4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the Price
There is a sort of snobbery amongst us woodworkers when it comes to tools and no more so than planes. There are endless articles and help guides about what is really a very simple device - a blade held at an angle.

Published 14 months ago by M. G. Chisholm

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice finish, soft blade
Got my plane in its nice wooden box. Of course the blade was not sharp, so I had to sharpen it. The angles were OK and the blade is easy to place in the honing guide making it a matter of minutes, including the finish with an Arkansas oil stone.
Afterwards it could take wonderfully thin shavings from mahogany, teak, and spruce, but alas - the spruce had a knot and it...
Published 18 months ago by Poul Borge Pedersen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the Price, 3 July 2013
M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Faithfull 6012 Block Plane In Wooden Box (DIY & Tools)

That's not to say that all are equal. Some of the uber cheap formed steel ones from a pound shop are not worth even picking up to look at, however once you get to cast steel/iron ones the differences start to narrow.

This one is solidly build. It has a nice weighty feel to it and the adjustments work well. The general build and fit is good - for the money - and it is nice to hold. However like any reasonably priced item you have accept that you are not getting a Lie-Nielson so a bit of touch up work might be in order. On mine the back end of the plane had a couple of casting marks left and the edges of the sole were a bit sharp. Five minutes with a smooth file to give a slight radius to the edges and to remove the casting marks and it was almost ready. Out of curiosity I checked the flatness of the sole and it was true - which it should be having been cast then flat top ground in a factory - as an engineer I have my doubts as to some of the nonsense talked about in the magazines about flattening the plane at home. Chances are that it a machine can't do it you won't be able to by hand at home - you will simply put a curve on the bottom.

Blade was sharp but I honed it anyway which was probably more habit than need.

Overall a great value block plane that in my hands works no worse or better than one costing five times the amount.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, exactly as described, 9 Sep 2010
This review is from: Faithfull 6012 Block Plane In Wooden Box (DIY & Tools)
I was aprehensive of buying something that was so much cheaper than its better known rivals, but this is a first class plane. I have used it on softwoods and hardwoods and find its performance second to none that I've used before. The blade did require a short hone to get it really razor sharp. I love the fine adjustments on this plane, so easy and quick to set. You may notice it is quite heavy, I don't know, maybe should have been made of steel instead of iron, but that doesn't affect its performance. The plane also comes in a very nice green felt lined wooden box. I'm so glad I didn't waste money on a plane that was three times the price, because there's really no need to, it is very well made. And let's face it, you don't get bargains like this every day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Plane, 5 July 2010
This review is from: Faithfull 6012 Block Plane In Wooden Box (DIY & Tools)
This is one of those items that that just works right out of the box! Good solid construction and nicely machined parts make this little block plane a pleasure to use. I was originally going to plump for a more expensive make such as stanley but my wallet dictated otherwise. I'm glad I did as for around a third of the price of more well known brands I have got a fab bit of kit and a nice addition to my toolbox. Even the smart lined wooded box it comes in is quality. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars good little block plane, 8 Jun 2012
This review is from: Faithfull 6012 Block Plane In Wooden Box (DIY & Tools)
impressed for price, nice and heavy, the bottom was a little concave but i linished with wet and dry on a sheet of glass, cuts fine but will hone the blade, great :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little performer., 7 April 2012
Charles Black (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faithfull 6012 Block Plane In Wooden Box (DIY & Tools)
I bought this as a Christmas present for my daughters boyfriend , who likes to do DIY. I have seen him using this and he is very impressed with it's performance. Solidly constructed and in a great little wooded storage box. Even the box is good quality having dovetail joints on the corners. The other good reviews on here were certainly right about this product. Although it is not a well know brand name, don't be put off by this, as this is a quality piece of kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top value for money, 1 Feb 2012
This review is from: Faithfull 6012 Block Plane In Wooden Box (DIY & Tools)
I was a little dubious of buying this plane, as I tend to find you get what you pay for with hand tools and this comes in pretty cheap. I was however, pleasantly surprised with what I received.

The construction is of a nice standard; The body of the plane is good solid and square and the fittings and fixtures are of a decent quality. All in all, this is just a really well put together tool.

I did find that the blade was a little off square, but a minor amount of regrinding and sharpening soon put it right and the blade now takes a surprisingly sharp edge. I did also find that the lever cap was a little small for my palm and too far forward for complete comfort, but then I do have pretty large hands.

Overall this is a great value for money product, which should be good for many years of use- well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this plane, 6 July 2011
This review is from: Faithfull 6012 Block Plane In Wooden Box (DIY & Tools)
Excellent plane. Very well made and easy to adjust. I have not bought a faithful brand tool before but after buying this plane I will definitely be looking for more of there tools in future. If I had known that It was such good quality I would have bought this instead Faithfull CARPBAG Carpenters Tool Set (7 Pieces) as it includes this plane plus 6 other useful tools.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great solid little plane, 23 Dec 2010
This review is from: Faithfull 6012 Block Plane In Wooden Box (DIY & Tools)
Really pleased with this plane,i'm in the caravan repair buisness so this comes in really handy in tight spaces.
Its manufactured very well and comes in a felt lined wooden box to keep it working well for many years.
You'll be hard pushed to find a block plane of this quality any cheaper...

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so good ,not ready out of the box., 4 April 2014
This review is from: Faithfull 6012 Block Plane In Wooden Box (DIY & Tools)
I Bought it three months ago. Lots of work to make it usable:
heavily Fettled the sole
Sharpened the iron
Cap Iron casting was full of defects, I had to mend it with a file. Including cap level screw hole, which prevented iron side adjustment
Worse I had to touch up the bed of the iron, because plane was cutting more on one side
Even after all this job done, the plane was chattering baddly, so I made a new iron out of High Carbon steel, 3.5 mm thick.
Now it works almost fine, I can take fine shavings from hard oak or olive wood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Faithfull 6012 Block Plane In Wooden Box (DIY & Tools)
This is a high quality product. If you are looking for a small block plane that will do the job this is it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›