4.0 out of 5 stars Go to Youtube 1st.....
Published 7 months ago by N R JACKLIN

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair price.
Published on 5 Sept. 2009 by First Time User

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair price., 5 Sept. 2009
This review is from: BLACK+DECKER Workmate WM301 (DIY & Tools)
This workbench gives fair value for money but there could have been a bit more care taken in putting the product together; decent materials and design let down by poor assembly instructions. B&D, an assembly leaflet for your Workmate WM301 would be greatly appreciated. The cotter pins connecting the handles were also a problem for me. One went through OK, but I had to take a hammer to the other and bring the sides closer together so I could hammer it into the hole. Also, one part marked 'S' on the side of the box was stamped 'L' on the actual component. A bit confusing.
Easy and safe to use, and the design has some flexibility in operation. Having worked out how to assemble it once I would probably buy it again. BTW, before you start putting this thing together it's worth while matching the different parts with the diagrams on the side of the box. Saved some time and confusion for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Go to Youtube 1st....., 12 Nov. 2014
This review is from: BLACK+DECKER Workmate WM301 (DIY & Tools)
I decided on this bench after reading various reviews. Although comments around building it were not always positive, the reviews on its performance were good so I though I'd give it a bash. Anyway as per peoples suggestions I lined up the Youtube post ready, and as expected due to the poor diagrams I did need this help. After 2 mins looking at how to assemble the tops and threaded bolt, within minutes I was done. My advice watch the assembly instructions 1st and it should only take approx 20 mins to have it up and ready. Overall poor diagrams, but good youtube instructions. Address for instructions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTB1llv3iF0

4.0 out of 5 stars So Handy, 2 Feb. 2013
RJ Hiorns (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BLACK+DECKER Workmate WM301 (DIY & Tools)
A very useful product. Took an hour to assemble and works fine. The assembly instructions are in the form of rather unclear diagrams but once one side of the workbench has been assembled the other side is easily completed since it's just a mirror image of the first side. (If it's any help the item labelled 'V' on the instructions is not a part of the Workmate; it's a tool for tightening the recessed bolt-heads). All in all a good buy and should last for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and glad I bought it., 3 Jun. 2013
This review is from: BLACK+DECKER Workmate WM301 (DIY & Tools)
I read all the reviews on the B&D range of workmates and was put off buying one so bought another brand. However, I saw this on Amazon for the bargain price it was at and couldn't resist it. Delivered promptly by City Link. When I took it out of the box and saw all the component parts and picture instructions I immediately felt negative and considered sending it back. Actually, when I sat down with a cup of tea and laid all the bits out on the floor, it all started to come together in my mind. You start with assembling the sides and go from there, it's easy. It took me 45 minutes and I enjoyed it. I've now got a lovely little workmate for little jobs around the house. Don't be put off buy some of the reviewer's comments about the instructions. I found them easy to follow once you've identified all the parts, which are numbered to make it easy for you. The instructions are good enough in my opinion. Comes with a little black plastic round socket type spanner for doing the nuts up. I had to use a screwdriver to hold the screws while I did the nut up. Actually I used my swiss army knife which was in my overall pocket! handles have a pin which you line up and tap in, this wasn't a problem as the pin is hollow so you can see down the inside of it which helps line it up with the corresponding hole in the threaded bar. The working height is slightly low for me, I'm 5'8/9" but I can cope with that. Glad I bought it and now wonder if I should have also bought the bigger version. Recommended if got at at the right price. I paid £18 including delivery from Amazon. They retail at £32 -43 but I would not pay that for this model, I would go bigger and get the next one up in the B&D range at about 50 odd quid which has a better working height.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but solid & practical, 2 Aug. 2007
This review is from: BLACK+DECKER Workmate WM301 (DIY & Tools)
I have been using one of these at home for years, and for a basic workbench it is very solid and practical. I now need another for a different location, where I have got through 3 of the cheaper workbenches in the time I have had the Black & Decker at home. Don't bother with the cheap ones - they are made of trashy materials and do not have the structural integrity of the WM301. I also have a full sized workmate, but it is a bit heavy to carry about, so the WM301 gets used more due to its portability. For around £24 its well worth the money and will last you a lifetime unless you give it some serious abuse.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bargain Black & Decker Workmate on a budget., 13 Sept. 2012
This review is from: BLACK+DECKER Workmate WM301 (DIY & Tools)
After my old cheap workmate clone finally fell apart on me after 5 years, I was surprised to see a proper Black & Decker branded Workmate for less than 20 quid. And while it's not exactly the heavy duty beast a professional or serious DIY'er would use, it's solid, well made and a real bargain for the price.
Unlike cheap workmate clones which usually suffer the fault of the bench jaws levering up when tightened, the WM301 grips objects tightly and stays dead level. Another plus point is that the bench jaws on the WM301 are actually made of wood, not laminated MDF which over time becomes soft and looses grip, (the MDF bench jaws on my old workbench broke in half after getting wet one too many times).
The only negatives for the WM301 is that it's a self-assembly job and the included picture only assembly instructions aren't the clearest, that said I'm no expert and it only took me 15-20 minutes to put together. Also, when folding the bench up after use the top jaw section flips down flat and could be easy to catch your fingers if you're not careful.
Those faults aside, the WM301 is great value for money and and well deserves a 5 star rating. I bought mine from the marketplace seller Toolbank and was delivered within 48 hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Tool, 10 Sept. 2009
This review is from: BLACK+DECKER Workmate WM301 (DIY & Tools)
I have just received delivery of the Black & Decker WM301 Workmate and have to say that from taking the components from the box and completing the assembly it took me just under an hour. Regarding the cotter pins - the source of so many complaints - I think that Black & Decker must have taken note because the ones that were in my kit were compression pins, that is to say hollow pins cut down the length on one side so that it only required a gentle tap with a hammer to get them into position. Well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Nov. 2013
This review is from: BLACK+DECKER Workmate WM301 (DIY & Tools)
I can't believe the poor reviews for this thing. It costs just £20 for Pete's sake, and it's very sturdy once assembled. Take care of it and it should last a long time.

