Jerry". It is a superbly crafted, timeless classic that works on many levels.
Highly melodic and folksy. Comforting, humorous and catchy and is appealing to children very young children(18 months + onwards).

* Accoustic guitar,
* trumpets (reminiscent of brass bands and Dvorak's New World Symphony),
* electric guitars,
* the gentle vocals of the male singer
* the additional vocals provided by his children
all contribute to a wonderful soundtrack worth buying in itself.
Display humour, pathos and delight. They make good children's poetry in their own right. A child's eye perspective is maintained throughout.
These appear to be designed specifically for the songs. Simple ink and watercolour. Easy for young children to follow and enjoy.
My daughter has been afraid of spiders. But "Spider in the Bath" was never frightening. She loved spider - the title character (but was still scared of real spiders). [She is now 12 and the video "Eight Legged Freaks" has helped her with her arachnophobia - huge scary man eating spiders that could be cute was a revelation for her}.
Good music. The scenes from school appeal to the older parent and grandparents. Many schools have changed(who wears caps these days?).
The lyrics are repetititive as are parts of the cartoon. Every one of the 13 episodes are visual poems. Children are can easily understand what is going one, anticipate, the next refrain and benefit from the clearly structure way in which every episode is organised.
1, 2, 11 and 13. Yet all are of a very high quality indeed.
In East Enders in the 1990s you could hear "Spider in the bath" repeatedly in the background as Walford pre-school progeny were in dumped in front of the TV
on 3 June 2004
Utterly sweet, charming, brilliant. A real hidden classic. Much loved by my 4 yo son, and his parents, and his grandparents.
Yay the spider !
on 4 January 2007
I remember when these came out. I was probably four or five then, but I can remember how much I loved them. The music, lyrics and animation are great and still make me smile. I recently dug them out for some younger relatives and found I enjoyed watching them again. I remembered the lyrics even now, and found myself laughing along with the kids. I throughly recommend Spider to all kids and parents.
on 15 November 2005
This is a wonderful, captivating and utterly charming childrens animation.My nephews loved it (they are now 16 & 12) and now my children love it. When my children watch it I find myself singing along with the songs. I would recommend this to any parent, grandparent or anyone!!
on 8 September 2005
This is utterly charming! I did not watch it as a child (I am 25 now) but I defy any four year old not to love it! It is completely captivating and absolutely enchanting. I can't stop watching it. I think it can teach us all something.
on 19 July 2011
I used to watch Spider! back in 1993 while I was getting ready for work and enjoyed it very much. Nearly 20 years on and here I am with a little one of my own. I originally rented the series from Love Film as I wasn't sure whether little one would enjoy it, but it has been a massive hit. Our own copy arrived today and saw little one clearing up toys immediately to dance and sing to her favourite episode, C-Rocker.

The cartoons are charming and remain enjoyable for adults and kids alike. At only 5 minutes per episode they also hold little one's attention and it's lovely to hear her singing along with the catchy tunes. An added bonus is that toys get put away immediately "or there's no Spider!" so extra value.

I would throughly recommend this cartoon - it is imaginative, has catchy and cleverly written songs and each has it's own special meaning:- friendship,(Spider in the Bath, Just a Spider, Truefriend) never giving up, (Spider's Song) sharing, (Little Miss M) and even a little love story! (Frog Change)

And who knew that two one now ex) members of Status Quo contributed their musical talents?!
on 3 March 2012
Like so many other reviewers, I bought this many years ago in VHS format. I also bought the DVD a few years ago, but gave it away. I now have another young daughter and couldn't wait to buy yet another copy of this lovely set of cartoons.

The songs are excellently written and performed. They sort of lull you into the stories. The animation is just so cute and the way the spider is depicted is very well thought out. Even kids who hate spiders would love this...unless they have an uncontrollably massive phobia. It's very captivating and there's a lot of humour mixed in with the charm.

I'd recommend this to anyone with small children. You'll soon be singing all the little songs. ''Spider in the bath, spider in the bath. Creepy crawly, creepy crawly spider in the bath. You know he's only there because he wants to have a laugh....'' Yes, we love it!!
on 2 November 2008
No child should be without this dvd. My son LOVED the songs as a toddler and even granny can still sing the songs by heart ten years later. When my other son get to two years we'll be buying him a copy - the other ones worn out! Spider [1992]
on 6 October 2009
I bought `Spider' having told my children how great it was and having sung the `Spider Song' to them since they were babies. They have watched it avidly since it arrived. I think it's fantastic!
The only reason it has four instead of five stars is that the sound quality isn't as good as on the original TV broadcasts. Given that these are stories in song, the sound quality should be better and subtitles would make it easier for the children (and adults) to sing along. This quibble aside, it is a great DVD for both adults and children alike - enjoy the gentle animation, the clever songs and the subtle humour. `Spider Song' is still my favourite episode -everyone should watch it!
on 5 May 2015
Takes you right back to your childhood (if you were a 90s kid that is!)
Bought one for my toddler and one for a friend's. Of course they love it, spider is classic and timeless.
I definitely recommend as a gift to friends or relatives with little ones as... the nostalgia will have the parent enjoying the present as much as the child and it's much less annoying that any modern irritating noisy toys that just go in the bin