5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job
Easy to operate; good results; gas available from most supermarkets and places where they sell cigarettes. If you buy it for crème brūlée, practice first on tinned rice pudding (Elizabeth David tip). Difficult to see the point of buying a more expensive model unless you want a different colour.
Published on 9 Mar. 2010 by N. Caiger

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful
We sent this back after using it three times. It leaked, it flared up in alarming ways, it wouldn't adjust. I'm amazed anyone makes such rubbish (especially involving flames and compressed gas). Sent it back, obviously.
Published 20 months ago by Dr Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 9 Mar. 2010
N. Caiger (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Cooks!, 18 Jan. 2010
M. D. Shaw "Arnak" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kitchen Craft Cook's Blowtorch (Kitchen & Home)
Never mind using for cooking, how about model work?
I use mine for soft soldering and bending metal wire by heating it to red heat!
Having had one of the micro blowtorches that were a real pain to use, once I got this device it was so much easier, a really good tool to use and works very well indeed.
I would recommend the product without reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for creme brulee., 4 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Kitchen Craft Cook's Blowtorch (Kitchen & Home)
Easy to use! This blowtorch is easy to fill, lights every time and is simple to adjust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Problem with flame?, 13 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Kitchen Craft Cook's Blowtorch (Kitchen & Home)
I never review items on here, even if there great.

I just noticed some people stating that their lighter does not produce a blow torch like flame, but rather like the flame from a lighter.

There is a screw-able sleeve/nut on the arm of the lighter that when unscrewed covers an air hole which causes this flame.

All the views stating it doesn't work are incorrect. All you need to do is screw it all the way back to the body of the lighter.

SORTED!

10/10 great blow torch

5.0 out of 5 stars What more do you want?, 1 Jun. 2014
Simple clean lines, stable base, push button ignition, adjustable gas flow, and an adjustable air-injection to permit adjustment from pure gas-only flame to a full-on blue-flame torch. I cannot see what else you could want (apart from a good strong pair of scissors to cut your way into the plastic packaging!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not essential but very useful, 26 Oct. 2010
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kitchen Craft Cook's Blowtorch (Kitchen & Home)
I have been using this blowtorch for a couple of years now and have found it very practical as well as easy to use.

Filling with butane (not supplied with the product) is straightforward - the nozzle on the canister fits easily onto a thin tube fitted into the base of the blowtorch. I check one has been correctly inserted onto the other by moving the butane canister gently sideways; if it moves, it isn't on properly, so I have another go. You get a feel for when the blowtorch has been sufficiently filled from changes to resistance and I normally stop in time, if not, a small amount of butane spills out and you can feel the cold but it doesn't hurt and quickly evaporates off.

The length of the flame is controlled via a dial on the top and the flame is ignited via the red button on the side.

I was wary using it at first but gained confidence fairly quickly, helped by the fact that the black ribbed plastic ensures you keep a firm grip. It also feels reassuringly sturdy, without being too heavy. Whilst it is not really an essential piece of equipment to have in the kitchen, it makes life a bit easier and I have no regrets about buying mine, even though it does not get used every day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Kitchen Craft Cook's Blowtorch (Kitchen & Home)

3.0 out of 5 stars Horses for courses e.g. are you making Apple Tart Fine or Crème Brūlée?, 26 Nov. 2011
Mister G (Bristol) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kitchen Craft Cook's Blowtorch (Kitchen & Home)
Whether or not this is suitable is determined by what you want it for, because the flame is pencil thin. If you want a pencil thin flame, then this blowtorch is excellent.

I bought it to make Gordon Ramsay's Apple Tart Fine, the relevance being that I needed to use it to heat multiple individual desserts, each an area the size of a small side plate - i.e. much larger than a ramekin containing a crème brūlée. It was as useless as an ashtray on a motorbike - the flame was so fine that it took painfully long to caramelise each tart, by which time the area I had started on had cooled down, resulting in a barely warm tart (tarts cool quickly - a crème brūlée won't as its deepness, plus the ramekin, helps to retain the heat). I would estimate that a standard DIY blowtorch throws out heat at a rate of between ten and twenty times greater.

Fortunately I hadn't deleted the TV programme so I looked at it and GR used a standard DIY blowtorch. So I went to B&Q & bought one. What a difference!

If you need to brown a small area with pencil-thin accuracy, then this is your man. Otherwise buy a standard DIY blow-torch.

Personally I have doubts as to whether this chef's blowtorch would even be suitable for a crème brūlée for the same reason, but I leave that decision to you (I haven't used it for that so I can't comment). I suggest searching on YouTube for whatever you are making and seeing whether they used a diddy blowtorch or a full-size one.

Incidentally, a DIY blowtorch costs roughly the same as a chef's one and has the advantage that the gas lasts far, far longer (the chef's one ran out of gas after heating approximately 3-4 apple tart fines. Pathetic. And as it starts to run out, the flow of gas decreases so it takes longer to caramelise things - making a painfully slow thing even slower. The solution is to refill it the moment the power starts to decrease).

One advantage of a pencil-thin flame is that there is less chance of burning yourself. But then I would never hold the item that I am heating in my fingers regardless of how fine the flame is as one simple distraction and...

Like someone else commented, it's handy having one of these in the house (if you don't have a gas cooker). I used it to mend a broken piece of plastic where I couldn't buy a replacement part and where cosmetics didn't matter - I used it to heat a paperclip, used that to melt two tiny holes in the plastic, inserted a piece of garden wire & bound the two together. It took 10 minutes to mend it and has never broken since. Far stronger than glue.

Incidentally, I suggest that you try the Apple Tart Fine recipe.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Torch of Class, 14 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Kitchen Craft Cook's Blowtorch (Kitchen & Home)
All too often we hear people offer unjustified, exuberant praise for their kitchen gadgets. How many times have I heard fellow cooks tell me, "I'd be literally lost without my die cast tungsten lobster cracker?" or exercising their shrimps in excitement over the latest rechargeable kiwi skinner?

But here we have something which literally will blow you away. The perfect brulee has eluded so many of us for so long, but this little beauty will char your cap to perfection every time. You can even set it on a timer and leave the naked flame unattended, safe in the knowledge that when you return from shopping, your dessert will be crisp and nutty - as long as the kids didn't get to it first, that is!

It's also handy for melting ice cubes. Be careful though: get too close and it'll take your face off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money., 23 Dec. 2013
This is a very sturdy cook's blowtorch that has several uses around the kitchen - and one of which I purchased it for - lightly scorching/colouring wooded carved animals, on walking stick handles!
Yes it has numerous uses and it is limited by your imagination that.
However, I do think that it could be a little large to use when performing intricate movements in the kitchen or for the uses you have purchased it for.

Kitchen Craft Cook's Blowtorch