1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars morricone: he's pretty good, really., 10 July 2004
Mr. B. A. D. Plowman "Brendan" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Psichedelico Jazzistico (Audio CD)
My eyes lit up in March of this year when I discovered this CD was to be reissued."Tracks from Morricone's late 60's/early 70's psychedelic experimental period" said the review I was perusing."An essential purchase" it continued."Mmm-hmm" thought I.
It has to be said I am rather fond of Morricone.I find much of his music to be absolutely captivating, capable of simultaneously putting a smile on my face then reducing me to tears.I also find the effect of his music does not wear thin after repeated listens. I have been listening to "Once Upon a Time in America" for five years and it still sends shivers down my spine. Even The Beatles are not capable of this.
Goosebumps on the arms;tears in the eyes;alleviation of depression;a sense of inner tranquility - these are the effects of Morricone's sublime melancholy music. The man is quite simply a genius. Every music lover should own at least one Morricone album, no matter what music they are into. I believe he can appeal to all tastes, his music is so powerful.
And so we come to "Psichedelico Jazzistico", an album which lifts tunes from four Italian films he soundtracked in the 1970's.Is it any good? - Hmmm, have a guess.Is it psychedelic and experimental? - well, yes and no. It has some bizarre quirky, jazzy moments but mostly it's vintage Morricone with, I believe, some of the most beautiful music he has ever produced.
All the trademarks are here- wordless female vocals, sweeping strings, acoustic guitars, clarinets, trumpets, elegiac chord changes and changes in mood. The predominant mood, of course, is melancholy.
The standout tune on the CD,for me,is "L'Assoluto Naturale".It starts with a simple melody on organ and guitar, then becomes hugely emotional when a swell of strings enters the fray half way through. It's utterly stunning, and the majority of the tunes on here also live up to this high standard.Needless to say, I am delighted with this CD.
At a bargain price on Amazon, it seems logical that anyone reading this should promptly purchase this disc. It is compulsive listening for Morricone devotees and newcomers to his magical sounds. I guarantee this CD will not disappoint.
Earlier in this review I stated that every music lover should own at least one Morricone album.Of course, in my opinion every music lover should own an abundance of Morricone albums. However, if you were to own one album and one album only, you could do far worse than to make it "Psichedelico Jazzistico".

Psichedelico Jazzistico
Psichedelico Jazzistico by Ennio Morricone (Audio CD - 2004)