5.0 out of 5 stars Totally kickass!
This album has got to be one of the best albums i have ever bought. With catchy lyrics and awesome violin parts it totally rules over other cd's. The best songs have to Ocean avenue, way away and breathing. I definetly reccomend this album to anybody considering purchasing it. You will love it.
Published on 1 Jun 2004 by Michael Weingart

3.0 out of 5 stars the sound of a youth
written in a time in the 2000's when emo was at it's highest point, ocean avenue delivered exactly what you were looking for. angst, nirvana like grunge, sing along choruses , and the lyrics you thought expressed life as it were for you. but ocean avenue was a more adult song for a more sophisticated fan. it's a lot more thrash than you give it credit for, and along with...
Published on 20 Jan 2010 by Darren Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally kickass!, 1 Jun 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Yellowcard- Punk At It's Very Best., 26 Dec 2004
James Newcome (Grimsby, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ocean Avenue (Audio CD)
This album is in a word, awesome. From the spectacular new single 'Only One' to the recent past American hit of 'Ocean Avenue' the album together with the band themselves, suceed in delivering a well balanced and perfectly accomplished CD of punk rock perfection.
Unfortunately, Yellowcard have not established themselves in the UK as they have done so in America (this is very similar to other bands such as Sugarcult or Finch). However, things could soon change as a well-known band such as Green Day stuck around and eventually found their fame in the UK as well as in the US. So hopefully, it will be Yellowcard you will here in any gossip of the latest punk records or even the next chart topper (I hope!) That said Yellowcard does have a growing fan base in the UK and if you had the chance to see their stunning single 'Only One' on Pepsi Smash Hits or hear their latest single 'Gifts and Curses' from the Spiderman 2 movie, you will understand how this is one of the best emerging bands at this time.
Back to the album itself, the main highlights include 'Way Away', 'Breathing', 'Ocean Avenue', 'Only One', 'View From Heaven' and 'Back Home.' Every song has something different to say whether it is the touching romanticism of 'Only One' or the teenage reminiscent single 'Ocean Avenue.' Ryan Key's skill as lead vocalist, Ben Harper's enthralling enthusiasm of his guitar skills and Sean Mackin's superb violin touch combines effectively to produce a new age of punk like you've never heard before. I was however, slightly disappointed at the absence of 'Gifts and Curses' from the album as this is a truly breathtaking song in itself. Nonetheless, this did not persuade me otherwise that the album is anything but perfection worthy of standing alongside legends like Green Day or Blink 182 and is similar to other greats like 'Dashboard Confessional' and 'Simple Plan.' Buy this stunning album today and discover true punk.

