5.0 out of 5 stars Prestige Smartplus Stainless steel pressure cooker 6 litre
Published on 12 Feb 2010 by Alexander N. Frain

1.0 out of 5 stars Expectation deflated
There is greater steam release from the Prestige Smartplus stainless steel pressure cooker than with its older aluminium predecessor. This fact alone causes greater water loss.

Published on 27 Jun 2006 by Philip Dawes

5.0 out of 5 stars Prestige Smartplus Stainless steel pressure cooker 6 litre, 12 Feb 2010
Alexander N. Frain (Edinburgh GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prestige Smartplus Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker - 6 Litre (Kitchen & Home)
We purchased this product because we installed an induction hob and our old Prestige pressure cooker was no use. We are very impressed with it. I don't know where the negative reports are coming from because there is no escape of steam from the seals. The controls are very simple to understand and to use. There is no valve which can fail and send the contents up to the ceiling. Any excess pressure escapes at back of the handle in a horizontal direction away from where your hands would be ie. to the back of the hob.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Pressure Cooker, 14 Feb 2013
J. Barker (Essex , England) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent pressure cooker, and like some of the previous reviewers I purchased this because we had installed an Induction Hob therefore a new pressure cooker was needed. My old Prestige pressure cooker had been in use for at least 16 years so I had no hesitation in buying this one. Any previous issues regarding the lids seem to be fully resolved now. I did contact Prestige directly before purchasing this just to find out the details regarding the recall in April 2012. I was very happy with the way their Customer Services dealt with my enquiry. They explained that any Prestige Smartplus Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker 6 litre purchased now, should have a small hole on the lid opposite the handle. They said this is how you can tell if you have purchased I new model or not. Needless to say I ordered from Amazon there and then. Sure enough when it arrived (very quickly) it had the required hole in the lid. p.s. If you decide to purchase this pressure cooker, make sure when you open the box you have the tiny brush for cleaning the safety valve out, mine was missing so I phoned Prestige customer services and they were very helpful and sent me one out the same day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disregard the bad reviews - problems fixed, 23 Oct 2010
Mrs. F. Moulin (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
I read the negative reviews on this site with trepidation - then I noticed they were old. I reasoned that the manufacturer would have sorted out basic problems by now and took a chance on buying the Prestige pressure cooker at a very good price. I am absolutely delighted with it. It cooks just as it should. I have had pressure cookers for over 40 years and I think this is probably the best yet. It comes to pressure very quickly and also releases pressure quickly. No problems. I thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 31 Dec 2009
Mr. A. Williams (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this pressure cooker about a year ago and have used it nearly every day since, so far I've only needed to replace the gasket. Occasionally I take it to pieces to give it a good clean and it's really easy to do. I have no complaints about this product and I would recommend it to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Expectation deflated, 27 Jun 2006

Whereas with the earlier Prestige aluminium pressure cooker, (which has three weighted pressure valves), it took 28 minutes to cook 1 lb of soya beans, (after 24 hours pre-soaking.) In order to properly cook the same quantity using the Smartplus stainless steel pressure cooker, which only has two pressure valve settings, it now takes 1 hour for the soya beans to cook. Not only that, but it uses more than double the quantity of water to do so. This really defeats the "steam cooking" process.

Prestige produced a nice sleek design with the Smartplus pressure cooker, but failed in its functionality, which is, after all, the most important aspect, and certainly more important than design. The older aluminium pressure cooker cooked at 15 psi at its higher of three settings. Its Smartplus stainless steel replacement only goes to 12 psi at its higher of only two settings. This is the reason for double the cooking time.

However, my greatest complaint concerned the factory finishing and cleaning of the inside of the Prestige Smartplus stainless steel pressure cooker.

After the fairly high price paid for the item I expected it to be not only thoroughly cleaned and polished outside, but the same inside as well.

I was somewhat taken aback by the fact that there was considerable factory residue on the inside of the pressure cooker, as well as talc on the rubber seal. Even though it is quite normal to thoroughly clean cooking utensils with hot water and soap and rinse well afterwards, to remove all factory contaminants, which I did. I was taken by alarm and surprise to find that there was a thin metallic film on the inside of the lid after the first complete cooking under pressure of the soya beans.

