3.0 out of 5 stars only for Evans collectors, 21 Mar 2009
Mr. A. W. Powsey "red squirrell" (reading, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nirvana (International Release) (Audio CD)
I have been listening to Bill Evans since the early 60s and have loads of his albums. There is some fine playing on this BUT I cannot fully recommend this album. Firstly on the first couple of tracks Evan's piano is distorted, especially when he is playing the block chords. It is the same on all my equipment. He is either using the sustaining pedal too much or the piano is badly recorded. The other instuments are recorded with great definition so it is a mystery to me. Next, the cd is way too short..just over 30mins. Apparently there was a fire at the depository and the original tapes were destroyed so no additional tracks could be added to the cd. Finally, Herbie Mann is playing in quite a subdued manner and mostly in the lower register. Now Im used to the flute being played as a second instrument by sax players When I heard Mann in concert it was great to hear jazz flute played by a master so I was a bit disappointed with his performance on this disc. So really this is for one who just has to complete his evans collection.

1.0 out of 5 stars Insult to serious fans, 26 July 2012
This review is from: Nirvana (Audio CD)
I'm clearly not the first - or last - to pick up on the technical quality of this re-release. To be blunt, it's a disgrace. If ever a musician demanded an impeccably clean sound it's Evans. How else can the listener appreciate his touch and subtle voicings? Everything here is fogged in what we used in analogue days to call intermodulation distortion. Ironically it's only really the piano that shows it up and strangely, by the final track, its disappeared, perhaps suggesting carelessness? I sent my copy back to the retailer in disgust. I may be in the minority of current listeners in that I have been listening to the great man's recordings since the early sixties, but how are we to demonstrate his genius to new ears with material of this shoddy nature? Shame on you Koch/Atlantic!

ARRAY(0xa4443b10)

Nirvana (International Release)
Nirvana (International Release) by Bill Evans (Audio CD - 2004)