Format: Audio CD|Change

Beginning with the Dean Martin classic that gives this compilation its title, this compilation is packed full of easy listening classics from the fifties and sixties, some of which have been released many times on different compilations while others don't get released very often.
Cliff Richard is here with three songs - The young ones, The minute you're gone and Bachelor boy. Elsewhere, there are a couple of classics each by the Seekers (Georgy girl, I'll never find another you), Des O'Connor (Dick-a-dum dum, I pretend) and Tony Bennett (Chicago, I left my heart in San Francisco).
Johnnie Ray (Just walking in the rain), Jim Reeves (Distant drums), Michael Holliday (Story of my life), Petula Clark (This is my song), Perry Como (Magic moments), Frank Ifield (I remember you), Pat Boone (Love letters in the sand), Doris Day (Secret love), Matt Monro (Portrait of my love), Vikki Carr (It must be him) and Jo Stafford (You belong to me) are among the many other great singers represented by classic oldies. I'm also pleased to see that the UK hit version of Moon River (by Danny Williams) is included. While this song is generally associated with Andy Williams (no relation to Danny), his version is generally easier to find.
If I haven't mentioned your favorite, don't worry - there's a lot of great music here. If you enjoy easy listening music of the fifties and sixties, you'll love this compilation - and if you haven't already got the second volume, buy that too, if you can afford them both.
on 14 March 2005
Let me take you back... to a time before the Beatles took the British popular music genre by the scruff of the neck and gave it something to make the Americans sit up and notice. Back to a time when the chart was called a hit parade and it was filled with (mostly male) singers either doing novelty songs or trying to be the next Cole or Sinatra (does that not sound familiar?).
Concentrating mainly on the period between the publication of the first British chart in 1954 and the arrival of the beat groups in 1963, this collection manages to squeeze 60 of those classic oldies into two and a half hours - in those days nothing outstayed its welcome. A few post-Beatles artists are included - they tended either to be comedians (Ken Dodd, Des O'Connor, who actually had very fine singing voices) or linked to movies ("This Is My Song" and "Edelweiss").
The over-riding consideration is that just about all of these songs had unforgettable melodies, were well sung and produced, and still sound great today, proof of this being that many of them have been covered in more recent times by performers old and new.
Anyone over 50 will remember these all too clearly, may even have bought the original 7" singles (or 78s in a few cases). While none of the tracks are rare or been on compilations before this is a great collection to have - the only risk involved is possible annoyance to others caused by your whistling or humming tunes from it at odd times of the day!
on 9 January 2014
This cd has passed all my expectations, very good value for money, very good on delivery and packaging and I expected a somewhat old sound from the 60 tracks that are on the cd, but, the quality of sound is very good through my six speakers and sub woofer that I have connected to my PC.
on 13 July 2014
Oh, what memories cone flooding back as I listened to the songs that one could hear every word, and tunes that are catchy and easy to listen to. I recommend this to all us over 5o. Just pour yourself a glass of wine, turn the light down low and wallow ion yesteryear./
on 3 June 2015
This has many popular songs on it and many well known artists for example Doris Day and Frank Sinatra they were all very popular in the fiftees and sisters, many of them whent on to make many well known films.
on 15 December 2013
Very pleased with purchase. brought this for the home where I work. The residents knew all the songs and had great fun singing along to them
on 18 May 2015
As apparently i am my grandads personal amazon shopper I have been made to purchase this 3 times for his various friends! It must be good?!
on 23 November 2015
Here we go again, another great CD that I can enjoy until the cows come home. Another set of Golden Oldie's safely in my collection.
on 18 January 2014
I was playing this CD when a neighbour called in over Christmas,they enjoyed it so much they asked me to order one for them
on 21 April 2014
very pleased with my cd i am so pleased with amzon i aways give top marks all round well done to amzon