5.0 out of 5 stars Question: What's better then Laurel and Hardy?
Answer: Two of them!
This compilation as its name suggests features Laurel and Hardy playing two roles in the same films.
In Brats they play both father and son.
In Twice Two they play both husband and wife.
In Our Relations they play their own twin brothers.
Published on 25 May 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special
Stan and Ollie go out with their wives, Betty (Betty Healy) and Daphne (Daphne Pollard). However, Stan and Ollie's sailor twins, Alf and Bert, are also in town which leads to many misunderstandings. There is also a plot about giving an engagement ring to the ship's captain (Sidney Toler) which is resolved at the end of the story.

I find that Laurel and Hardy...
Published on 7 Oct 2010 by Alex da Silva

5.0 out of 5 stars Question: What's better then Laurel and Hardy?, 25 May 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Laurel & Hardy Volume 5 - Our Relations/Dual Roles Shorts [DVD] (DVD)
Answer: Two of them!
In Brats they play both father and son.
In Twice Two they play both husband and wife.
In Our Relations they play their own twin brothers.
Our Relations is the main feature on the DVD lasting approximately 70 minutes, and the picture quality as usual with this collection is outstanding. The feature benefits from superior set design and excellent production values.
It is probably the best Laurel and Hardy feature after 'The Sons of the Desert' and 'Way Out West'. The story moves along at a rapid pace, with Laurel and Hardy having most of the screen time, and therefore never becomes boring. (This is a problem with other Laurel and Hardy features such as 'Swiss Miss' and 'Bonnie Scotland' which while having excellent Laurel and Hardy routines devote far too much screen time to less interesting romantic subplots and/or musical numbers).
The colourised version of the film on the DVD is a disappointment, running approximately 6 minutes less then the black and white version. The cuts were made to accommodate American television on which it was first shown. The scenes cut include some of the best moments from the film. Including the sequence involving the photo of them and their twin brothers at the beginning of the film, a real disappointment.
Both Brats and Twice Two last approximately 20 minutes each. Picture quality is again really outstanding, however there appears to be a large amount of back ground noise on the black and white version of Twice Two, which may detract from your overall enjoyment of the film.
I could not detect any cuts from either film in the colourised versions apart from the skate hitting the cat after Ollie has fallen down the stairs in Brats.
Overall this is a really good compialtion, both Our Relations and Brats rank with the teams very best films, and Twice Two although not really top notch Laurel and Hardy is still entertaining.
I would therefore have no hesitation in recommending this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laurel and Hardy and Laurel and Hardy, 25 Feb 2014
I've banged my head pretty hard! I'm seeing double!

This DVD contains one of my favourite films from the `Laurel and Hardy' series as well as two related shorts. All have one thing in common. Laurel and Hardy play more than one character. They play themselves twice over. I love stories featuring doubles of characters we know and love, and Laurel and Hardy takes this approach to great advantage. It's something I enjoy when wanting to see how the trouble and comedy increases with Stan and Ollie meeting their twin brothers, their little boys and their identical wives with put-on female voices. This is a DVD release you don't want to miss featuring `Our Relations' and other dual shorts.

`OUR RELATIONS'

`Our Relations' is definitely my favourite film from the `Laurel and Hardy' series. It's a film that doesn't rely a lot on slapstick, but more on situation and identity crisis when supporting characters get confused or when Laurel and Hardy are being mistaken for somebody else. As Alfie Laurel says, `That explains everything. They've been mistaken for us and we've been mistaken for them.' It's a lovely little film which I enjoy watching over and over again.

This DVD contains two versions of this film - the black and white version and the colour one. Personally I prefer the `black and white' version, merely because there's a lot more scenes in it compared to the `colour' version where scenes were cut out probably due to time and constraints.

The `black and white' version contains some really funny scenes which I wish had been included in the `colour' version as well. For example, when Ollie's trying to read the letter from his mother, Stan is eating celery nosily crunching his way always interrupting Ollie to his annoyance. I just couldn't help myself laughing and when Ollie stops Stan and says `Don't be rude!' his glasses fall off and end up in the soup. `Now look at what you've done!' says Ollie, and I burst out laughing always at that. It's just so funny. Other scenes that were cut from the colour version and still in the black and white are either scenes setting up the characters of places e.g. when we meet Alf and Bert (the Laurel and Brother twin brothers) for the first time with Finn or when we come to the Pirate club.

The story of `Our Relations' is this. Stan and Ollie receive a letter from Ollie's mother who tells them that their twin brothers Alf and Bert are dead. But these twins aren't dead as they come from their sailing ship the Periwinkle where they're asked by their captain to pick up a package containing a pearl ring and to meet them at a beer garden. Whilst at the beer garden, they meet two lovely ladies Alice and Lily who they want to treat during their shore leave. But they ain't stocked up for cash, and go to find their friend Finn (James Finlayson) who's taken their salary for `saving' to become millionaires. When Finn refuses to give them their money, they soon find themselves taking their clothes off and stuck at Finn's place until he comes back if ever comes back. He wouldn't say `yes' and he wouldn't say `no'. Then Stan and Ollie turn up at the beer garden with their lives and are immediately mistaken for Alf and Bert by the waiter, Alice and Lily and many others. It all leads to an identity crisis where the captain is on the hunt to get back the pearl ring that switches from either Stan or Alf and Ollie or Bert.

