5.0 out of 5 stars Why this is the best Swiss Army knife, 12 May 2009
Gord (Bournville, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Victorinox Explorer Swiss Army Knife (Red) 1670300 VICEXPL (Sports)
This is the one to get!
Some knives are just too small but any more "blades" than on this one and it would be too cumbersome or you may as well get one of those Leatherman jobbies which simply aren't practical to carry everywhere. This one is still pocket sized and mine has had loads of use - the big knife blade is ideal for food purposes (cutting fruit and the like at work), the small knife blade is the best for general cutting- the smaller blade giving a bit more control and power (think of a Stanley knife - big handle/small blade)
Another good reason for getting this knife is that it has both flat and Philips screwdrivers - in fact it was the Philips screwdriver that sold it to me! it's had so many uses over the years. Also, you'd be suprised at how often the magnifying glass has come in handy for removing splinters.
The other blades will have their uses, even if you dont indulge in a lot of reaming or punch eye hooking!

Okay, mine is 12 years old now and I didnt buy it from Amazon but I feel it's an item worthy of a very high recommendation. If I ever lose it, I'd get another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection at present, 31 Aug 2009
One day Victorinox will allow you to custom order your own knife, but until that time arrives, the Explorer will suffice. I'd owned a Champ for over 20 years, but in an attempt to reduce the weight of junk I carry around with me, I wanted a smaller model. Beyond the basic tools, I wanted it to have the scissors, a Phillips head screwdriver and a magnifying glass (until you carry one around, you don't appreciate how often it gets used). The Explorer is the only model that fitted the bill.

It is a splendid everyday carry item, and Victorinox build quality is unrivalled. Give it a bit of an oil and a clean each year, run a sharpening stone over the blades if you feel them a bit dull and you'll be passing this to the next generation - unless like me you'll be taking it to the grave, because you never know when it'll be needed....

Oh, and if I were to custom order a knife, what would I change? I'd replace the hook thing with the small chisel and then perfection would be attained.

Buy one today, at this price you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Victorinox 1670300 Army Knife Explorer Red, 2 Feb 2009
K. Papanikolaou (UK,GR) - See all my reviews
A great tool. Personally I find it very useful. Unfortunately I was not able to find a spare for my scissors on Amazon and I would like to see spares here. However it is a great choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect balance, 29 Aug 2010
I have had the Swiss Champ for decades but to be honest it is too big and heavy to put in your trouser pocket or hang on a belt. This little beauty has all of the tools I use the most but is smaller (narrower)and lighter and as such won't start pulling your trousers down as a result. I now believe this to be the best knife not only in the Swiss Army range but of any comparable manufacturer.
Take it on a picnic and the small and large knives are perfect for peeling and slicing and you can open a bottle of plonk or a bottle of beer thanks to the corkscrew and cap lifter. For on the spot maintenance jobs there is a large and a small flat-head screwdriver together with a cross-head one too - these will cover most situations and I've used them for situations above what they were probably designed for and they are still perfect. I can't tell you how many times those scissors have come in handy, and the reamer is always being used as a bradle. Admittedly I don't recall using the hook though. In the recess for the corkscrew you will find a tiny hole for adding a pin - together with the supplied tweezers and magnifying glass you'll be able to remove all splinters. Don't forget to buy the tiny screwdriver that inserts into the corkscrew (about 3.00) and then together with the magnifying glass you can make on the spot repairs to your glasses. Really what more do you need?
My Swiss champ has proved far more durable than my Leatherman so I expect the Explorer to fair the same, indeed I found a Swiss army knife on a beach once, it was smashed and completely jammed with stones and grit - I freed it up and the blades were still sharp and not a hint of rust was evident, if only other makes were as durable! Buy one and you will be using it more than you would have imagined - this is one purchase you won't regret.

5.0 out of 5 stars Victorinox Swiss army Knife 1670300, 21 Mar 2014
F. B. Draisey - See all my reviews
Delighted with this knife. Has all the necessary items to meet my needs. Have used a few applications and all operate well.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% Impressed with Victorinox Explorer, 14 July 2011
This is my first Swiss army knife and i'm very pleased indeed with my purchase. Having done a bit of research on the tools available I chose this one because it's full sized but still compact and due to the magnifying glass. As an expedition medic I suspect I will find this particularly invaluable for splinters and examining injuries in the field. The knife blades and scissors are excellent, so sharp and strong and I've already used the screw drivers, bottle opener and cork screw many times. Couldn't ask for a better model and I must say I love the classic design. The whole knife has such a feeling of quality i'm amazed the price is so reasonable. Thoroughly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful tool, 12 July 2013
Used it a lot in Italy recently for essential tasks such as opening wine bottles and cutting cheese. Tried to light the BBQ using the magnifying glass and got some smoke but no fire. It really was a boon as the place we stayed in lacked both sharp knives and scissors. Just make sure you transport it in your baggage hold luggage or some Customs Officer may be writing the next review.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product., 12 July 2014
Quick delivery, great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
Mr R Stafford (cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Great knife use it loads

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality pocket tool, 5 July 2014
My second one of these still a high quality product , good size , useful tools and blades.