5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Solid Product
Published on 22 Jun 2007 by Alexander T. Knapp

3.0 out of 5 stars Imperia Italiana Italian Pasta Maker Set
Not too bad does the job. Got the hang of it and rolling out some good sheets. Just two little faults
1. Handle does not lock in and you have concentrate on it as it just falls out. So you have to push and turn at the same time.
2. Also the clamp is not very firm on a work surface and it has to be tight to stop machine moving about. Because it has only a small...
Published 7 months ago by Gadjetgardener

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Solid Product, 22 Jun 2007
Alexander T. Knapp "Global Nomad" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imperia Italian Pasta Gift Set (Kitchen & Home)
Bought this a month ago after taking a pasta class at cooking school, and have been using it once or twice a week since with great glee! It's incredibly solid construction, easy to use and reliable, and the extra cutting attachments fit cleanly onto the main roller unit. While I initially scoffed at the small size of the rolling pin included, I soon realised that it was clearly by design as anything larger would be pointless when initially rolling out the dough to first put through the machine. The included ravioli tray is a bit light, and the holes themselves are (in my opinion and experience) too small for properly tasty ravioli, but it's a minor detail, and one easily remedied by the use of the mouth of a white wine glass to cut larger circles from the rolled pasta instead.

I've since learned that Imperia is the brand of choice of most of my chefs-professors (who are themselves Italian), which is a nice endorsement. Highly recommended....

4.0 out of 5 stars Equipment great, instructions poor, 22 Feb 2008
Mr. P. Griffin "Griff" (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imperia Italian Pasta Gift Set (Kitchen & Home)
The SP150 is brilliant, much better than my previous one. However, the instructions are very poor, particularly with this pack as you get no more information than in the standalone machine. This means you don't get told to grease the ravioli tray (oops - completely ruined) or not to thin the pasta sheets too much for the spagetti cutter - which I have yet to get to work properly.

Might be better to stick to the simpler product, particularly for beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun, and superb quality, 17 Sep 2007
This review is from: Imperia Italian Pasta Gift Set (Kitchen & Home)
I read the reviews, and hunted high and low for one of these babies, and it was so worth it!
I have to admit that I couldn't bring myself to pay full price, so went off and found a second hand one, noting that lots of people had thought homemade pasta was a good idea, but when it came to the cruch, the amount of effort they had to put in was beyond their enthusiasm. Well, all I can say is that their loss was my gain. The Imperia set is well worth the investment. So many people have said that the higher cost of this is fully justified, and I have to concurr. The pasta machine is heavy, the attachments are so very robust, and the build quality is superb.
The one main thing you need to know, when you're starting out at this is, that you need to give yourself enought time. You can't make a batch of dough, stick it through the mangle, and then shove the resulting outcome in to a pot of boiling water. You need patience. Lots of it.
Make your dough. Let it rest. Mangle it. Let it dry. Shred it. Let it dry some more. Allow yourself loads of time. Make a huge batch, and store the rest, as it's not a clean process - your kitchen will be covered in flour!
Then, when your pasta is nice an dry (as well as hanging it from broom handles bridged across two chairs, you can always find new uses for your clothes airer too!), you can cook the stuff in a few minutes flat. Just make sure you use the biggest pot you have, filled with rapidly boiling water, a good pinch of salt, and dollop of olive oil.
Rescue your pasta before it goes gloopy, and top it with a gorgeous homemade sauce. The taste difference is fantastic. The texture is brilliant. Pasta making is very therapeutic after a long days work, and it is so nice to be able to say 'I made that' (especially when the plates are practically licked clean!).
If you've been contemplating buying one, you should. Put it on your wish list. Borrow one. Just try it. Oh, and then of course clean it - I find a pastry brush, or even a small paint brush is brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Have I not reveiwed this earlier, 23 Mar 2010
This review is from: Imperia Italian Pasta Gift Set (Kitchen & Home)
I purchased this pasta machine on a whim (in January08), thinking I would be able to knock out quick fantastic (cheap) pasta for my family. The first episode was mind boggling and it included every member of the family who walked passed or was in the house at the time. That first attempt must have taken well over an hour, after the dough has rested to produce a few strands of very soft stuck together pasta, which were hung over radiator hangers to stop it sticking together. When I eventually came to use it, it had dried to the hangers and it snapped as I tried to get the strands of. Not to be defeated (after all the hard work) I salvaged some of the strands and cooked it. Surprisingly, it was pretty good. As my daughter commented hours to prepare and five minutes to be eaten.
I can now say what a fantastic machine this is and how quick and easy it is to knock out pasta sheets for lasagne and tagliatelle.
The secret is in the dough itself, if it is to soft and sticky (which I think can be the main problem) add more flour, keep everything well coated in a fine dusting layer of flour. I had the ravioli tray included in my set, this also if a work of art. This also can produce fantastic ravioli. You must be patient and practice a lot.
I do agree that the instructions are poor. I used the internet for information and utube to watch people using their machines (or similar) and learnt a huge amount. I am now about to purchase the ravioli attachment that fits onto the machine. I am sure this will be another learning process with some failures and hopefully lots of success.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 22 Mar 2010
Eugene Niemand (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imperia Italian Pasta Gift Set (Kitchen & Home)
I was quite weary when I bought this as I understood the physical dynamics this machine needs to endure.

