5.0 out of 5 stars "A Low Point in Bowie's Career" - A Foul Untruth
'Labyrinth', Henson's 1986 masterpiece is a modern classic for our generation, one of the best pieces of fantasy to grace our screens since 'The Wizard of Oz'.
Revolving around the main character of Sarah (Connelly), an over-imaginative teenager who struggles to find meaning in life beyond her dolls and dressing-up box, the film is essentially a existentialist study...
Published on 4 April 2004 by Mae McAlister

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing ...
You may be wondering why such a classic as this only receives three stars. For a synopsis of the story itself, there are many fine reviews and testimonials extolling the wonders of this Jim Henson/George Lucas production. I too loved the movie when it first came out and think that it is a must see for children of all ages.
However, my main reservation is that the...
Published on 5 May 2004 by M. Baczynski

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a magical film, 9 July 2006
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Labyrinth (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
This is a magical film. It has incredible puppetry, great music and a fun storyline. This film captivated me as a child and still does so now as an adult. It is one that can be truly described as timeless. The characters are fantastic to watch and the additional disc (make sure you buy this version and not the single disc version) with making of documentary is interesting to watch. Buy it and enter the world of The labyrinth and become spellbound.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Into The Labyrinth, 7 Aug 2004
This review is from: Labyrinth (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
"Where everything seems possible, and nothing is as it seems..."
Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) is a teenager with an active imagination. Tired of baby-sitting her brother every weekend, she summons the goblins, who gladly whisk him away to the castle beyond the Goblin City.
"Goblin King, Goblin King, wherever you may be, take this child of mine far away from me!"
Full of regret, she pleads with the spoilt Goblin King, Jareth (David Bowie) who gives her thirteen hours in which to solve his Labyrinth. The Labyrinth is a twisted maze of deception, where Sarah meets several interesting and outrageous characters.
"It's a crystal, nothing more. But if you turn it this way, and look into it, it will show you your dreams..."
Jareth will stop at nothing to lead her away from his castle...
"Through dangers untold, and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City, to take back the child that you have stolen... for my will is as strong as yours... you have no power over me..."
A must-have for any fan of fantasy movies! This is a classic, and I must say that if they ever did a re-make of it I would not be a happy person!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Labyrinth, 28 May 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Labyrinth [DVD] [1986] (DVD)
The first film i ever saw, and the only film you ever need to see. Perfect for every mood this tale of loyalty and devotion is helped along with a touch of magic from cast and characters turning it into the best film ever made. It's originality sets it apart and who can complain - David Bowie as the lead...what else do you need? Oh yeah, a worm with blue hair and a Missus...oh no, it has that too! Timeless.

5.0 out of 5 stars You think you've seen Labyrinth.... think again!, 17 Aug 2013
S. Kellaway - See all my reviews
Labyrinth is one of my personal favourite films of all time. I must have seen it about 100 times on VHS and DVD over the years growing up. At first I was a little skeptical about the blu-ray because a few of the older films that I had bought on blu-ray did'nt really live up to expectations (Not much change to picture quality from dvd, lack of extras etc.). All I can say is that Labyrinth looks beautiful in blu-ray, the picture is so crisp and clear that you will see details that you never could before. I could go into detail but if you are a fan or are thinking of watching the film for the first time then look no further than this blu-ray.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, 9 July 2013
This will likely be lost among the plethora of 5 star reviews this film has already quite rightly received but I thought I'd thriw my two cents in anyway.

So for those who haven't seen this film the basic plot is somewhat similar to Alice in Wonderland, with a girl in a perfectly ordinary life being transported into a magical, mystical world and trying her best to find her way. The main character, Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) begins the film in the "real world", babysitting her bay brother. However she isn't best pleased about it, concocting a story about a goblin king who falls in love with a girl and takes her baby brother away from her to make her happy. Unbeknownst to her such a character does exist- Jareth (David Bowie) hears her request and the story begins from here.

There's really not much to dislike about this film. People who thoroughly dislike cheesiness in films may take issue with this film however that is really to be expected in a film that's over 25 years old and stars David Bowie. However for everyone else I think the word that best describes this film is charming. Everything from the characters to the songs to the puppets (from the Jim Henson studio no less) just oozes charm and lovability. As I said the story is very similar to 'Alice' however, particularly at a young age, it feels far more dramatic and tense. The characters are all unique, with their own personalities and mannerisms (despite the vast majority being puppets), and great voice acting where it is used. Really the whole setting is just excellent with the majority of the film taking place in the labyrinth itself but still with enough variations from scene to scene to keep it feeling fresh and interesting. And then of course there are the songs. Yes they're a little cheesy but no less catchy and memorable, no doubt you'll be singing along with by the second or third watch (because you'll absoulely be watching and rewqtching this film time and time again). Overall the film is absoultely five stars. It's no cinematic artistic masterpiece but it is excellent fun, particularly recommended as a family film for a rainy day.

