5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest childrens cartoons ever, 7 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Spider [DVD] (DVD)
Spider in the Bath is in the same category as "Wallace and Gromit" and "Tom and Jerry". It is a superbly crafted, timeless classic that works on many levels.
THE MUSIC
Highly melodic and folksy. Comforting, humorous and catchy and is appealing to children very young children(18 months + onwards).

* Accoustic guitar,
* trumpets (reminiscent of brass bands and Dvorak's New World Symphony),
* electric guitars,
* the gentle vocals of the male singer
and
* the additional vocals provided by his children
all contribute to a wonderful soundtrack worth buying in itself.
THE LYRICS
Display humour, pathos and delight. They make good children's poetry in their own right. A child's eye perspective is maintained throughout.
THE CARTOONS
These appear to be designed specifically for the songs. Simple ink and watercolour. Easy for young children to follow and enjoy.
ARACHNOPHOBIA
My daughter has been afraid of spiders. But "Spider in the Bath" was never frightening. She loved spider - the title character (but was still scared of real spiders). [She is now 12 and the video "Eight Legged Freaks" has helped her with her arachnophobia - huge scary man eating spiders that could be cute was a revelation for her}.
ADULTS VIEWPOINT
Good music. The scenes from school appeal to the older parent and grandparents. Many schools have changed(who wears caps these days?).
EDUCATIONAL PERSPECTIVE
The lyrics are repetititive as are parts of the cartoon. Every one of the 13 episodes are visual poems. Children are can easily understand what is going one, anticipate, the next refrain and benefit from the clearly structure way in which every episode is organised.
FAVOURITE EPISODES
1, 2, 11 and 13. Yet all are of a very high quality indeed.
SPIDER IN THE BATH TRIVIA
In East Enders in the 1990s you could hear "Spider in the bath" repeatedly in the background as Walford pre-school progeny were in dumped in front of the TV

5.0 out of 5 stars Spider ! ....., 3 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Spider [DVD] (DVD)
Utterly sweet, charming, brilliant. A real hidden classic. Much loved by my 4 yo son, and his parents, and his grandparents.
Yay the spider !

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Amazing!!!, 4 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Spider [DVD] (DVD)
I remember when these came out. I was probably four or five then, but I can remember how much I loved them. The music, lyrics and animation are great and still make me smile. I recently dug them out for some younger relatives and found I enjoyed watching them again. I remembered the lyrics even now, and found myself laughing along with the kids. I throughly recommend Spider to all kids and parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiders - eugh..........NOT, 15 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Spider [DVD] (DVD)
This is a wonderful, captivating and utterly charming childrens animation.My nephews loved it (they are now 16 & 12) and now my children love it. When my children watch it I find myself singing along with the songs. I would recommend this to any parent, grandparent or anyone!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 8 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Spider [DVD] (DVD)
This is utterly charming! I did not watch it as a child (I am 25 now) but I defy any four year old not to love it! It is completely captivating and absolutely enchanting. I can't stop watching it. I think it can teach us all something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spider dvd, 2 Nov. 2008
K. Marshall (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spider [DVD] (DVD)
No child should be without this dvd. My son LOVED the songs as a toddler and even granny can still sing the songs by heart ten years later. When my other son get to two years we'll be buying him a copy - the other ones worn out! Spider [1992]

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for all the family..., 6 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Spider [DVD] (DVD)
I bought `Spider' having told my children how great it was and having sung the `Spider Song' to them since they were babies. They have watched it avidly since it arrived. I think it's fantastic!
The only reason it has four instead of five stars is that the sound quality isn't as good as on the original TV broadcasts. Given that these are stories in song, the sound quality should be better and subtitles would make it easier for the children (and adults) to sing along. This quibble aside, it is a great DVD for both adults and children alike - enjoy the gentle animation, the clever songs and the subtle humour. `Spider Song' is still my favourite episode -everyone should watch it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 12 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Spider [DVD] (DVD)
This is a brilliant aid which helps pre school children learn to understand what is going on in the world around them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classic, 15 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Spider [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this for my grandson who started talking about spiders in his bedroom in a concerned way. He absolutely loves it (as did my own children before him!). Beautifully drawn and lovely songs that you will find yourself singing all day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 27 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Spider [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this for my little grandson, but my son and I still remember it from when he was a child, and we were enjoying it all over again too. This is a series of little stories with music and songs. It starts with a little boy being worried about a spider in his bath, but as the stories progress, the little boy and the spider become friends. The last story, with the song "True friends", still brings a tear to my eye.

Spider [DVD]
Spider [DVD] by Graham Ralph (DVD - 2004)