on 18 May 2004
Every single I have bought by Muse has been trully worthwile. Although I'm an uber-fan who would go out of his way to shine a light on muse, this is an excellent single. Muse, like radiohead have also produced some fantastic B-sides. Take Time Is Running Out and Hysteria with excellent B-sides such as The Groove or Eternally Missed. They were both extraordinary and deserved a place on Absolution and Eternally Missed reminscient of Ruled By Secrecy. And what's more, Fury is the newcomer to this list. And it's doesn't fail to impress.
It really does go with Sing For Absolution very well indeed. With the repeating "cleanse away our sins" it's a very fitting song with Sing For Absolution ("our souls remain unrectified"). An extardordinary song... but to the real deal, the A-side. Maybe a slight underated, Sing For Absolution boasts the most poetic lyrics on Absolution. It is also the first single by Muse from Absolution to not be a hailstorm of guitars and thundering basslines or screaming vocals. And it's not disappointing, no. I honestly thought Muse were going to release a typically heavy song eg. The Small Print but, to my utter disbelief they went ahead to release SFA. Perhaps not the most talked about song on Absolution this was far from a lot of people's expectations. But Muse still need a breakthrough single and maybe a lighter song will do that.
This is indeed lighter and boasts probably the best production next to Butteflies and Hurricanes on the album. The lyrics are the most powerful feature of SFA, and, along with Matt Bellamy's vocals (which are very underated), they make the song a great achievement of Muse. I would probably expect an improvement on this song in later albums, as Muse are definitely progressing for the better.
One disappointment, however. If you ever hear the live version of Sing For Absolution there is a warped background music which is absolutely stunning. Disappointingly there is no live version on either the CD or DVD and it is amazing with all of Muse' efforts to prduce such a fine single that this feature was overlooked.
For those fans who are curious, the next and fifth single of Muse is rumoured to be Butterflies and Hurricanes.
on 11 June 2004
While I was not a big fan of the song the first time I heard it (it scarily reminded me of a Geri Halliwell song) it has grown on me immensely. The twinkling guitar works perfectly as the song eventually builds up to the crashing finale.
The real reason I purchased this however was for the b-side, as I already own the album. I was not disappointed. Fury is one of Muses best songs with a thumping bass riff through the verse along with the effects ridden guitar work and the chorus which just builds and builds, not unlike the b-side off the Hysteria single, Eternally Missed. I feel though that this is just simply a better song. Matts vocals work excellently on the chorus, building from a low quietness up to a big almost shouted close. Overall this single is worth buying if you already own sfa on the album, as the b-side has some of the most beautiful singing/guitar/keyboards in the chorus and two of their best thumping riffs in the verse/outro.
So buy it. Buy it now.
on 4 June 2004
This song is absolutely perfect the delay on the piano intro brings so much atmosphere,the guitar solo is brilliant there is nothing at all rong with this song it cant get any better. the b-side fury aswell is brilliant it compliments sing for absolution perfectly. if u like muse in the slightest you have to buy this single!!
on 28 April 2004
Being a long-time Muse fan, I have to admit that I have never beendisappointed by any of the records they have chosen to release. Yet againthe trio have rolled out an absolute corker in "Sing For Absolution". Withit's touching verses and anthemic chorus, it has all the right ingrediantsplus a great guitar line. If you haven't seen the video, check that outas well, as it is just as stunning as the song!
on 14 July 2004
Another good single from the boys but i think the b-side steals the show, Fury is without doubt the best b-side this band have ever done!!! Check it out great single cd...
on 16 May 2004
Out of all the tracks that could have been released off Absolution, I feel that Sing For Absolution was a good choice. It has a great tune and lyrics. Matt's voice is fantastic on this song. It also has great guitar solos.
on 19 May 2004
What can I say....After the last album you thought that it could never get better....
But the new album is something that no-one expected...and I have to say its better than most of the Albums I own.
The new single is another Track that shows how good Muse really are.
Trust me...it won't disappoint!
on 21 May 2004
he i dont like this single. im an enourmous muse fan and am a bit annoyied about their choice of b-side as it was already on the japanese release (which i own) i know this doesnt reply to everyone and if you didnt buy it then this is a great single and should have 5 stars instead of one. and also the video does nt fit in with the mood of the song like hysterias