Price:£4.01+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on 2 July 2010
Pretty simple device and accomplishes what it sets out to do. The ring comes with some sort of manufacturing grease on it which could be the cause of the smoking that some reviewers mentioned, what I did was wash it in hot soapy water for a bit and it was fine.
0Comment47 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 September 2010
For years I have tried to replace my old gas ring reducer which somebody threw out! This one is even better than the last and it is great for stabalising my esspresso coffee pot & small milk pan.
0Comment22 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 April 2012
Imagine the scene if you will. It is the first morning in your new house. The sun streams through the curtainless windows. You pick your way among the packing cases to retrieve the stove-top coffee maker, grinder and coffee beans you have wisely kept out of the hands of the removal men.

You take extra care in the preparation of your first coffee in your new home: this is both a significant ritual in taking true ownership, and an urgently required stimulant. You turn to place the coffee maker on the gas stove and, to your horror, it passes right through to sit on the gas ring below. At first you are disbelieving. And then your weary brain pieces the facts together. And you are led, despite yourself, to a horrifying conclusion: your coffee maker doesn't fit your new stove. Or rather, your new stove doesn't fit your coffee maker.

In mounting panic, the options flash through your mind: should I phone the lawyer and try and reverse the purchase? How long will it take to get a new cooker? Where is the nearest good independent café, and could I negotiate a contract for them to deliver to my door each day?

And then, unbidden, an extraordinary thought enters your mind. You cannot explain where it came from, only that if offers an escape from the crisis that has engulfed you. You reach for your smartphone, and open your Amazon app. Struggling to think of the right search term, you eventually alight upon `gas ring reducer', and the images that appear before your eyes are like dry land to a drowning man.

Simple, cheap, effective, with neat little retainers to prevent slippage. Silver rather than black, it is true; and after a few uses: blackened silver. Not pretty, but what is that stands between a roaring flame and a metal base?

And who cares? You can stay in your house. Your children can attend their new school. Your marriage has been saved. And you can make a perfect cup of coffee whenever you like.

You are Lord of the rings once again.*

*Based on a true story. Any resemblance to a normal person's reactions is completely coincidental.
1111 comments195 of 204 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2012
Imagine my dismay, having bought a very lovely stainless steel biletti coffee maker whilst on holiday in Venice, on arriving home and savouring the thought of a truly tasty coffee when I find the pot will not sit on my gas hob! This reducer ring proved to be the perfect solution. It sits firmly on the top of the gas ring and my biletti coffee maker sits firmly on the reducer ring. Result - perfect coffee! I cannot fault this product.
review image
22 comments10 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 October 2009
Practical effective solution to the problem of small pans on rocky gas rings. First class device.
0Comment23 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 August 2010
This item is excellent - does exactly what I wanted. Makes the ring smaller and enables me to make coffee properly again!
I was gutted when I got a new gas hob and the rings were too big to balance my espresso maker. Seven months on I'm still using this ring reducer, which does exactly what it says on the tin and could not be easier to use.
11 comment44 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2011
The Kitchen craft Gas Ring Reducer looks like a good product and has had some good reviews. But beware, the diameter of the reducer is not stated. If your cooker has an opening over the gas burners exceeding 12.25 cm, you will have a problem with this item. It is too small. Kitchen Craft will not give any positive advise other than to tell you that it is their largest. This might have been acceptable customer service in 1850, but today it is cynical and unsatisfactory. So caveat emptor.
review image
33 comments41 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 April 2012
This little trivet is lightweight, simple and effective. It works not only on gas hobs but camping stoves such as the MSR Whisperlite, making it possible to use a solo espresso Biaggio machine, and so a perfect coffee, while in the wilds. The only down side is that the surface will rust very quickly - within 24hrs - if any water that touches it is not dried off completely.

However, don't buy it from this shop. The £1.92 price is a con. Look at the amount charged for postage. Then compare the total amount with the price of the Kitchen Craft Le'Xpress Gas Reducer Ring from UK Cook Shop (also Amazon marketplace). The latter looks more expensive in the search listing. In fact it's cheaper - only by 25p or so, it's true, but at least it's not trying to attract buyers with a cheap marketing trick.
22 comments26 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
In keeping with the majority of reviewers, we like this ring as we've not (yet!) tipped the espresso maker over whilst using it on our gas hob. Scalding coffee over the kitchen was the reason we got the reducer ring in the first place and it certainly does the job. Ours doesn't clip to the hob thingy either - it just sort of rests on top.

However, now that we've had it about 8 months (and we use it about once a fortnight on average), it's clearly started to show signs of rusting. We've not used abrasive cleaner on it (just Eco-friendly washing-up liquid) and in fact on many occasions after use (bc it only got hot - not dirty), we've just let it cool before stowing it back in the drawer, so the reason for the rusting is not clear.

Not being overly concerned with "new-looking" things, we're not really fussed, but maybe there's a better product out there that'll look good for longer.

Hope this helps!