I have to say when I received the box from Amazon before opening it I knew this is the real deal, that box was darn heavy :). After opening the box and removing the machine I was well surprised with the quality. Every piece I took out felt as solid as the previous one.

This machine has made lovely pasta for me and my wife, she has helped me a couple of times and it is great fun as well. I have made quite a few different types of batches and the machine is still working as it did on day one. One important note: You need to get your dough right, you cant have rubbish dough and expect the machine to do miracles.

I would definitely recommend this to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars best 30th bday gift, 8 April 2011
This review is from: Imperia Italian Pasta Gift Set (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this machine for my fiance's 30th birthday present 2 weeks ago and he absolutely loves it. He's made pasta twice since then and as I type this he is making Lamb Pierogi at home. Ahhh, bless him!!! He's in love with the machine. The first time he made pasta it was a bit thick but that was because he didnt want it to break while being sent through the machine but the second time was just perfect. He now thinks instead of carrying cakes/wine/snacks to people's house when we are invited, he wants to make homemade pasta and tie it together in wrap and string as a present. GREAT idea! I thought all this would have been time consuming but it actually isn't. The taste of homemade pasta is SOOOO different from commercial pasta. EXCELLENT STUFF !!!
Raquel & Adam

5.0 out of 5 stars A Star Pasta Machine, 8 Feb 2009
Kiggle (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imperia Italian Pasta Gift Set (Kitchen & Home)
The IMPERIA PASTA MACHINE is a real star of a product. It is exceedingly good value for money and makes the production of pasta into child's play. My first attempt was not good, I got the consistency of the pasta dough rather too runny, but as recommended by the manufacturers the first run must be regarded as useful only for cleaning the machine after its construction. Thereafter it is a simple matter to make good pasta. The extra attachments work well, but I haven't tried to make ravioli yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Jan 2010
This review is from: Imperia Italian Pasta Gift Set (Kitchen & Home)
Well constructed and a solid feel to all the components of this set. Worked well first time out of the box. It did exactly what it was supposed to do and did it well.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first pasta machine!, 19 July 2009
banzaisi (Maidenhead, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imperia Italian Pasta Gift Set (Kitchen & Home)
I just got this for my birthday, and it's an awesome beast of a machine.

I used "00" grade flour from the local Italian Continental Stores first time round, and had great fun making spaghetti and then tagliatelle with the machine.

As you may have seen from other reviews, the printed the instructions are not great - although there are some good video reviews / tutorials on YouTube, which I found very helpful to watch.

My personal recommendation would be to ensure that the pasta dough you're working never gets "sticky" - just sprinkle or even brush some flour on it with your hands every so often. If you have good quality flour and are using eggs, then it shouldn't fall apart (if it does, then fold in half and shove through at the widest setting a couple of times to "knead" the dough).

The spaghetti attachment works well for me on the third thinnest setting (I noticed some reviewers had difficulty with that one).

Great price on Amazon, so what are you waiting for?

5.0 out of 5 stars SO much fun!, 8 April 2011
This review is from: Imperia Italian Pasta Gift Set (Kitchen & Home)
I'm a big fan of fresh pasta, and having made my own pasta previously, I got fed up trying to roll it out, and always ended up with fat tagliatelli and aching arms!

This pasta machine is brilliant!

It's a bit fiddly getting the dough right first time, as I'm sure their suggested quantity of eggs to flour is too dry - I ended up using 2 eggs to 250g of flour instead, which worked much better, then added a little extra flour if it became too sticky when rolling.

Rolling the pasta sheet is easy. The first couple of attempts look a mess, but as you re-fold then feed back through, it eventually resembles a sheet of perfect (with slightly wobbly edges) pasta. The add on bits are easy to use too, and I had great fun making spaghetti last night!

Negatives:
* The instructions are somewhat rubbish, and why do they have to put the English in lbs and oz?? (see other languages for grams!)
* Tricky to clean - you'll need some sort of brush, as the pasta does get trapped at some points.

If you're the sort of person who doesn't like having to faff around making something, then this perhaps isn't for you, but you really can't beat fresh pasta, and personally I had SO much fun rolling the pasta sheets out. I found it therapeutic!

Imperia Italian Pasta Gift Set