4.0 out of 5 stars Decent double pinnion hand drill
Accurately manufactured chuck which doesn't wobble, and good value for the price, and cheaper than comparable competition. Handy space in the handle for keeping a few drill bits. Much better than any single pinion hand drill.
I'm happy with mine.
Published on 5 Jan. 2005 by Dicko

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for light jobs
I bought this drill do to some lightweight work on some cheapish cabinets, for that purpose this drill was fine, however it does lack weight, those of you who are used to the older cast iron handrills (like my dad gave me)
Published on 27 Jan. 2011 by Krystan Honour

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent double pinnion hand drill, 5 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Draper 13838 8 mm 3/8-Inch Chuck Double-Pinion Hand Drill (DIY & Tools)
I'm happy with mine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for light jobs, 27 Jan. 2011
are going to be disappointed with this as it is quite a light bit of kit, which means your need to place more force on the bit yourself, I always felt I was pushing too hard but on the chipboard I was drilling
this was not an issue.

Its a good modern replacement with a decent enough chuck which I have yet to see wobble, however the teeth do stick sometimes even after the product was oiled, all in all I'd go for the heavy duty stanley one
if you want something more durable or for heavier work but for a one or two times a year product for lightweight work this is fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, 27 Aug. 2013
I think this drill will do the job I bought it for, that is, it will be available for immediate use on small jobs when I don't want to get out the power drill. And I'll be able to use it to hold, say, a countersink bit when there's a twist bit in the power drill.

On the other hand, it's no better than adequate; emphatically it's not the kind of precisely engineered hand tool which it's a delight to use. (In fact, I wonder how much you'd have to pay for such a hand drill.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly good hand drill, 31 Mar. 2012
I bought this for my father as his old one was slipping. Same problem as everyone has - hand drills are just not available in the likes of Homebase & B & Q.
I was very confused by all the reviews on the various hand drills as they were so varied. I did not buy a cheap one as they had bad reviews, but equally the well known makes like Draper & Stanley had negative feedback from some people too.
I figured out it was better to buy a double pinion & finally opted for this Draper make as I believe they are a good manufacturer.

Well it was a good choice. Arrived very quickly, as always from Amazon and dad has used it and is very happy with it.
Like one other reviewer said about hand drills - they are only really for drilling pilot holes.
Only reason did not give it 5 stars is there was a bit of play on the wheel you turn.

2.0 out of 5 stars Useless design., 16 Sept. 2007
I bought this hand drill to accompany my carpenter's brace -- which won't bite down on drill bits smaller than 5mm -- and was more than a little disappointed. I don't really like these types of hand drill to begin with; after using this one, I doubt I'll pick up another.

I was careful enough to oil the teeth and took care not to put too much strain on the mechanism the two times I used it. More care than its poor construction was worth. The wheel sticks at several points. Though it IS of dual pinion construction, there aren't any screws to tighten the wheel against the plastic casing and so it wobbles enough to provide very unsmooth action.

If you're going to buy this sort of drill, avoid this one. I'm kicking myself now for not shelling out a bit more for a Stanley.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 4 Sept. 2011
I find a hand drill is perfect for little jobs around the house where accuracy is needed - especially where power drills are just too bulky or uncontrollable. Unfortunately the local branches of the national hardware stores don't agree with me (presumably there's more profit in a power drill). This does the job well at a minimal price and has been a good back-up for the Stanley drill I bought 25 years ago (and is still going strong). To be honest I would have chosen another Stanley, but the price difference made this better value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST YET, 27 Sept. 2012
C. F. Brown - See all my reviews
After trying two different versions from the Stanley range and being dissapointed due to poor pinnion engagements which lead to slipping etc, I find that the Draper is working much better and, so far, has not dissapointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and rattly, 23 July 2011
I'm amazed at the good reviews of this product, I didn't expect anything as solid as my old Stanley (the chuck has worn out after 40 odd years) but the meshing of the gears is dreadful, even after generous lubrication. Adequate for light drilling but if it's still in my workshop after a year I'll be very surprised.

The only reason I'm not sending it back is that there doesn't seem to be anything better available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as intended but don't force it, 22 Mar. 2013
Great service from Amazon -- the Draper 13838 8mm-3/8-inch chuck double-pinion hand drill was shipped by Amazon UK the day after I placed my order and was delivered correctly in Italy four days later. I visited three small / medium-sized, local hardware stores before shopping online; several expensive (100-300+ euros) power drills were available, but no simple, low-cost hand-operated devices like this one. This particular drill is a handy little machine that works as intended, drilling holes in wood, metal, plastic and plaster without needing batteries or electric power. The main handle is firmly attached (no wobbling) and the handwheel gears drive the pinions correctly, as long as not too much force is applied. Rating 4 out of 5 stars because the cranking handle and main wheel don't have the last-a-lifetime feel that my dad's old hand tools did, but so far so good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware may be missing the chuck, 18 Nov. 2011
Be very careful when ordering this product as I received mine with a missing chuck making it totally useless! All the product descriptions and images include a 3/8-inch Chuck but I received a sealed amazon box containing the drill and my additional drill bit set but no chuck whatsoever.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›