4.0 out of 5 stars Fun with Fondue
Published on 29 Oct. 2009 by Art Williams

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
1.0 out of 5 stars Libs
We needed a second fondue set, as we were 8 round the table for beef fondue. This new set did not get hot enough (preheated along side my original fondue first), and I couldn't adjust the flame as the whole fuel basket moved round when twisted. The beef fillet cubes were stewing in the oil.
We tried it for a second time last night for 4 of us - preheated for an hour...
Published on 19 Sept. 2009 by ESB

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun with Fondue, 29 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Kitchen Craft Master Class Cast Iron Enamelled Black Fondue Set, Black (Kitchen & Home)
Having had Fondue at Nana's house the kids kept asking for one at home. Having checked a few kitchen shops and department stores I tried online and found this set. My partner is always saying "you only get what you pay for" and thought that the price tag of £19.99 may have been a bit on the cheap side. That was until it arrived 24hours later. The oil pot is cast iron and is very easy to clean after use with its "non stick" type coating on the inside. The gel packs that are recommended burn very well and last for 2hrs+ which is great with this type of meal. The oil pot has a lid which is indented so that each user can rest there fork in front of them and it stops them from rolling around to the other side of the pot when others take there tasty morsels out.
You cannot go wrong with this set and for the amount of times you'll probably use it and as good as they are I wouldn't recommend spending the extra £60 on a Le Cruset set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fondue set, 1 Feb. 2009
D. Reynolds - See all my reviews
Big and sturdy, well made and attractive. Only negative point would be that it doesn't come with any fuel to get you started.

4.0 out of 5 stars great item for the money, 27 Mar. 2009
This was a super buy for the money. I was looking for something that was suitable for all 3 types of fondue and this was the only good quality one I could find for this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid!, 5 Jan. 2010
A. Ladds (UK) - See all my reviews
Me and a friend both got one of these for a dinner party. We did use both, and there was easily enough cheese in each for 8 people.
I'd recommend heating it up on a stove before transferring it to the burner to keep it warm, rather than trying to heat it fully from the burner.

Previous posters have recommended the gel packs. I think they're rather expensive for what you get, a bottle of meths will last you a lot longer and is much cheaper.

This is a very high quality product, feels very solid and is an excellent price. The non-stick inner is very easy to clean, the left over cheese peeled right out when it cooled down.

I can't comment on its use for meat, however. I'll have to try that out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just GREAT!!!!, 3 Oct. 2010
E. Portillo "esportillo" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I love it!!! nothing stick. It should came with a fire gel at least just one.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent purchase, 15 Feb. 2011
Brought this product this month and tried it out on family and friends. What a result the fondue was so tasty and the ceramic dish was non stick and it looked really posh on the dining table.
I would highly recommend this product. I love it

1.0 out of 5 stars Libs, 19 Sept. 2009
ESB (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
We tried it for a second time last night for 4 of us - preheated for an hour - still not hot enough. Half way through dinner as our beef was stewing, I changed to my original set.
I now need to see if I can get my money back and find one that does get hot enough and retains the heat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fond of Fondue, 27 Sept. 2012
Just what I wanted, I use this for meat fondue as it retains the heat in the cast iron and the oil stays much hotter for longer. It is heavy so make sure that you put it on a solid stable surface to avoid accidents.

4.0 out of 5 stars Competent product for a low price, 18 Dec. 2010
I am quite happy with this product and would gladly recommend it.

I like fondue because it makes a meal last longer and better than shoving the main course in your mouth in 5 minutes. And it's simple enough so that even non-cooks survive the meal. This set makes it almost a no-brainer.

For fondue I prefer cast-iron enamelled pots with burners like these because they last and most of all have none of the highly dangerous wires of electric fondue sets. The construction is sturdy enough not to transmit heat from the boiling pan all the way down to the table. The enamel means the pan is easy to clean and other than some discolouration due to use on the bottom I can't find anything wrong with it.

My only gripe is with the burner. Now, the gel cartridges never seem to last the course of the meal - especially when there is the six of you and it's going full blast - and the flimsy nature of the burner supplied with this set really is a pain. Fortunately, I have another burner from a cheese-fondue set which is of an order better and which I use instead. If you intend to use this often, get a spare burner so you don't have to change cartridges on a hot element. Pity yes that it doesn't come with a couple of fuel gel cartridges to get you started but there are lots of offers on Amazon.

There you have it: competent product for a low price.

4.0 out of 5 stars study for price but no fuel, 26 May 2010
I got this as a gift for my sister and we used it straight away. It worked well for a cheese fondue, she has used it again since then but only for cheese so I couldn't comment on how it goes with oil or chocolate but the product description does say it should handle these fine. For the price I think it is quite sturdy and looks well made. The only negative we've had so far is that it didn't come with any fuel. It would've even been nice if it just had enough for your first use. As it was too late when we found out to go buy proper fuel we luckily managed to get it going with alcohol and matches.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›