4.0 out of 5 stars ENJOYABLE 70s GRINDHOUSE STYLE HELLRIDE.
REVIEWED VERSION: 2002 Lionsgate US Blu-Ray

Director: Rob Zombie

Cast: Sid Haig, Bill Moseley, Chad Bannon, William Bassett, Karen Black, Erin Daniels, Joe Dobbs III, Walton Goggins, Jennifer Jostyn, Chris Hardwick

SYNOPSIS

Two couples are driving through backwoods America in search of some offbeat roadside attractions, such as...
Published 6 months ago by Caligula II.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Clear Rip Off Of So Many Better Movies
When I watched House of 1000 corpses, I had already seen Rob Zombies other movies (except devils rejects) so I figured this would be at least ok because I liked his other movies, but I have to say this was his worst oneand I was very disappointed. Even Halloween 2 is better than this (which I liked more than most people did).
It does kind of become frustrating after...
Published 4 months ago by Jack Wilson

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Fun, 16 Jan. 2006
Stuart Maynard "neatosuk" (london) - See all my reviews
right first off i heard the hype of it being a video nasty and its not,so??? does that make it a bad film??? no its good bordering on great i think sid haig is brilliant in this total thumbs up apart from the birds really annoying voice its a good kinda eerie not very scary flick,rob if you read this for your next one a few more scares please thanx

2.0 out of 5 stars Average....., 28 Dec. 2005
By A Customer
Suprisingly, this film is NOT gorey. Before it's release I heard it was supposed to be extremly brutal and un-nerving.......sorry I must have missed that bit. In fact, I found the whole thing rather amusing. Ok, so it's a black comedy, but I was expecting some hardcore blood splattered mayhem, which sadly was no where to be found.
Instead, the movie turned out to be an average horror flick with some interesting characters and rather good acting. Some of the camera work and direction also did not fail to impress. However, as a gorehound and horror fan, I expected Rob make his place in history and give us ll what he promised...a video nasty. But it wasn't to be.
I would have given this 2.5 stars, however even that felt generous. But it was a good try Zombie, hope you learn from your mistakes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Bad, 28 Oct. 2009
C. Hartley (Suffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House Of 1000 Corpses [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
As a huge fan of devil's rejects i was really expecting a lot from this film. Unfortunatly i was very dissapointed! At the beginning i thought it had potential to be good but after about 30 mins it just got weird and there was so many special effects you cannot follow the plot! Beats me why people give this 5 stars. :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly Appalling, 2 May 2004
This review is from: House Of 1000 Corpses [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
Stay away. This film was possibly the worst waste of nearly two hours I've ever had. I picked it up, and it looked as if it was going to be all-out gore, or possibly have a strong element of humour in it. How wrong I was.
The plot was a total bore, and all aspects of it had no resemblance to normal human behaviour, with character reactions being totally impossible to fathom. The few good parts of the movie were stolen from other great films, and still were poorly executed. There was no understandable logic to any part of the film, if it can be described as that, although I think the DVD would be worth more if it was melted down to its raw components.
The possible humour I mentioned? Nope. Nothing. How about any emotion then? Sadness? Joy? Maybe some romance in a 'horror' movie? The strongest emotion I felt was the relief, and joy when 'THE END' appeared on my TV.
Special effects were used far too much; it seems as if the makers concentrated on fancy effects that make the picture so strange that viewers can't actually tell what's happening, rather than concentrating on the plot, and quality of the film. In all honesty I could have closed my eyes and have been none the wiser with some of the picture effects. If you're after a heavy usage of special effects, watch this film. However if you're after a heavy usage of special effects, but applied correctly, and in the right places, then this isn't for you.
The gore element was virtually non-existant, and very disappointing. The "scary moments" were not at all scary, and really in my opinion would be quite suitable for toddlers. Very boring in that department. I've seen more gore after a paper-cut.
The acting really was terrible. I could describe it in more detail, but my vocabulary doesn't contain enough put-downs to give you an accurate picture of how detrimental and unconvincing the acting is. There also was no attachment to the characters. I wasn't feeling for them at all. In the Evil Dead for example, I'm totally with the poor guy, and I find myself wishing him well, and hoping he'll survive, etc, etc. However with this film, I was praying for them to all be killed by some unimpressive and unoriginal means so that the film could end!
So - my recommendations. Go for "The Evil Dead" or "Braindead" a.k.a "Dead Alive" if you're after purest gore. If you're more interested in a truly brilliant plot, with some gore, then maybe "The Thing" will be more your cup of tea. In fact, pick any film at random, and it will almost certainly be more worthwhile than this one!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor..., 22 April 2004
This review is from: House Of 1000 Corpses [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
The first half hour of this film had me telling i'd got my money'sworth....but then i started rumaging in my bin for that recept i thoughti'd never need.
Rob zombie is a very talented song writer and performer, but sadlydirecting isn't for him. I feel sorry for him because he really tried tomake this film scary, which it clearly is not.
It's not really a gore-fest either, which it was made out to be. Ok, itfeatures a few dead torture victims strung up on the walls with bloodstains on their clothes, but apart from that there isn't any squirtingblood or guts like i though there'd be.
None of the characters were any good either, except for Captain Spaulding,but sadly he's only in it for a few minutes.
If you like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, then you'll hate this. It really doesput horror films to shame. In fact any true horror fan will hate this,because it's what anyone could do.
I'm sorry that i really cannot describe how bad it is. Please take my wordfor it, don't spend you money on this. Watch the original Texas chainsawmassacre, which Rob clearly tried to remake.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on Texas Chainsaw Massacre, 17 Feb. 2004
This review is from: House Of 1000 Corpses [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
When I saw the posters for this film, I thought :"Eek, that looks scary". And it did look scary, with a deranged-looking Rob Zombie in a clown's outfit!! What I was expecting was a Texas Chainsaw-type movie, but only better; i.e., more scary and entertaining. But the film was, to my mind, a waste of Zombie's creative talent - even as a farcical parody of the of 70s B movie Horror formula, the film didn't impress.
In Texas Chainsaw, we see the main protagonist tethered to a chair in a room full of Psycho-Morons who seem intent on killing her then ultimately eating her - the claustrophic atmosphere of the scene, coupled to some very powerful acting, made it so convincing that one almost felt that one was there. No so, in Zombie's movie : I actually almost walked out of the movie theatre given the mediocre quality of the acting and the plot.
In a nutshell, I found this movie a waste of time.

