I

5.0 out of 5 stars Kurt, a Magnificent Musician, 15 May 2004
This review is from: I (Audio CD)
For a debut album, this is nothing short of astonishing! Kurt did not only showcase his amazingly unique voice in this album but also his natural flair for songwriting. He tackled the ballads Lost in Despair, Breathe and I (all my personal favorite)with so much depth and passion as shown in the poetical lyrics of such songs. The melody and the way he sang these ballads with his haunting and yet pleasing voice is so captivating.
The upbeat tones and rhythm of Smell the Roses, Last Day of Summer, Wedding'S Off ( another personal favorites), Here She Comes and All You Have to Offer have all the character of a music hit because of the simplicity and pureness of the text and yet honest and refreshing. However there's some sense of poetry and sophistication that one can feel in Lost in Despair, I and Weddings Off that I wouldn't be surprised if any of this songs become a mega hit. Even the cover songs that he did came out better (with all due respect to Bono, Tal, Andreas and Simon) than the original songs just because of his fantastic and superior voice. Kurt singing voice is instinctive and interpretive, such that when he sing a good song like Beautiful Day he made it great by bringing out the substance from the song, just by the simple power of his voice.
The way this album was produced by Mr.Evenrude is also commendable,not the typical Idol albums, not over the top nor under but just RIGHT and PERFECT.
In essence though, I believe that the power of this album can be mostly attributed to Kurt's own (original) songs and songwriting ability. Kurt is a budding musical genius that the world need to nurture, appreciate and enjoy at the same time.
Addendum, the best part of this album is that, there is not one bad song in it and that alone makes for a good buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome , not to be missed!, 27 Mar. 2004
Burjiz (Schaffhausen, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I [Norwegian Idol] (Audio CD)
This is an amazing debut album for this singer who really shocked and pleasantly surprised the world on World Idol. I was blown away by his performance and just had to get this album to experience more of his unique talent. Even my local radio station which loves to ridicule the American Idol show and the singers that come from it had nothing but praise for Kurt.
Unlike many albums, there are no stinkers on this one. It's a nice mix of songs and does a great job of highlighting Kurt's voice. Yes, he does sound a bit like Bono from U2, but he definitely has his own unique feel and spin on these songs. This is a CD well worth getting, and I sure hope Kurt finds the international success he so much deserves...because I want to hear more from him!!

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS ALBUM...NOW!!, 10 Feb. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: I [Norwegian Idol] (Audio CD)
Like other reviewers on here I was blown away by Kurt's voice on World Idol...in fact I only tuned in to the voting 10 mins before the end cos I knew it would be HIM singing the winning song "Beautiful Day." The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end which meant he was good...very good. So, I was really looking forward to hearing his new album "I" and, what can I say, the bloke is a genius, can't put a foot wrong and can sing anything he likes. There isn't a stand out track on there because they are all excellent. He does sound like Bono, it's true but his tracks are reminiscent of Bryan Adams, where you just can't help tapping your feet. Awesome, just awesome. I would love to hear him sing with an orchestra (not opera, silly, ROCK) to see how well he fares. Pretty good I would think.
My only disappointment is that he's not showing his teeth on any of his sleeve photos. After all, no-one noticed Freddie Mercury's teeth so why should Kurt be any different? I wouldn't dare say his voice is as good for fear of upsetting Queen fans but he does have a fabulous voice, which is all that matters, isn't it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, great album, 17 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: I [Norwegian Idol] (Audio CD)
This album is simply splendid. Kurt's voice really shines throughout the album. "Weddings Off" and "Lost in Despair" are two of the best tracks, IMO. Actually all the tracks are really great.
If you want to hear more from Kurt Nilsen, you can hear him from his band Fenrik Lane. I have both albums and they are simply the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars A name the whole world should know!, 18 Jan. 2004
This review is from: I [Norwegian Idol] (Audio CD)
When I first heard Kurt Nilsen, I was blown away. I listened to his rendition of "She's So High," and it honestly took me a while before I could tell the difference from Tal Bachman's version. Aside from his astounding similarities to Bachman and also U2, "I" shows audiences that Nilsen can have his own style. All of the songs are quality and this is probably one of the best CDs that I've listened to this year. I recommend this album to anyone who has a passion for music!

4.0 out of 5 stars What a debut, 14 Jan. 2004
This review is from: I [Norwegian Idol] (Audio CD)
After having heard Kurt on World Idol I was blown away be his performance. However, as is usually the way, I expected an album to be average at best. Especially an Idol album. Boy - was I wrong! If you love Kurt's voice and his rendition of U2's Beautiful Day then this Cd won't dissapoint. Out of 12 tracks, only 2 are covers, and the rest have Kurt's input. It's an excellent album and I'd highly recommend it.
What a voice that man has, eh?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kurt Nilsen - Singer & Songwriter, 19 Jan. 2004
This review is from: I [Norwegian Idol] (Audio CD)
An amazing album to listen to. How refreshing to find out as well that he writes his own material. I cannot get enough of his voice. The other stuff I have managed to get includes Fenrik Lane (the band Jurt sings with) EP 'Come Down Here', Norwegian Idol DVD (in Norwegian) and She's So High single. I need more!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kurt Nilsen Rocks!, 11 Feb. 2004
This review is from: I [Norwegian Idol] (Audio CD)
OK...I admit I blew off most of the "Idol" series, both in the UK and the US (I split my time between both). But then along came Kurt, and my CD player has not been the same. He managed to scoot out my Robbie CDs, and I've yet to find the eject button working and I don't care. This CD would have been impressive for a veteran artist....it's absolutely incredible for a first solo release! He has one of the strongest voices I've heard in years, and writing talent to boot!
Long live Kurt!...am looking forward to Fenrik Lane....and if a US label doesn't take this album for release, they're all idiots.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good album, 1 Mar. 2004
This review is from: I [Norwegian Idol] (Audio CD)
I first heard Kurt Nilsen on World Idol on Xmas Day 2003 and was blown away by his voice. So I decided when his album came out I would get it, and I did. The album generally is very good, but there are a couple of weak songs, Games we Play and Breathe you In, I am not keen on those. The best songs without a shadow of a doubt are "She's So High, Smell the Roses and Lost in Despair". So I enjoy all of them except Games we Play and Breathe you In.
But definitely worth buying if you like his voice!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great voice - Hopefully big things to come for Kurt, 30 Jun. 2004
This review is from: I (Audio CD)
I have to say that unless I saw Kurt sing on World Idol I wouldn't have heard his great voice - but I'm pleased I did. I never thought I could hear someone who could put their stamp on a U2 song (Beautiful Day) and end up with a version every bit as good as Bono's. She's So High is another favourite song and the version on the album is also as good as the original if not better. I really hope this lad goes on to become a massive hit - since his voice is really amazing.

I
I by Kurt Nilsen (Audio CD - 2004)