4.0 out of 5 stars Good but no instructions
Published on 17 May 2008 by John Bridge

1.0 out of 5 stars no good
I should have heeded the other reviews. This is absolutely rubbish. I asked two work colleagues to have a go with it as well, they agreed that the quality of this is very poor. I repaired my daughters belt by adding a hole and the eyelet does not close properly. Just as well the eyelet is on the outside as it would have scratched her skin otherwise.
Published on 1 Nov. 2009 by Albiland Girl

1.0 out of 5 stars no good, 1 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Draper 31096 Interchangeable Hole Punch and Eyelet Pliers (DIY & Tools)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but no instructions, 17 May 2008
This makes holes that are 2.8, 3.0, 3.5, 3.8, 4.0 or 5.00 mm in diameter. The tools screw easily into the jaws, and are screwed into the handle when not being used. I made holes in a belt that was 62 mm across and the tool just reached to the middle, so the "throat" of this tool is about 31mm. I've previously used a wheeled-type punch and this seems sturdier. The eyelets fit the 4mm holes [making a head about 8mm across], and they may be used to join 2 sheets each about 0.5 mm thick maximum. Thinner materials would be more securely joined, but there were no instructions nor guide dimensions given. The eyelets look like brass and copper plated onto steel [which would eventually show through] Very good value for the Amazon price and a branded product!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality - look elsewhere., 14 April 2010
No instructions come with this product. One of heads disintegrated on first attempt to cut whole in fabric. Attachment heads do not come together properly when you crimp together. I would have asked for a refund if it was a higher value item, but time and postage not worth it. Look elsewhere for an eyelet plier (although be careful as some alternatives are just hole punches and will not crimp your eyelets together!). This item is poor quality and I certainly found it useless for fabric.

1.0 out of 5 stars Draper 31096, 17 July 2009
J. Yeomans (Bucks. UK) - See all my reviews
Sadly it would not do what I bought it for ie.eyelets for drawstrings in clothing. Did not seem very robust or well made. Returned for refund

1.0 out of 5 stars I really wish I hadn't bothered, 5 April 2013
Having just read the other reviews for this product i completely agree with those stating that it is rubbish. I've just wasted two hours, even having referred to the manufactures instructions, my eyelets were awful, the 'formers' needed a huge amount of pressure to close the eyelet and then frequently distorted. I'm only glad I had a bit of old kidd leather to practice on and didn't launch into a project only to ruin it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy piece of kit., 5 Feb. 2015
I saw many unfavourable reviews for this but decided to give it a go because I had one some time ago. It went the way of many things during house moves over the years but I remember it was a useful bit of kit.
I can only assume that the people who are having trouble with it haven't set the device up correctly. I have found that it punches a clean crisp hole in anything I have tried, card, leather and paper to name a few. The eyelets rivet in nicely and look professional. I have to restrain myself from putting eyelets into the morning mail, my children's coats or anything which comes to hand really, it's just so much fun. (childish I know).

I would say that there is only one size of eyelet though which is about the size of a shoe lace hole, I thought there would be a variety.

Works very well though

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 29 April 2010
Mr Strathmore (East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this to punch holes for eyelets on paper I had laminated for a project. There were quite a few holes to be punched and quite a few eyelets to be placed.

The pliers are not the best for this as the hole punch mates against a solid (if flat) face to make the cut. For my particular application they are not great as the cutting tool and the flat face do not meet perfectly flat. This means that one part of the circumference on hole just gets compressed and needs a few punches, at different orientations, to make the full cut.

I may be a little harsh here, since this type of tool is probably used for thicker substrates, but I think it would not be that great on some fabrics too. I can't completely comment on that as I don't want to start punching holes in stuff, just to try this out.

For repeated use, it gets a little hard on your hand. The force required for me to make the cut was really quite high and I needed to give it a rest after about 10-15 holes. Again, this may be harsh as most applications would be for a one of job or a few holes. However, if you are thinking of using this for a large job then it may be a consideration for you.

The eyelet side of things was absolutely fine. The supply of eyelets were fine for the job and crimp nicely in the special jaws on the pliers.

Only three stars, which is partly driven by my particular application, but this would be fine for low frequency use.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not so bad... once shown!, 9 May 2011
I joined the rest, and decided, this tool didn't work very well at all when it came to eyeletting.... but, along came my wife and got it working fine, it's actually a good quality, handy little punch and eyeletter... for the price! (balance the eyelet on the flat side, then squeeze against the small raised centre pin)

1.0 out of 5 stars SHOULD HAVE BELIEVED THE OTHERS, 19 Dec. 2010
INCREDIBLY BADLY MADE PIECE OF KIT ,TOO WEAK TO DO ANYTHING BUT THE LIGHTEST TASK, MY ADVICE WOULD BE BUY SOMETHING, ANYTHING, ELSE THAN THIS ITEM WOULD LOVE TO GIVE IT NO STARS

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible piece of equipment, 30 April 2013
Not easy to use, you need a tremendous grip strength, two of the hole punches split on first use and they do not cut a simple piece of material. I am returning this useless item.