3.0 out of 5 stars 1000 corpses, 22 Feb. 2004
This review is from: House Of 1000 Corpses [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
when i started to watch this film i thought just another load of rubbish but as the film went on the more i got captivated the gore and torture was brilliant not a suspense film but if you like gore with a sventies style horror well worth a watch

1.0 out of 5 stars Boooooorrrrriiiiing....., 2 May 2004
This review is from: House Of 1000 Corpses [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
If you enjoyed this film, you really should get out more....This is just a very sad rip-off of so many other films. It's been done much better in the past, and is a poor attempt to create some of the effects seen in Texas Chainsaw massacre and that ilk. Go for a decent film with genuine horror, gore and shock factor.....Harry Potter is more scary and at least it has decent acting.
Best thing to do is forget it, close the curtains and grab a copy of Braindead(Dead Alive)and prepare for a true classic.

1.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable waste of time, 12 Feb. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: House Of 1000 Corpses [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
I was profoundly disappointed by this film.
Rob Zombie is a competent industrial-metallist, but what I want to know is : Why did he make this film? It adds little or nothing to the existing films of this particular genre. The acting was mediocre; the screenplay was laughable; the plot was almost non-existent.
For everybody's sake, let's hope that that White Zombie re-group and that there leader, Rob Zombie, gets back to doing what he does best - producing entertaining industrial metal!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing :(, 23 May 2006
I didn't realise when I seen the Devils Rejects (of which I am a big fan), that it was a sequel to this, so when I found out I ordered it straight away and couldn't wait to watch it. But it was a let down :(

Its boring and hard to follow to say the least, give this one a miss.

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

House Of 1000 Corpses [2003] [DVD]
House Of 1000 Corpses [2003] [DVD] by Rob Zombie (DVD - 2004)