5.0 out of 5 stars YC are the best for teenage angst cures/dreams, 29 Mar 2005
E. Foster - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ocean Avenue (Audio CD)
I first ever heard of Yc i year ago over in america when Ocean Avenue was on the TRL playlist, the only thing however i could really say about it was that the video was interesting; which got me into it. Staying there for a week the song like many others became pushed into my brain.
Then once back i had realised that a playlist cd i had received from HMV contained a YC song-Breathing, this i thought was special, so brought the album. It did not leave my CD player for several weeks. Not just the catchy lyrics n hooks. The album soon strings out the meaning of teenage years.
If you like this genre of music, thne this album is a must have. Every song is listenable, and stands out from the rest. Not jsut because of the violinist just how even though Ryan isnt the greatest singer ever, his delivery is heart wrenching in places. The best song on the album is Back Home, just because it reminds me of when i came back home from travelling and how los angeles is so hyped up like so many other things in this world. And to the person who thinks that GOOD Charlotte are more emotional, and better; listen to Brand New, UnderOath, thats emotion mate. And sugarcult's being more fun; well if thats true then well, lets jsut say Head Automatica is needed for you to experiance fun.
This album i recommend to anyone my age, into this music, just put on n play!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 11 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Ocean Avenue (Audio CD)
To be honest, I'd never heard of this band before february 2006, but after a friend of mine at school lent me the CD, telling me that I should listen to this song on pain of missing out on a great band, I was converted.
Yellowcard are semi rock-punk (to my ears) and they are given that little edge, thanks to the violin, that sets them apart from other bands.
The first two or three tracks put me off somehow, they weren't up to the usual caliber of the bands I usually listen to, but after 'Ocean Avenue' the CD really started to kick in, and I was much less apprehensive.
'View From Heaven' and 'One year, six months' are softer, more melodic songs that instantly (excuse the cliché) brighten up your day, bringing a smile to your face and making you want to sing along to the well written lyrics.
'Only one' is full of emotion, boardering more on the rock-ier side of the albumn, along with 'life of a salesman' whilst 'twenty-three' and 'miles apart' are more punk-like but still definitely worth a listen.
To sum up: get this albumn - its worth a listen! Almost every song will have you singing along and/or headbanging to your heart's content.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 18 July 2004
This review is from: Ocean Avenue (Audio CD)
This album is brilliant, punk music with a violinist. It's definitely something different, with lyrics telling stories such as Life Of A Salesman, 'What's a dad for dad?'. This CD is all killer no filler, I particularly love the catchy but moving songs, Only One and View From Heaven. The song One Year Six Months seems to be a relationship-ending song. I would have to recommend this to anyone who likes emo/punk bands, such as Jimmy Eat World, Something Corporate and Get Up Kids. You'll be listening to this one on repeat, I promise you. It's original, yet strangely addictive, and great quality listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Punk Rock at its best!, 5 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Ocean Avenue (Audio CD)
I've only recently got into rock music (or punk rock more specifically) after having listened to a few Dashboard Confessional albums, but after having listened to the Yellowcard guitar/violin combo, I was just totally hooked. I've had this album on loop on my portable player for a whole week and every listen just makes it all the better. It really is one of those rare types of albums where each track is just as good as the other. I'm no expert when it comes to the rock genre as I usually listen to electronica, club music style stuff, but what I do know is that Yellowcard have some serious talent that really raises this album a step above the rest. The instrumentals, vocals and of course the violin all seem to hit a perfect balance that just sounds so good and mysteriously unique. My personal favourites are 'Empty Apartment', 'One Year, Six Months' and 'Back Home'.
The thing I really like about Yellowcard is that they don't have that teenage angst thing that you see with many other punk rock bands, but instead adopt a good balance thats not too harsh or soft but still very alive, with every track being hugely uplifting and emotional. Overall, Ocean Avenue is a definite must!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most amazingest album ever!, 16 Oct 2004
Hannah (Lancaster, Enlgand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ocean Avenue (Audio CD)
I love this album so much, it lives in my stereo, i make all my friends listen to it. Some of the songs are written with such meaning and feeling that they have a tendancy to make me cry, rock on yellowcard and everyone who buys this album, i highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars a must have., 29 April 2004
This review is from: Ocean Avenue (Audio CD)
Ocean Avenue is one of those albums that you just cant get bored of.
Opening track Way Away is a classic hard rocking punk song backed-up withthe amazing lyrics of the writer Ryan key.
and after this song it just gets better.
with a few slower songs aswell such as Empty Apartment and View fromheaven both of these are sweet little numbers that hold alot ofsentimental value.
This is there 2nd full length album with Key in the band ( 1st being Onefor the kids which is another amazing album) and the talent of the theseyoung guys is amazing.
Theres not one song i can fault on thisalbum.
conclusion - a must buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great pop-punk album, 25 Aug 2008
This review is from: Ocean Avenue (Audio CD)
I have to thank Ben Roberts for getting me into this band and recommending this album.
When I bought my first albums from Yellowcard, I decided to buy both of them at the same time and I'm glad I did. Paper walls is an incredible album and my 2nd favourite album ever, behind Angels and airwaves 'We don't need to whisper'. Lights and sounds took a bit of getting use to, but now I love it. It seems that with every album Yellowcard keep getting better and better.

