4.0 out of 5 stars Good product - and cheap too
Published on 10 Feb. 2010 by C. Porter

3.0 out of 5 stars Microwave rice cooker
Our last microwave rice steamer comprised an inner sieve and and outer container with a lid which dropped into place.
We normally rinsed the rice in the seive and then placed it into the container and cooked the rice, which always turned out fine.
That old rice steamer was beginning to deteriorate...we had had it for many years.
Having read the reviews we...
Published on 25 Jun. 2011 by R. G. Cooper

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product - and cheap too, 10 Feb. 2010
C. Porter "Roxethboy" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kitchen Craft Microwave 1.5 Litres Rice Cooker (Kitchen & Home)
Have been using this rice cooker for a month now, with mixed results (none of them too bad). That's because I find you need a little bit of experimentation with the quantities of rice and water and the cooking time to get the best results. I would suggest a new purchaser keeps brief notes of these things until you know how to get the best results every time. If you get it right it can certainly deliver the goods and it is very easy to use. The quality seems good for the price. If you are looking for a rice cooker it is certainly worth trying this one rather than splashing out £35 or more for an electric model. Even if you don't get on with it you will not have lost much at this price.
If you have a small microwave check it will fit for height; it stands 16cm tall with the lid on. I have to take the grill out of the turntable to fit it in my medium-sized microwave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen Craft Microwave Rice Cooker, 23 Oct. 2012
I agree with the other 5* reviewers - this rice cooker is simple to use and produces excellent rice with very little trouble.
There are many recipes in the reviews for cooking rice. But you can never have too many! Here's a hassle-free one for perfect, non-sticky rice:
1. This is for white basmati in a 900-watt microwave.
2. Put 1 cup of rice and 1 1/2 cups cold water in the rice cooker. Do not wash the rice and do not add salt.
3. Put the lids on and cook on HIGH for about 7 minutes until just cooked (under-cook slightly rather than overcook).
4. Put the rice in a strainer and swish cold water over it. This stops the cooking process and ensures separate grains.
5. Drain the rice well, add salt as required, and return it to the rice cooker. When you are almost ready to serve, heat the rice on HIGH for 2 minutes without the lids on.

This recipe is adapted from You Can Cook Indian Takeaway

Update for brown basmati:
In step 2, use 1 cup of rice to 3 cups of water.
In step 3, cook for about 16 minutes.
Everything else is the same.

March 2014
Still using this with no problems & it's still in perfect condition.
I've used it for boiled potatoes & other veg but sprouts don't work. I wonder why?
You really don't need to measure the water accurately, even for rice - a little more or less doesn't make any difference provided it doesn't boil dry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply excellent, 19 Jan. 2010
James Bury (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a different model - one with an inner 'sieve' container to hold the rice. I was trying to find an exact replacement as I thought that was the best type, but couldn't so I settled for this. I'm glad I did as I am totally delighted with it - it produces great rice, better than my previous version, and it is solidly made and should last years.

Looking at it, you could be forgiven for thinking it is little more than a microwaveable bowl, so why buy it? Well, it has an inner lid which seems to do something clever with condensing the steam, keeping the right amount of water in the pot to cook perfectly. I'm not too sure of the exact science, but it certainly works a lot better than a simple bowl and it is also far better made than regular microwave pots.

It doesn't have much in the way of instructions, but if you start on 1 volume of rice + 2 of water, you won't go far wrong. You can reduce the water somewhat if you are cooking more than a single measure of rice, but you don't need to be too precise as it seems very tolerant of having a bit too much or little. We've never yet had a duff batch of rice from it. Although it doesn't claim to be a vegetable steamer, it does an excellent job of doing that too. I just follow the times given in my microwave instructions (or via Google) and get good results.

I love it - it's fast, solidly built, easy to clean, and produces really good rice. At this price, it's a bargain, and I would certainly by another if anything happened to my current one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Rice Cooker, 1 Dec. 2008
Caroline Thomson "Caroline" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
I have used this rice cooker for over 10 years and now am going to freshen up and buy a new one. it is very easy to use, add x amount of rice to y amount of water and cook in microwave for z amount of time. You cannot go wrong when you have found the right power setting on your microwave. I even use it to make risotto, adding the peppers and onions etc half-way through. This is just so simple I am amazed that there is not one in every bodies kitchen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Instructions!, 10 Mar. 2011
This is the third of this type I have purchased. Like an idiot I assumed there would be adequate instructions included as last time and the time before. Nope, just a couple of vague sentences on the box. Nothing on the web either. However, following an email to Kitchencraft they kindly sent the following. Here it is :