This is a comedy classic that works well for Laurel and Hardy who really plays both dual roles very well. It may seem confusing since the twin brothers they play aren't so dissimilar from each other. Alfie's just the same as Stan being so dim and Bert `s just the same as Ollie being so pig-headed. You can the difference between these two when Alfie and Bert are wearing sailor outfits whereas Stan and Ollie wear their trademark clothes. But it all gets confusing and out of hand when Alfie and Bert wear Stan and Ollie's clothes when the wives pick them up out of jail and they go to a nightclub. There is a clue that makes the brothers different to each other despite wearing the same clothes. Stan wears a bow tie whereas Alf wears a straight tie; and Ollie wears a straight tie whereas Bert wears a bow tie. Are you with me so far? Ah well, don't worry. You can still enjoy this film despite the confusion.

There's also clues in the music, which I loved hearing in the background to this film especially.

Laurel and Hardy are joined again by James Finlayson who's proven himself to a third member of this comedy duo and is a perfect foil for both of these characters with his `dohhhhhhh' and hilarious facial experisons. It's not certain what his character's motivation in this film is, but he certainly isn't intent on keeping Alf and Bert's savings since he refuses to give their money back to them. I love it when he mistakes Stan and Ollie for Alf and Bert and he gets his head splattered with mustard, his teeth get smashed and his noses get burnt. It's always a treat to see Finn in these `Laurel and Hardy' films as it adds to the comedy and provides more to this bumbling duo complementing them.

The rest of the supporting cast include Alan Hale playing Grogan, the waiter at the beer garden and possibly own and Sidney Toler who plays the captain. There's also Laurel and Hardy's wives Daphne Pollard and Betty Healy who Ollie calls his wife `mama' and Stan calls his wife `Bubbles'. I like it Alf and Bert describe them when they see him. `I kinda like that big fat blonde.' - Stan's wife. `The little one wasn't so bad.' - Ollie's wife. Daphne Pollard plays Ollie's wife again in the short 'Thicker Than Water'. There's also Alice and Lily (played by Iris Adrian and Lona Andre), whom Alf and Bert fancy, and Aruther Housman who as always plays a really funny drunk joining Laurel and Hardy either at the beer garden or the Pirate club.

I love this film a lot. `Our Relations' is lovely film with Laurel and Hardy and one I'll always remember. It can still be enjoyed today and has the potential to make you laugh out loud, especially that scene where Stan and Ollie get their feet in barrels of cement and are outrageously about to fall over the dock.

`BRATS'

This is another good film with doubles. A short film where Laurel and Hardy play their sons. Little boys who look exactly like them, except just smaller and wearing boys clothes. With clever camera work of its time, this is a pleasure little short that can be enjoyed forever.

There are two versions of this film. There's a black and white version and a colour version.

`Brats' has Laurel and Hardy playing both themselves as adults and themselves as little boys. I love it when they as boys are so boyrous and play building blocks with each other. They tend to be pretty rough with each other when playing, much like their fathers. Stanley Jr.'s more violent than Ollie Jr. and throws a building block on Ollie Sr.'s head when he and Stan Sr. play chess which got me laughing. I loved it when Ollie threatens the two boys to go to bed if they don't behave. The two boys suggest playing hide and seek and they don't want to be `it' which ends up in them breaking something. Their dads are pretty mad about this and I found it funny when Ollie shouted `That's enough! Get to bed!', pointing to their room. Then Stan goes, `Yes! Get to bed!' and points but hits Ollie in the face with his finger. That made me laugh out loud.

One moment I really found funny from this film was when Stan and Ollie leave the boys' room and talk about how important it is to be kind of them. And Ollie says `A little kindness goes a lonnng way!' And he's right there. And he goes the long way, when he trips over some roller skates and rides down the stairs to the bottom. Seeing him go down with his legs up in the air was so funny and weird that I couldn't stop laughing when I saw. It's just so weird the way Ollie goes down and the way they shot it. Even to this day I can't stop laughing and smirk when I think about it now as I'm writing this review already.

Towards the end, Ollie and Stan try to get their boys to sleep. I love it when Ollie sings `Go to sleep, my baby! My baby! My baaaaaaaaaby!' and he's winning in getting little Stanley and Oliver to sleep. Then when Stan interrupts with his high pitch voice, they wake up and Ollie has to sing again to make them go to sleep again. But as Stan and Ollie try to creep away without disturbing them, they step on a horn which wakes them up again. It gets Ollie annoyed.

I love it when little Stanley and Oliver fight it out with boxing gloves and when they're trying to bluff to their parents by sleeping in their beds. Then when they're discovered Ollie demands who's making all this noise. Little Oliver accuses Little Stanley `He hit me!'. Little Stanley says `I did not!'. But he gives himself away when he's still got his boxing glove on his hand which is really funny.

