on 16 March 2004
Firstly, I must disagree with some of the other reviewers concerning this album. One review considered CD2 much better than CD 1 (and this from a mainstream DJ's point of view), yet CD 1 contains the better known tracks.
For anyone who is remotely interested in late 70's / early 80's funk/dance then this is the CD for you. Classic tracks from a wide range of artists including the great Candi Staton, Evelyn "Champagne" King, Kool and the Gang, Shalamar and McFadden & Whitehead. Add to this the ground breaking sounds of Booker Newberry III, Funkadelic, Cameo and The fatback Bamd. Really, if you can't dance to this little collection of gems then you sure as hell can't dance. But hey it's great to listen to as well. Highly recommended
on 20 April 2004
I love this sort of music old funk soul classics and Ministry don'tdisappoint with this one although i feel cd1 is the better of thetwo,however there are some chesnuts on here my faves being DTrains'"You're The One For Me" and Colnel Abrams' "Trapped" all in all a greatcd,shame no one does club nights that plays the funk soul stuff....
on 6 March 2004
This cd has to be one of the best out there that has 1980s
classics on it. Artists such as Shalamar, Midnight Star,
Fat Larry's Band on disc 1 and Oliver Cheatham and Shalamar
again on disc 2! Some people think that the 2nd disc is better
than the first but i disagree, the 1st disc is just slightly
better. 10/10 for cd 1, 9/10 for cd 2. Overall though this is
perfect for old school parties and discos alike. If you like
retro music i suggest you buy this now, it will always remind
you of the good times in life. Enjoy!
on 19 February 2004
Hi to all, I highly recomend this compilation to any one who listens's to heart 106.2. fm radio station. its got all the classic's tracks from that funky 60's soul era. A great cd to get your weekend started, my personal favourite's on the c.d are I FOUND LOVIN by FATBACK BAND, and also LOVE COME DOWN, by EVELYN CHAMPAGNE KING. It's great to see a compilation that young and old will enjoy and boogie to at parties.
on 28 February 2005
Let me start by saying what the hell is that one reviewer from wheymouth or wherever doing with his review, all that stuff about would he dance to the tracks by percentage etc... hahahaha sorry that just made me chuckle too much! Get real!
Anyways, im 20 and i wasnt even alive when this music was the popular genre but i know good music and this cd is a classic.
Theres a few tracks that could be replaced by more headnodding tracks hence the 4 stars but apart from that its an amazing collection of tracks to chill or party, and let me assure me i do both!
Standout tarcks include Jocelyn Brown - Somebody elses guy (i dont think anyone has mentioned this yet!!) Fat larrys band - Zoom, Mary Jane girls - All night long, to name just a few.
of course everyone has their own opinion about fave tracks but i'm sure that anyone could find a song they love in this collection. Cheers :o) Happy listening
on 27 November 2013
A good mix of tracks no fillers truly a funk soul classic from the truly excellent decade of taste 1980s.
on 12 July 2012
This is an amazing buy my husband has played it non stop and if not playing he is huming the tunes a must have if you are a soul music fan and love the 80's funk the price is a good thing too so what are you waiting for buy and be dancing around your car,house,office or just along the street you will not regret it
on 31 May 2013
Bought this while browsing what zoverstocks had for sale and they never fail to dissapoint! I love getting all these old albums which I once had on LP and tape, my collection is coming along nicely now thanks to their bargain prices!
on 2 April 2014
Bought this for my teenage son who is into retro music. Have listened to it a couple of times and there are some great tunes. Gets us all shaking our hips in the kitchen.
on 1 March 2004
There are lots of good tracks on this album, BUT haven't we had them all for years ? well I have !
Good buy for the car if you haven't allready got them all on cd, but to be honest I could have done this compilation, and I think I would have made a better choice of tracks, far too commercial choices on this album, I think.