5.0 out of 5 stars The Obvious Choice
Published on 31 July 2010 by J. Gould

Published 12 months ago by EZF

5.0 out of 5 stars The Obvious Choice, 31 July 2010
J. Gould "cinema lover" (Downham Market, Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black & Decker A6442 Dual Line 2X6 For GL660PC/670PC (DIY & Tools)
This particular model of a Black and decker Strimmer has served me well for my garden. Unfortunately, outlets that used to sell the part have either closed or stopped stocking that model. Thank goodness for Amazon. Order, receive the part in double quick time. No fuss or trauma. Thoroughly recommended. It is becoming the norm to order replacement parts for possessions which retail outlets no longer stock for a myriad of reasons from Amazon or directly from the wholesalers. Again, thank you Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Price, 5 Oct. 2013
Ordered this unit not knowing that it would fit my GL546 Reflex Plus unit, but at around a fiver i took the chance. Arrived two days earlier and was very easy to fit. Glad to say that it did fit my four year old model, saving me money at half the price of a unit on a 'spares' website, as i was then thinking about buying a new unit as it was only eleven pounds extra to do so. So if you have a reflex plus unit then take the chance as it would most probably fit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Strimmer update, 22 July 2010
Makes the job of replacing the strimmer cable very easy. Fitting a spool and cable is a more difficult job,and time consuming.The complete assembly simply clips in and overcomes any wear and tear on the old cover. Worth the small price difference.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed as it's supposedly a genuine Black & Decker replacement ..., 8 July 2014
The line became tangled after just a few minutes of strimming. I managed to untangle it but it immediately became tangled again. This time is was wrapped tight around the middle bit. I managed to get it out eventually but the line was a complete mess. I couldn't face trying to rewind it and have asked for a refund. Very disappointed as it's supposedly a genuine Black & Decker replacement part. Just hoping it hasn't wrecked my strimmer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black & Decker A6442 Dual Line 2X6 For GL660PC/670PC by Black & Decker (DIY & Tools), 31 Aug. 2012
This item is excellent for the following reasons:

1. It is a genuine OEM product.
2. It is very inexpensive. £5.98 compared with £5.48 for the spool alone and £5.50 for the spool cover (as of 31 August 2012).
3. Winding your own spool, whilst cheaper, is a nightmare and more likely to lead to malfunction.
4. Even with Super Saver delivery, it arrived within 3 days.

I have seen criticisms of this item in other reviews, mostly regarding line breaking/tangling however users should take note that:

1. The product is designed for grass and soft vegetation. If you take on some hardy shrubs or brickwork then expect problems.
2. Cleaning the guard and line cutting blade too often can actually exacerbate matters. A softer and dirty surface will help preserve the line.
3. Likewise a brand new spool cover will be far more keen to cut the line prematurely - so three spools for every new cover would be a good idea.

The only problem that I have is: what to do with the old spools? It seems such a shame to throw such a well engineered product in the bin! Perhaps I should have more practice at winding my own spools....this by he who must obey!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cost effective replacement parts which saved me having to purchase a new strimmer, 8 July 2014
I was about to discard my Black & Decker GL660 strimmer after the spool cap shattered. I thought there is no way I am going to find a replacement as I had bought the unit some years ago. Well I was lucky enough to find it on Amazon both the spool and the cap. In order to make sure I had a some spares and also to replace the current one, I bought bundles to which are much more cost effective as the minimum order for free post is £10.
2 X Black & Decker A6442 Dual Line 2X6 For GL660PC/670PC £8.18
Black & Decker A6441 Dual Line 2X6 For GL660PC/670PC £3.70
Total with VAT £11.88

I have tried the units and they work just like before. I point I noticed was the line cutter mechanisms on the caps are better designed than the original ones. If I knew these units were going to last another few years, I would have given 5 stars. So all in all good and it has saved me having to buy another streamer.

I would love to have purchased a cost effective lawn edge cutter but unfortunately most of the ones on the market which use blades are a few hundred pounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars A straight "drop in" replacement., 15 July 2013
Easy Peasy! Old line dispenser removed, unthread the first part of the line which is threaded through the dispenser to keep it in place whilst in storage, transit, clip the new dispenser in the strimmer and off you go. It immediately trims the line to the correct length on start up. A perfect and simple answer when replacing the line.

3.0 out of 5 stars Garden Euipment, 14 Aug. 2011
This unit is the weakest part of the strimmer. Continually touching the ground causes the plastic casing to wear rapidly and can therefore be dangerous if it breaks up. (at least four fitted since bought, about 6 years ) When first bought I found it very difficult to remove the strimmer line reel and also the line is used up rapidly if it touches solid edges ( walls, wood surrounds )where it cuts off a new length of line. This does appear to happen on all types of similar make strimmers. This product (reel, line and holder ) is very good value when compared to buying individually.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now my strimmer works!, 24 July 2009
B. Dale (Oswestry, Shropshire) - See all my reviews
I made many attempts to make my strimmer work with new strimmer line, however without success. Fitting the new cassette got it working correctly immediately because it contained the correct strimmer line which doesn't appear to be available from the usual DIY stores.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strimmer performing properly again, 6 Sept. 2013
I had to buy a complete cap/spool/line assembly again as the small black plastic rachet fitting had broken. Otherwise I would have just bought a new spool and line. This fitting seems to be the weak point in the design. However I find the line in B&D spools performs much better than generic replacement line. Should be OK again for strimming for another year or so.