I will admit that the assembly instructions (illustrations) leave a lot to be desired, but it's not that difficult and there is a very helpful video on youtube for a WM125 which appears to be identical to the WM301. Yes the cotter pins to hold the vice adjustment handles are a tight fit - they are meant to be. They need to be driven into place with a hammer. I also can't credit reports of holes being drilled in the wrong place - these things are churned out by machines, there's no chance that a hole would be in the wrong place.

B&D have a great product here, poor reviews IMHO merely reflect on the competence (or otherwise) of the reviewer. Pebcac !.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says on the box!, 13 Sept. 2009
This review is from: BLACK+DECKER Workmate WM301 (DIY & Tools)
It is more than adequate, it does not cost the earth, therefore you cannot expect it to be all singing and dancing. The only problem as such was that the plastic clamp wedges do tend to rise up when you clamp things, could cause a problem, but as long as you are aware this could happen...... I did not have any problem with the construction of the workbench, I had read about problems with the fitting of the handles, I had no problem.

Again, all in all, for the price, more than adequate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this, its awful and its marked "discontinued" on B & D Website., 31 Dec. 2014
P. C. Cartledge (Shropshire, England United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BLACK+DECKER Workmate WM301 (DIY & Tools)
Beware, its marked "discontinued" on the B & D Website, last manufactured 10 years ago apparently but I still got one new.

It's cheap, nasty and flimsy. The instructions are (almost) indecipherable and there are no part numbers. Some are marked R (which turns out to be Right) and S, (which turns out to be Left). I'm no linguist but perhaps with French or Italian markets in mind.

One of the wing nuts on the slide at the side had no thread. Will replace it with a proper steel nut and just not bother to fold it flat. The web site is no help for spares.

Looks like they need to examine the quality control in their Chinese factory.

Puts me off anything Black & Decker for life.

BLACK+DECKER Workmate WM301