`TWICE TWO'

Again another funny short film with Laurel and Hardy that's a classic. This time, Laurel and Hardy not only play themselves but also their wives who are exactly like them with put-on female voices.

There are two versions of this film. A black and white version and a colour one.

It's the first anniversary since Laurel and Hardy married each other's sisters. Stan married Ollie's sister Fanny and Ollie married Stan's sister who Stan calls `sis' and Ollie calls `baby'. They celebrate their wedding anniversary by having a dinner and a quiet evening at home. But it all goes pear-shaped when Stan and Ollie's wives fight it out with each other.

I enjoyed it when Laurel and Hardy are playing double as their wives. I found Laurel as his sister really funny especially when she speaks in that high pitch voice provided by Carol Tevis (who provided voices for the Munchkins in `The Wizard of Oz' apparently), making her sound silly and funny when she speaks or giggles. I also enjoyed Hardy playing his sister as well who's voiced by Mae Wallace (who also played a Nurse in 'County Hospital', another Laurel and Hardy film). I love it when they're on the phone to their husbands saying hello to each other and one of them asks `Is that you...?' and they go `Yes!'. I also enjoyed it when the two wives sort out the table with the cake, and the cake ends up on Fanny's face. That's really funny.

I found it funny when Stan tries to get some strawberry ice cream and it turns out they haven't any. Stan uses the 15 cents to call his wife up at home, and keeps asking for different flavours such as tooty-fruity, chocolate and vanilla. I got to learn more about different flavours of ice cream from this. I've had tooty-fruity flavour ice cream when I was a youngster. It turns out they don't sell ice cream where Stan's gone to and it's next door. Thing is the man behind the bar said to Stan, `I told you! We don't sell ice cream here! Next door!' But he didn't tell Stan at all, since all he said was `We haven't any!'. So it's not really Stan's fault is it since he wasn't know and he used up the 15 cents `calling them up'.

I enjoyed it when they're all at the table and having dinner, and the two wives are bickering and insulting each other during dinner. Fanny at one point calls Stan's sister a `hussy' and Stan almost throws dinner plates at her. Just because Stan's sister wears the pants in her family, Ollie's sister tells her she's not wearing them in hers. The two wives don't get on with each other and Stan and Ollie are there to referee to stop them fighting. In the end, Stan's sister's the one who throws a newly ordered cake in Fanny's face, which was pretty hilarious to watch.

My dad loves this short film just as much as I do since it contains some pretty funny moments and is a wonderful to see Laurel and Hardy playing female versions of themselves.

This DVD collection has been a treat. It contains three of my favourite films with Laurel and Hardy and I love it when they're playing doubles with each other. Highly recommended and a joy to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars L&H, 22 Feb 2014
art teacher (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
We have quite a few from this series know and they never fail to raise a few laughs. Like watching the colourised versions

5.0 out of 5 stars great act, 27 April 2013
the greatest double act ever ,i defy anybody to watch this dvd and not laugh,Thank you very much indeed a realy great buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Service, 4 Jan 2013
Christmas Present, Many thanks for a great service ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Brats' is THE one here, for me...., 10 May 2012
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Whilst the quite well known 'Our Relations' is the main feature on DVD 5 in the Complete box set, I actually think that much shorter 'Brats' has more of the pair's classic slapstick than the others and is funnier.

'Brats' has Ollie & Stan creating havoc around and on a pool table, whilst the brats in question are two little boys (impish Stan & Ollie again) with everything, including the furniture made much bigger to make them appear small. At one point an animated mouse appears to have been drawn onto the film's negatives, the creature being on Ollie's back whilst Laurel gets a gun to shoot it off. The tiny pair then take a massive bath that overflows, disastrously (of course) then they undertake a boxing match - Stan flailing about with huge boxing gloves will always looks funny. Adult Ollie then sings them a lullaby that goes on to sound more like an opera!

'Our Relations', in contrast, takes too long to get going and at over an hour long, it's only the last 10 mins that it gets genuinely funny. It's more the mix up of identities than the script that's amusing. The ending, though, is absolute classic, as the pair's feet are set in concrete and they fall about like Subbuteo footballers.

The last, Twice Two, has the pair dressed up as women and their voices are dubbed. Their normal, male counterparts have verbal matches too and then all four. These are quite good, but nothing special.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special, 7 Oct 2010

I find that Laurel and Hardy are always a joy to watch but I usually end up disappointed with the laughs. This film falls into that category. It's not funny, just mildly amusing in parts. And there are some sections which are just purely tedious, eg, the phone booth slapstick and the never-ending swaying when their feet are set in concrete. There are a few funny moments, eg, Ollie's confused face with each misunderstanding at the bar but the plot of the twins being mistaken for each other has moments that confuse the audience, especially at the high class venue "The Pirate" towards the end of the film. Overall, the film is OK but I don't remember laughing.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 28 Aug 2010
ive got the whole set and it a must for all laurel and hardy fans.

Laurel & Hardy Volume 5 - Our Relations/Dual Roles Shorts [DVD]