I think the sound of this album is nicer than Lights and sounds, but musically and instrumentally Lights and sounds is much better. The drumming for example has quite a lot of rolls and is similar to punk drumming on this album, whereas on the next 2 it is much tidier. LP has to be one of the best drummers out there and I take my hat off to him with the drumming on this album. The beats are fast and it is constant, so he must have pretty tough wrists! The guitar work is also not as great on this album, whereas on Paper walls it is incredible. There was another guitarist brought on for that album and Ben Harper was replaced. The funny thing is that there's no bass player in the band, and the one that was brought in for the next album was behind the scenes. One thing that I want to say, which nobody else probably has is about the CD centre of the album, with a letter to Ryan saying that he was caught drinking alcohol underage and that he has to meet with the school governor! I think this was supposed to represent the whole teenage life aura.

I love the sound of Ocean avenue. Everything about it is fantastic and it is a standout track both musically and lyrically. It is my 2nd favourite released Yellowcard song, behind Light up the sky, which says a lot for an album that is half as good as Paper walls. This album has quite a hopeful and pop sound. It is a good album for the summer, reliving past times and dreaming. First of all, as a pop-punk album it is amazing. The violin is such a unique and tasteful touch and that's one thing I love about Yellowcard. The songs are serious and Ryan is a great songwriter. His song writing is fairly mature and Ocean avenue is the standout track and is certainly the best.

The opening track Way away, comes in with a darker sound to the rest of the album. It is about moving away, which was influenced by the band's move from Florida to California. It's about escaping and I love that concept. It's quite heavy in the intro and Ryan comes in emotional, saying `I think I'm breaking out, I'm gonna leave you now, there's nothing for me here...'. It reminds me of Lights and sounds, and it comes in with electronic noises, which is a nice touch. The heavy violin and guitars go real nice together. Empty apartment has a softer sound to it and throws away that pop-punk sound. Life of a salesman was played to me in my business class, by the boy I was giving a shout out to. It's obviously a take on the novel Death of a salesman. It's amazing that this song was what got me into this band! It also doesn't represent the true sound of this band. It is a fast song, and a good one though, nevertheless. The violin sounds crazy next to the constant fast drumming. Ryan's singing is also fast, and the chorus is constant thumping. I am very grateful that this song was played to me because I would never have gotten into this incredible band if it wasn't.
Only one is a song that nearly every Yellowcard fan shouts about. It's supposed to be romantic, but it's so aggressive. The lyrics `Scream my lungs out and try to get to you' really don't express affectionate feelings! Miles apart is one of my other favourite songs on here. It's about being miles away from the one you love but still holding them close to your heart. There's a bit of remorse in it, but it's an upbeat and uplifting song. Twenty three is another uplifting song about a wasted relationship. I think it's the violinist who sings in the verses about his friend, who has a pretty good voice and is a nice touch. Ryan still sings in the chorus. View from heaven sounds like a country song! The violin also sounds like it's a proper violin and not an electric one. There' s a female singer harmonising with Ryan in the chorus which is also a nice touch. It's about your own little heaven, and making it through believing in it.
Believe is the other favourite song on this album. The violin is fantastic and the song is based around that fast rhythm. It is based on the 9/11 attacks and has a speech about it in between the songs. I like 'Everything's gonna be alright, be strong believe.'. It's also good as a confidence booster in your own life. A great song. I like One year, six months about thinking about your loved one, and dreaming of a beautiful place you can share together. It's a smooth song with acoustic guitars. The violin is very discreet, unlike on the other songs. Back home is a song about being in California and wishing he was in Florida, dreaming of the past and his fame. It depicts the shallowness and reality of LA; 'What you love is ripped away, before you get a chance to feel it'. It is the lead up to the next album which was all about Ryan's life in LA and the dark feelings.

A great album and I would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing music, beautiful lyrics, 29 Dec 2004
This review is from: Ocean Avenue (Audio CD)
This album is a light in the angry lyrics expressed in most punk rock and metal. The violin is a great touch to the band adding that something extra. Highlight songs are 'Believe' which is just so uplifting; i literally wanna cry (beautiful song) and 'Way Away' as well as 'Breathing'. There is not a bad song on this album. More albums like this please Punk Rock bands, I am so tired of angst. This album will actually make you feel good. It is heart touching and an absolutely stunning piece of work. I recommend you buy this and lighten up your life. It will!

Ocean Avenue
Ocean Avenue by Yellowcard (Audio CD - 2004)