on 31 March 2005
I only took a liking to this film when I watched it with the director's commentary. It's an incredibly sweet story about a black girl from an upper middle classed background and a white girl from a working class background. The story isn't so complex, but then that's not what this film is about. It's incredibly sunny and optimistic, which at first seems unrealistic. For example, the ending is more like a comedy sketch, and a teenager dating a thirty-something broad seems really unlikely. But it's about coming out, finding your first love - and I think that is very well portrayed. Randy and Evie are remarkably cute, and I wonder why I haven't seen them elsewhere.
This is clearly a budget film - if you watch closely, you'll see there are about ten other people who wander around the school, but other than that the set is deserted. The acting is at times cheesy, but the only real culprit is the boyfriend of the Broad, who reminded me of Johnny Bravo without the bleach.
on 3 October 2007
It is was a pleasant surprise finding out while watching the film that one of the main actresses is Laurel Holloman 10 years nearly before her appearance as Tina, a lesbian in L-Word.
Besides that, the story is about adolescent love where just to make things "easier" this so viscerally felt love is also a lesbian love.
The couple couldn't be more different. Different background, different upbringing, different way of looking at life, living life...different everything....and yet as one may say opposites attract.
The story is truly adventurous. If it had happened to me I do not know if I would have survived especially at that age, that is 17 going 18. At least this time is a happy ending, at least till where the film finishes...
Moments of pure ironic, humouristic, surreal confusion where the world seems to fall apart with no hope of putting it straight again (pun intended!). Just as it really happens when one is adolescent....and in love.
Fun to watch.
on 3 February 2016
A delightful coming of age romance. Highly recommended
on 2 September 2014