Having removed the soya beans, I immersed the lid and saucepan in cold water in the sink. My concern was intensified to find that the metallic smears were floating on top of the water! This implied that the food contents were also coated in a thin metallic residue, even after thoroughly washing in hot soapy water and rinsing before cooking. Following this discovery I had to throw away the whole contents of the "now contaminated" 1lb of organic soya beans!

I purchased the Prestige Smartplus stainless steel pressure cooker specifically for cooking the organic soya beans on a regular basis (followed by a fermentation process.) I am now left very dissatisfied with this product and shall look for a replacement by another manufacturer!

Having made the complaint to Customer Services at Prestige, pointing out all the above points, including throwing away the contaminated contents after cooking, they made no offer to compensate for the loss!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not made to the old standard, 7 Jan 2007
William Howcroft (UK) - See all my reviews
My wife had a Prestige pressure cooker in 1976 and wished to replace it because the handles 'aged'. The new one was made in Siam. Ir regularly blows it's rubber safety valve. On checking the hole into which the safety valve fits I found it to be punched out .613" diameter compared to .600" for the original for which the spare safety valves are supposedly a common spare. Clearly poorly controlled quality in a product sent out for manufacture in a low cost country.

Trading on the remains of their brand image

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing!, 21 Jun 2007
K. Sebastian - See all my reviews
I have used a pressure cooker all my life. Never expected such a bad quality product from prestige. It is not a pressure cooker actually. The steam leaks through the valve all the time. So there is grater water loss and longer cooking time. I over cooked something and within 5 minutes the safety plug on top melted along with all the red colored plastic. This was a brand new cooker. I just lost my 35 pounds. All the add on features like double pressure etc are all eyewash. They don't add any value. If Prestige keeps on doing this, they will go out of business soon.

1.0 out of 5 stars 7 litre version just as bad, 3 Aug 2007
Mrs. M. Snell - See all my reviews
I have just bought a 7 litre version of the Prestige Smartplus pressure cooker having owned a prestige cooker for 20 years. It is useless. It leaks steam from the valve and constantly drips water and doesn't come to pressure for a long time. Half a pint of water isn't enough to cook simple potatoes with as this leaks before pressure is reached.

4.0 out of 5 stars Safety valve issue, 5 Dec 2009
I was given a 6L stainless Smartplus as a gift to replace the (very) old alminium Prestige model I'd inherited. I used the old one loads and had always found it trouble free. I was very disappointed with the new model which had many of the problems described in other poor reviews, it took a long time to come to pressure, a long time to cook food and used ridiculous amounts of water, often meaning the food inside became dry and sometimes burned.

On washing the lid after another disasterous attempt I managed to remove some 'material' from within the safety valve. It could have been food but I don't think it was. After this the valve moves much more freely within the rubber seal, it now falls open or closed as you turn the lid upside down and back. Previously (I think from new) there was more resistance to the valve moving and you had to use your finger to move it through the rubber seal. The pressure cooker now works brilliantly, if the contents are boiling before I put the lid on it comes up to pressure almost immediately, only a very low heat is required to keep it at pressure during cooking and virtually no water is used.

With it working as well as it is now I've not noticed any real difference between the 12 psi pressure and the old 15 psi of the aluminum model for the cooking I do. If you're having problems I'd suggest a look at the safety valve or maybe try a new one.

1.0 out of 5 stars The one I bought was faulty, 17 Dec 2011
I bought this pressure cooker after reading the glowing reviews, though I must say I only remember my last Prestige pressure cooker lasting a few months. I bought it in 1998 after moving house, to replace my wonderful Tower aluminium model which I had had since 1977. Aluminium can leach into food, which is not good for you, hence the change to stainless steel.

Well, the Prestige plastic handle in those days had some fiddly bits, and one broke off within a few months. I was told I would need a new handle, and was quoted about 30, I seem to remember. I just threw the thing away.

Later tried a couple of pressure cookers from Lidl, as they were stainless steel but under 30. Both stopped working within a few months - they just leaked steam instead of building up any pressure. New gaskets didn't help.

So, saw these great reviews for Prestige on Amazon and thought I'd give the company another chance. Unfortunately had to return it, as it just leaked steam and didn't build up any pressure at all.

Final decision? Found a nice Tower model for the same price at Argos. Tried it out today and it worked fine.