Now the blu ray transfer. Again I'd say this is very well done, with crystal clear picture making the film look sharper then ever. Even better it hasn't been fiddled with to the point that there are changes in colours or so much smoothing that the film looks like it was filmed through a greasy lens. I'm afraid I can't comment on the sound particularly as all I have is the speakers in my television and to be honest it sounds basically the same as the dvd. However this transfer would definitely be 4 and a half stars. There's still some grain in places but really this is very minor and just a sign of the film's age.

Basically if you're looking for a good family film abosultely get this (or even if you're just looking for a good laugh)- you won't regret it. Even better if you have a blu ray player then get the blu ray, the transfer's excellent and shows a real improvement from the original picture.

4.0 out of 5 stars LABYRINTH BLU-RAY, 14 May 2010
Mr. D. J. Gibson (UK) - See all my reviews
This title although older is reproduced in Blu-Ray to enhance and give depth. I was very impressed with how sharp and deep the images were and of course the film is one for the whole family.Excellent edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoggle, 30 Sep 2008
This is a truly wonderful childrens film. Jim Hensen outdoes himself. This is so enjoyable. As a child I loved it as have my children since.
It is a great adventure and has mystical elements to it.
There are dwarfs, goblins, a goblin king, all kinds of creatures in this film.
Its about a spoilt girl who lives with her father, step mother and baby step brother.
She seems a little jealous of her step brother and that she no longer has her father's undivided attention.
She reads a book called "The Labyrinth", a favourite book that she recites passages from.
She wishes her baby brother away and is horrified when her wish comes true!
The goblin king appears to her. He has the baby in his castle beyond the goblin city via the labyrinth.
She is given just hours to solve the labyrinth or her baby step-brother will never be returned but turned into a goblin.
This is a very enjoyable adventure story suitable for just about any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Through dangers untold..., 30 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Labyrinth [DVD] [1986] (DVD)
I first saw Labyrinth when I was 6 and admittedly it scared the hell out of me. However, after seeing it playing in my local video store I decided I had to get it out again, just to see why I was so frightened. I am now 17 and Labyrinth is my favourite film!
The attraction of the film lies in the fact that it is not a simple good v evil type battle - both sides show signs of the opposite eg Sarah's selfishness when she calls on the goblins and Jareth's love for Sarah, which makes the film so much more interesting to watch. That aside, the vast array of different worlds the Labyrinth throws you into, from the column of Helping Hands to The Bog of Eternal Stench and of course Escher's stairs, make watching this movie a total joy because it lets your imagination run wild!
Bowie is phenomenal as Jareth - everything from his stunning costumes, the note of irritated sarcasm in his voice when talking to the not-so-very-bright goblins, and of course the use of the crystals, all come together to create this fascinating enigmatic (and very sexy, as it has been said before!) character.
My favourite sequence in the film has to be the ball sequence that Sarah dreams. Despite this film being marketed as a kid's movie, this sequence I think will capture the hearts of more adults than children for the simple reason it is so beautifully created. It echoes Venetian 18th Century masquerade balls with all their magestic elegance, and the costumes suitably infer this too. But it is the music that really pulls the sequence together - Bowie's lyrics being truly sublime.
The DVD features a 56-minute documentary that gives you an insight into lots of the puppetry techniques, and also how the goblins moved from the original drawings to their final amazing state. I cannot recommend this film enough - anyone wanting a really funny piece of escapist fantasy, you cannot beat this!
My final recommendation is that you keep a look out for the worm - aside from Jareth, he's the cutest character in it!

5.0 out of 5 stars "I wish, I wish..........", 26 Jan 2003
S. Moriarty "Suze" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Labyrinth [DVD] [1986] (DVD)
I had a copy of this brilliant film on video.
But years of overwatching and singing along to 'You remind me of the babe...', made me grab the DVD once it was released.
This is visual artistry at its best. A film that hasn't aged at all. Puppets that look surreal and real?
This films succeeds! Bringing entertainment to both adults and children.
A story that I hope my kids will be brought up on!
Completely fictitious this movie stills has a balance of realism and fantasy to it. And abundance of human emotion and devellopment even though their are only two major human characters in it (Connelly and Bowie) the rest, goblins and gools.........
And of course not to forget. Music by David Bowie means this film caters in all directions, even for non-Bowie fabs.
But like me, and thoughs Bowie fans out there, this movie makes you love him even more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Brilliant, Bloody Fantastic!!!!!!, 5 Nov 2002
Miss S Cragg (Winchester, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Labyrinth [DVD] [1986] (DVD)
I am sure that all of thoes reading this review already know what the film is about. (After all it says it in all the other reveiws!). I have grown up watching it as a kid and I always imagined myself as the character Sarah, who goes on the most magical adventure in the world.
But as I have grown up with it, I have noticed new and more wonderful things, more detail to do with the puppets and new debates to have with my friends. (I still can't work out how that whole chosing which door to go through when one is lying thing works).
The songs are timeless and you never forget them and this story has a bit of everything, comedy, love, adventure, magic and one or two quite scar moments! And the puppets are out of this work. It's as if they are really real creatures.
This film can appeal to everyone and I suggest you give it agao because after you've seen it once you'll fall madly and deeply in love with it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›