5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun
Published 17 months ago by Ann Mac

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather miffed
Published 7 months ago by bookworm

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 11 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Learning Resources GeoVision MicroPro 48-Piece Microscope Set (Toy)
This is a very good microscope for the money as an ex microscopist who was used to using a microscope that cost thousands, I was impressed with the optics of this microscope which I bought for my 6 year old granddaughter. We have had great fun with it I particularly like the top light so you can look at larger thick things such as blades of grass mosses etc. unfortunately this light seems to have a poor connection and needs jingling about sometimes to make it work. I now wish I had kept slides from my working days so that we had lots of really interesting things to look at.

5.0 out of 5 stars GRANDDAUGHTER DELIGHTED, 13 Sept. 2012
Bought this for my granddaughter's 9th birthday. She is absolutely thrilled with it and started using it immediately. Bought an Usborne book for microscope to go with it. A brilliant present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Microscope purchase, 14 April 2012
Excellent Microscope set. Ideal for teenagers too to learn and experiment! Good packaging and prompt delivery. I'm hoping we can purchase more sample slides too once the current starter set of slides are used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 28 Feb. 2013
This is really good value for the money and my daughter loves it. Seems easy enough to use, and the kit that comes with it is great, allowing for beginner exploration to spark the imagination and a desire for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars best starter microscope, 9 Jun. 2013
I bought this for my 10 year old grandson and he loves it. He has been making his own slides and trying to think what he can put on them.so glad I bought it;_

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather miffed, 15 Sept. 2014
Having read the various reviews about this microscope, I thought it might be suitable for my 8 year old grandson. I decided to check it out before giving it to him, and found it to be difficult to focus, even at low power, and, on changing to higher power, the racking mechanism was wobbly enough to allow the objective lenses to move and to lose the image from the field of view ! Even at best, the specimens viewed were not very crisply defined.

There also seemed to be dirt inside the lens system, and the mirror was scratched.

I am used to using microscopes, but still found it fiddly to achieve only modest success. A child wants results quickly and easily, and also requires fairly robust equipment.

Even allowing for the modest price, I was very disappointed with the quality of this microscope, and, with much regret, sent it back as unsuitable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Item faulty, 26 Dec. 2013
The light appears to have been assembled incorrectly. It does not shine on the item being viewed. Looked great when we took it from the box, appeared to be good quality. Very disappointed little girl who received this for a Christmas present!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 26 Sept. 2013
I bought this microscope for one of my uni projects, as an art student I was hoping to get some interesting imagery through the lens as visual research, and that's exactly what I got. I'm no expert on microscope quality/pricing but I feel that this item is brilliant value for money. It is easy to use even for a beginner, just pop 2xAA batteries underneath (screwdriver required) to use the built in LED light to illuminate your slides, or if you're in bright enough light flip the LED over to use the mirror. Easy to focus - just choose your power setting (low/med/high but low power seems to be enough...) and turn to focus. 3 prepared slides are included - they're brilliant! There's also everything you could need.. blank slides, tweesers, petri dishes,vials etc. the only problem I have with this product is that I can't think of what to put under it next.. :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Microscope review, 20 Dec. 2013
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this as an educational toy for my daughters 8th birthday as she loves science.
The product sadly is of substandard quality as the 1st time she used it on her birthday the focus adjustment wheel broke & would not wind up or down, thus making it impossible to focus on the slide.
After sevral attempts i managed to get the adjustment working but only by sliding the lense up & down as the wheel mechanism had stripped & was totally useless.
I wouldnt recommend this product based on its poor quality & easy risk of breakage. It should be a lot more durable as its designed for children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 23 April 2013
A reasonably robust microscope which I bought for my 9 year for her birthday. Comes with three slides to whet the appetite and then a list of experiments for your aspiring microbiologist which when my daughter comes back to it, will be really useful. Whilst she has yet to get going on it past the initial excitement - as grown ups, we are having a ball - straight back to school and just being really thrilled with experiments- almost forgot who was the kid!

Learning Resources GeoVision MicroPro 48-Piece Microscope Set