on 19 January 2009
This is my second ricer.
The first one was tin plated, larger and more expensive,
and it was difficult to clean, as it had deep narrow
crevices where the metal fixed together, then within a
matter of weeks it rusted. It was the same type as this Kitchen Craft Tinned Heavy Duty Potato Ricer

After binning it, I decided to go with this stainless
steel model, and I'm glad I did.
It is better built than the photo looks. It works superbly,
and Of course, no rust with it being stainless steel.
It is also very easy to clean.
I am totally happy with my purchase, and highly recommend it.
22 comments|189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 February 2011
This is quite a cumbersome one piece outfit but does a grand job if small quantities are required - absolutely NO lumps!

I tend to use it when cooking a rosti, or for the topping for a mini cottage pie, when just a small amount of potato mash is required. This sturdy ricer manages a couple of sufficiently boiled potato halves very well, passing out beautifully riced potato through the multiple fine holes in the bottom of the 'bucket' by pressing down the arm with the attached 'plunger'.
Any more potato in the bucket and there is a tendency for some 'un-riced' potato to return around the edges of the plunger, and, it is not that easy a task to collect it quickly, and cleanly, for another go!
Another slight negative is that when empty the unit is top heavy on the arm with plunger side and it can be a performance to balance the task of shifting hot potato from a pan into the ricer with only one pair of hands!

The KitchenCraft MasterClass Professional Potato Ricer washes up well, in hot soapy water and has the added bonus of being dishwasher safe. Although, again, the size and design does need some manipulating to get into the dishwasher when a full load is on and it takes up a fair bit of drawer/cupboard space, too.

Approximate measurements, based on my own:-

10.5 cm at highest point, 27 cm at longest (closed).

* Bucket:-
Diameter 7.75 cm (base) 9 cm (top)
Depth : 7 cm

* Plunger:-
Diameter: 7.5 cm

Can also be used as a fruit press.

I have had mine for ten months now and have had no problems regarding reliability, but, if a large amount of mash is required in a hurry, I do tend to dig out my good old faithful, and chance the odd lump!

From the accompanying card:-

* Care & Use
Dishwasher safe.
Do not expose this product to a direct heat source or use it in a microwave.
Remove any peel from vegetables, fruit and boil if necessary.
Place in ricer and firmly press the handle down.

* Guarantee
This product is guaranteed against faulty workmanship or materials for a period of 12 months from the date purchase, providing the care & use instructions are followed.
A full copy of the guarantee is available on request.
In the unlikely event that a fault should occur - to claim under this guarantee return this item to the store from which you purchased it together with the purchase receipt.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 2 December 2011
Works well producing lovely fluffy mash BUT... this product is not a professional tool! I am now on my third as the collar snapped on the first 2 (just like many other reviewers have found). The first one broke within 2 months and the second after 11 months and I maybe use it once a fortnight so hardly heavy professional use. The only plus is that both times I have got a replacement free of charge from the company that sold it to me - Cooking Marvelous, who have very good customer service.
on 5 July 2007
I got this after seeing Gordon Ramsay use one in the F Word, when he made his cottage pie. Anyway, its great, makes light work of mashing potatoes, and lots of fun for the kids to do, and as a result will eat their tatties! Also good for mashing carrots, swede and even citrus fruit and berries to get the juice. Durable high quality stainless steel kitchen tool. Worth every penny.
0Comment|129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2009
Excellent product. It does exactly what it is supposed to. Also good for squeezing fluid out of grated potatoes for potato rosti or hash browns.
on 28 April 2008
works well, giving light soft mash with no lumps. Came with 3 inserts but no instructions, so pot luck to use the right insert for the right food...still, gave me a lovely smooth mash. You need to have reasonably strong hands to use it, and the first time i tried I got quite a lot of mash all over myself and the worksurface, but on the whole, perfectly decent.
on 21 January 2010
I bought this product and was very impressed at first. The mash was so fluffy and soft and we loved it. Unfortunately, after using it about 10 times, the ring split and the whole ricer is now useless. This is really poor quality!
on 3 January 2009
Thanks to this little kitchen gadget i now make the best mash potatoes in West Yorkshire. No messier than a normal masher if your careful and you simply wash it through when you have finished. Only complaint comes from my hubbie who is now really really fed up of mash potato!!! cottage pie, chicken and mash, sausage and mash, garlic mash, cheesy mash... you get my drift.
on 24 August 2007
Good quality robust product. I bought it for potatoes and it does the job perfectly. However, it had 3 different blades and no instructions, so I can only guess what each is for. It would have helped if the item was boxed (arrived in plastic bag) with clear instructions for use. Apart from this, it is a useful piece of kit.
on 12 November 2011
I've always used a traditional masher and produced an average mash.....until now. I now know why most professional kitchens use ricers. It takes seconds once the potatoes are cooked to produce a soft, lump free, velvety mash. This ricer is substantial and well made and am delighted with the results. I recommend getting one, you won't be disappointed.