MICROWAVE RICE COOKER INSTRUCTIONS
This product is not only microwave safe but also fridge/freezer safe and dishwasher safe.
Preparation:
RICEWATER
3 Cups4 ¼ Cups
2 Cups3 Cups
1 Cup1 ½ Cups
COOKING TIME (Full Power)
15-18 mins
13-15 mins
9-11 mins
Preparation ratios may be varied according to taste. Always stop cooking half way through and stir.
Using guide:
Place all ingredients into the rice cooker.
Place the required amount of water into the rice cooker depending on how much rice is being
cooked.
Place the lid on top of the container and make sure the locking clips at each side are fastened.
Cook for the required time.
Microwave at "High" power setting. Allow cooked rice to "stand" for two minutes before serving.

I hope this will be helpful and perhaps Kitchencraft will at least print 'em on the box at some point. The product itself is cheap and cheerful and now rather expensive for what it is, the plastic will flake and peel inside with time and it is essential you use the plastic spoon provided to delay this. But I keep buying these simply because they are foolproof ( and I CAN cook rice the conventional way) and will make the best of even poor quality rice.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, easy rice!, 16 Oct. 2010
Paul Hill (UK) - See all my reviews
A friend recommended a similar product to this rice cooker but on reading reviews, this model sounded superior. I have often struggled to make perfect rice and for years have been 'cheating' by using Uncle Ben's. This rice cooker is great! Put in a cup of rice with a cup and a half of water, put it in the microwave for 10 minutes (12 minutes for large portions) and you have perfect rice with no need to wash before or after cooking. The rice cooker can also go in the dishwasher.

It cooks a large amount of rice if required (check your microwave measurements) or a small amount for a quick snack. Don't cook brown rice in it as it takes forever and isn't really suitable.

Overall, a great kitchen product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rice in a trice - well about 11 minutes, 18 Sept. 2007
I have used microwave rice cookers for sometime now and they are absolutely fabulous!
This little rice cooker comes with a measure and a spoon all very sweet I would be lost and certainly need a map without my rice cookers.
I have had three now and they usually last well over 3 years or more depending on how you treat them. If like me you drop them on the floor (two in the space of six months!) of the kitchen and break them (Usually the handles!)you will obviously have to buy more but they do have a long shelf life and do not discolour like a lot of plastic microwave products.
They will cook all sorts of rice ie long grain jasmine basmati wild and pretty angry rice oops non on that name as of yet! ( as a little girl we got long and short rice now there are so many varieties!)

Forget not knowing if your rice is water logged bone dry or stuck like it would hold wallpaper up this is the item for you!
Although a small item it will cook enough rice to feed approx 6 people 4 very hungry ones or 2 who like to eat a horse cart and a bale of hay!Rice is cooked by the volume principle ie 1 measure of rice 2 and a half measures of water - however the more rice you cook the less water you need. Also a little tip if you do buy this rice cooker which is a complete whiz if cooking loads of rice put a small dish underneath the cooker just in case the water over flows saves you clearing up a puddle but this only happens if you are cooking absolutely loads of rice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Microwave Rice Cooker ever!, 22 April 2010
Despite my first order being delivered with a broken handle and having to be replaced, once I got it home and tried out the replacementout I was hooked. Having used a plastic microwave ricecooker for some years and getting used to its ease and dependability, when mine went missing during a move I was heartbroken. I then tried another model I bought on Amazon, but it didn't work as well as the lost one. Then I saw this one with slightly larger capacity and thought I would give it one last try. This is an amazing item, comes with cup measure and stirrer, and one cup of rice and two cups of water will produce perfect rice in 10 minutes! (Yes, I didn't believe it either...). One and a half is 15 minutes, two is 20 minutes. All on full power in an 850 power microwave. No mess, no washing beforehand (you can if you want to), and each grain is loose and fluffy. Works a bit like a plastic pressure cooker just for rice. Buy one immediately, it is THAT good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen Craft Microwave Rice Cooker - huge success, 18 Feb. 2010
Although I have to take the trivet out of my microwave to use the rice cooker because of the raised handle on it,(make sure you have 7"/17cm clearance above your turntable),this rice cooker is a huge success and so easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for rice lovers, 18 Dec. 2009
Kari B (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
I was given a 'Riceboy' many years ago and used it at least once a week. Because i use it so much i was worried it would one day break and so i brought this one as a spare. I have had perfect rice everytime and cook everything from rice and pasta to vegetables in it. This is so easy to use and i would recommend it to anyone.

Kitchen Craft Microwave 1.5 Litres Rice Cooker