4.0 out of 5 stars it's ok....
Published on 11 Aug 2010 by Rachel London

1.0 out of 5 stars useless piece of kit
I have wanted a mandolin slicer for years and seeing this reasonably priced one I asked my daughter to buy it for me as present. The plastic graters simply mangle the veg and the slicing blade sits at an angle so everything comes out thicker one side than the other, WHY?
And wafer thin? forget it. The thickness it cuts I can easily do by hand.
I am now looking...
Published on 22 April 2009 by J. A. Rowe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars useless piece of kit, 22 April 2009
J. A. Rowe "jean" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kitchen Craft Plastic 7 in 1 Mandoline and Grater- boxed (Kitchen & Home)
And wafer thin? forget it. The thickness it cuts I can easily do by hand.
I am now looking for something I can replace it with, without my daughter noticing I have got rid of it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 20 April 2009
I do not very often feel the need to leave a review about a product but I am so dissapointed with this product that I had too. There are no fancy interesting shapes to be made in fact all I got was nothing more than pulp or mush. I tried with various fruit and veg but to no avale. the implement for attaching your fruit or veg to is holey indequate and pratically usless. By far the worst money I have spent in a very long time

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy !!, 26 Sep 2009
S. dixon "Soph12" (France) - See all my reviews
Just bought this item and realized that I have simply wasted my money !It just doesn't slice well at all (you will be better off using a knife !)and certainly cannot be used for grating cheese !!

4.0 out of 5 stars it's ok...., 11 Aug 2010
This Mandolin works well for me. My only complaint is that it cannot slice the entire vegetable due to the size of the 'pod' your veg attaches to (so you can slice). my potatoes and onions were only half sliced because of this. Saying that, this product is only 5, and slices the first half very well No bending blades, no other problems, it does all kinds of slices which is great, but just doesnt slice enough of the veg for me! If you dont mind getting a knife out for the last half/ third, its ok.

1.0 out of 5 stars broke first time I used it, 17 May 2009
Used it on a carrot to julienne, and the blades bent within the first 10 minutes

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Blade, 13 Dec 2011
Personally, I advise anyone to avoid this product if they value their fingertips. The fixed blade is razor sharp, as you'd expect, but fully exposed. Dangerous if the "food holder" fails to secure the food item as it did with me when attempting (and failing) to grate some cheese. I resorted to my old box grater; highly effective and safe. When I cleaned the mandolin base, the fixed blade cut deep gouges into my washing-up sponge and sliced bristles off the washing-up brush as well.

I was so nervous of trying to use the thing again that I wrapped it well and consigned it to the dustbin - I didn't dare send it to a charity shop as I think it could seriously hurt someone.

In my opinion, because of the exposed fixed blade, this item is too dangerous to be on the market and should be removed. I think it's a health hazard.

Avoid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great vegie tool, 20 Jan 2010
Sa Atarah (Pailsley, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
Product came in good packing form. Was quick in coming. I recommend the service and product.

1.0 out of 5 stars This product is dangerous, avoid it, 19 Mar 2014
Alex MacPhee "Alex" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I wanted a mandolin slicer for thinly cutting potatoes and vegetables. This one works by using interchangeable platforms, as can be seen from the picture, inserting different ones for slicing, chipping and so on. The platforms are not securely held in place, and pop out almost every time something is pushed across the cutting blade, leaving the blade completely exposed to your moving hand. It did this suddenly while I was slicing for julienne potatoes. I now have a deep slice in my forefinger, which bled profusely, even though I used the vegetable holder. The design is seriously flawed, and this product should be removed from the market for safety reasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars It chops and it slices just like it said it would, 14 Feb 2010
I initially bought this item because I make loads of onion chutney and I was fed up spending hours slicing the veg myself. The item has chopped and sliced mountains of onions and it has worked fine. It is a cheap item so I don't really think you can expect it to be all singing and all dancing. It does what it says.

I have mainly used it to chop and slice hard veg like potatoes for gratin and carrots etc and I have had no problems with bending blades or uneven veg. If you want a fancy mandolin that you can alter the widths etc then splash the cash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grate Idea !, 12 Sep 2008
beau nydle "labrat" (chertsey, surrey, uk) - See all my reviews
A brilliant piece of kit. I've played with it for hours, marvelling at all the different shapes that it produces in fruit and veg. I'd never seen half of them. It's introduced great fun into my kitchen. Salads a foot high, looking like a 60's haircut. Magic. The kids love it. They actually eat the different shapes without you having to plead with them for hours. But do heed the warning in the instructions. MIND YOUR FINGERS. Use the hat shaped bit with the prongs to hold the carrot, or whatever. It might look like you don't need it, but the ultra sharp blade doesn't take prisoners, and they're shutting down A&E departments everywhere.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›