5.0 out of 5 stars BAKING STONE/GRIDDLE
You have to season the griddle with oil prior to use but the guide tells you how to do it.

Had a go straight away at making some Welsh cakes and they turned out fine, then tried some chapatis and naan bread. All okay.

Even on a medium heat the griddle cooks very quickly so you have to keep flipping whatever your cooking to avoid it burning...
Published on 17 Feb. 2011 by Bobby George

1.0 out of 5 stars Not reccomended
In theory a good idea but there appears to be problems with quality as the item recieved was a poor quality casting, pitted , and in places shedding small round slithers of razor sharp iron - the couple of bright metal circles to the left of the picture show where these came from. Given this is designed for food preperation, the last thing I want to worry about is a trip...
Published 6 months ago by DP

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Kitchen Craft Cast Iron 27cm Black Steel Baking Stone (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this 'Girdle' to relive my childhood and experience home made 'Tattie Scones'. After conditioning the 'Girdle' I was ready to Rock & Roll! I tried to make the 'Welsh Cakes' recipe included on the item's box and had moderate success - I had the 'Girdle' too hot and the face surfaces cooked before the insides! A new day and I thought I would try to make my 'Tattie Scones' and they were wonderful - the second batch I increased the salt and added pepper and they were even better; so give them a go:

TATTIE SCONES
Mashed Potato ( 1 lb ) {Cold} {I passed mine through a Potato Ricer}
Plain Flour ( 6oz )
Butter ( 2oz )
Salt ( 1/2 tsp )
Pepper ( 1/2 tsp )

METHOD: Combine all the ingredients into a pliable dough and let rest for 20 mins. Heat the girdle for 10/15 mins so that it is up to temperature. Roll out the dough, as thin as possible ( 1 - 2 mm ), and cut out shapes as required. I used a large tumbler to create rounds. Then place on 'Girdle' and leave until it starts to smoke - flip over and repeat for the 2nd side. To keep the 'Girdle' surface clean I used a 'Stanley Blade' scrapper to clear-off any debris. A word from the wise! - don't move the scones when newly laid on the 'Girdle' or you will 'mess-up' the cooking surface (easily rectified with the scrapper).

Happy Cooking

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as an original bakestone, 21 Mar. 2014
I owned an original bakestone which went missing when I moved but I have compared this new one with the old one from memory. I would say they were the same dimension and with the same design/handle. The difference is in the thickness which is not written anywhere on Amazon and is approx 5 to 6mm thick which I would say was thinner than my original. The thinner bakestone will cause your baking to cook faster but not necessarily all the way through but I haven't tried it out yet.

The bakestone comes in it's unfinished straight out of the blacksmith look and had 'three' serious scrape/gouge marks on it which could never have been overlooked at quality control! I didn't send it back as I'm assuming it's a hand made item and will just live with it. I treated the bakestone according to the instructions to seal it and blacken it but these marks did not blacken, are still clearly visible and will probably always annoy me.

The finished product didn't go black but did darken and may darken more over time. I think the final colour and whether it smokes during the treatment process depends whether you use oil (which doesn't smoke) or lard as they would have done in the past, I used oil

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy peasy, 7 Nov. 2011
Mrs. E. C. Wallis "Mrs Wallis" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
A great product to create delicious Welsh cakes! Easy to follow instructions to get the bake stone ready for cooking, just need to do it once, then easy peasy fabulous Welsh cakes! I got 8 out of 10 on my first attempt and 9.5 out of 10 on only my second batch (rated by hard core Welsh Welsh-cake-eaters!).

5.0 out of 5 stars cast iron gridle, 18 Nov. 2011
Ms. Patricia M. Clark "nel_gwyn" (elgin, scotland) - See all my reviews
this is a more modern version of my old pancake girdle as i was brought up to call it. it is good heavy cast iron and although the handle is now on the side instead of over the top i quite like the new position just be careful because it does get hot. i have actually bought this for my daughter because the old ones are near impossible to get apart from antique shops etc but i am delighted with the quality of this one. to make good scottish pancakes a cast iron gridle is essential and will hopefully last more than a lifetime like the old ones. this company sent this with very low cost postage which i was delighted with and it arrived very quickly. will get another one when its my other daughters time to take on the pancake making in her own home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 26 May 2013
I've used this for making naan bread and pizza. It works great on the hob, in the oven and in the barbeque; end result is fantastic.....basically a stone baked pizza....gnammy! So good that I bought a second one (also because one is big enough just for one pizza). Also, it looks and feels very durable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cast irn 'griddle'..., 13 Jan. 2014
Having followed the instructions (enclosed in package) and 'seasoned' my baking stone, I made my first batch of Irish soda farls. Wasn't sure how it would work on my new cooker - my new flat is all electric - but it was just fine! Good value for money and handy for quick, fresh bread. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Oct. 2011
This is a great quality baking stone and gets very hot extremely fast - welsh cakes cook in seconds. It cost more than I first anticipated spending but having now used the product I am glad I decided on spending the extra. It is extremely heavy but stores neatly away in my cupboard. It will probably last me a lifetime as it is made from cast iron. The only draw back if you want to call it one is the process of washing and heating before use so make sure you read the instructions first or your cakes could taste a little strange.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable kitchen object, 29 Jan. 2015
worst_trip "k" (a bloody bad place) - See all my reviews
This cast iron pizza stone is fantastic!

Yes, the initial seasoning process is scary - giant block of super-heated metal to deal with - and a bit of a pain, but you only have to do that once and once it's done and you can start using the stone, it gives terrific results. You can make truly delicious pizza - and I don't even like pizza that much.

So my young kids have gotten into making their own - and we're not idiots, we regularly buy frozen pizza too, but making pizza for lunch is quite time-consuming - kneading the dough, and such - which makes it a pretty good home-based activity to take up part of a wet winter day. A bit of trial and error showed us you just can't cook home-made raw pizza dough successfully in a conventional oven unless you have one of these. You heat the stone up for about 10-15 minutes in the oven beforehand, 'apply the pizza' to the hot surface (unless you have one of those designated pizza-shop giant round spatulas, admittedly this can be tricky) and then back it goes into the oven for about 15 minutes where the stored-up heat from the metal base cooks the dough beautifully (while the ordinary oven cooks the topping).

The stone's a good size. You can use it on the stovetop too. It makes good girdle pancakes - albeit with an awful lot of smoke generated.

I wouldn't be without one of these things now.

5.0 out of 5 stars essential for, 11 Mar. 2014
M. bayley (UK) - See all my reviews
pizzas...well I say that..(ideally I would like a clay oven)... ..When its really hot, I then put a thin tray with pizza on it, does the base of pizza nicely.
I also use it for yorkie puds, same principle, bang stone in oven, and put tray on stone with your chosen fat. When its spittin' , bang in the mix. Once again the base is nice an crispy. mmmmmmmmm. mmmmmmmmm. ...to paraphrase Oliver Hardy.

This is an essential bit of gear. In my opinion. I love gear. lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great product, 20 Dec. 2012
This is the second baking stone I've purchased of a very similar design and, as I expected, it performs well. Heat retention is good from this heavy stone. Make sure to follow the manufacturers' instructions as to preparing the cast iron surface prior to cooking on it first time. It has to be heated initially to 180 degrees C for about twenty minutes to burn away a protective coating. During this process you may smell the coating being burnt off. This is normal. Following that, let it cool and rub cooking or lard, with some salt. Place it on a hob for about fifteen minutes until the surface becomes black. Finally, let it cool and wash away the residue. Then, cook away!

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›