5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant Memories
My late husband and myself watched this film a few times, first at the cinema as young marrieds and later on TV. It is one of those classics like The Sound of Music or The Railway Children which you never tire of and it is a wonderful story of childhood innocence in the days when children were allowed to be children. I too hope they don't attempt to remake this film...
Published on 23 July 2007 by Technical and Artistic

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a gift for someone
quick delivery as always - but have not watched it myself so cannot comment. I watched the film on TV a while ago and it was entertaining.
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Why I Love This Movie, 30 Oct 2009
June W. Debarros "JunedeB" (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whistle Down The Wind [DVD] (DVD)
This is a delightful movie. It beautifully portrays the trust and innocence of children. "Charles" is a delightful little boy......beautifully played by a little boy who is a "natural".

My only problem is; why is it that it can only be played in Zone 2?

June de Barros

5.0 out of 5 stars Just A Joy To Watch, Again & Again!, 6 Dec 2010
Jimmy Stix (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whistle Down The Wind [DVD] (DVD)
It's difficult to add anything more to the other reviews that have praised this film so highly. They are absolutely spot on. It is a marvellous story that perfectly captures the innocence of childhood. There are many, many moments to savour with elements of real humour as well as tragedy and pathos. I have watched this film again and again and I never get tired of it. If ever there was a rainy Sunday afternoon British film then this is it.
It's just lovely and the commentary track with Hayley Mills is an added delight. As Hayley herself says, it would be difficult to make this film today. Children just don't have that wide eyed innocence and are too exposed to the "outside" world.
It still has the capacity to "get me right here" and bring tears to my eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly beautiful Picture!, 13 Aug 2008
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Whistle Down The Wind [DVD] (DVD)
A truly lovely film, beautifully shot in black and white, and definitely an all time British classic from the early 60s.

Hayley Mills leads a marvellous cast of some very talented and 'innocent' children who mistakenly believe a criminal on the run to be Jesus Christ.

Perfectly scripted with some great dialogue after being sent to bed between the two sisters after discovering who they believe to be Jesus in the barn, and lots of 'typical' behaviour from children of that period, and from a time long gone... (more's the pity...) After viewing this movie, nobody should be under any illusion that children are better off with all their designer clothes, mobile phones, sophisticated toys, and all the protection and pampering of today - they should be allowed to 'live'! This brings back so many memories for me when children were treated as children and nothing more - and were the better for it, yet today their treatment from adults would be viewed as too 'harsh' - even to the way they are spoken to. No computers and video games in those days and a wonderful trip down memory lane for those of us who remember it, and certainly a much needed lesson to those spoilt children of today who simply don't know they're born!

Also stars Bernard Lee, Norman Bird, Gerald Sim, Alan Bates, and a rare treat in a brief appearance of Diane Clare ('The Haunting' 1963) as the Sunday School Teacher.

Wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars An all time favourite, 15 Jan 2008
Mrs. C. Longley (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whistle Down The Wind [DVD] (DVD)
I remember watching this film one sunday afternoon when I was about 10 years old and it stuck in my mind ever since, thus becoming my all time favourite film. I'm now well into my 40's and I could watch this over and over again, its harmless and I can so relate to the children of the time. It seems like back then this was as bad as it got, you didn't have to fear the man on the street would whisk you away to harm you. I can remember thinking I hope Jesus comes back one day to see the children but of course he wasn't Jesus and he wasn't coming back but at the time I too believed in happy endings. Absolutely the best film to pass the time on a miserable, rainy day and be cast back to the good old days.

5.0 out of 5 stars My mum was in this film!, 5 Sep 2007
Saffron "Saf" (Buckinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whistle Down The Wind [DVD] (DVD)
She was one of the extras who ran on in the final scenes.
this is a wonderful, charming, gentle film. I wish I could let my kids run around like Cathy et al. The film captures the innocence and wonder of childhood perfectly, and is nostalgic without being sentimental. One of the great British classics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Film, 16 Sep 2010
E. White - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whistle Down The Wind [DVD] (DVD)
The film was even better than we all remembered. Funny, tear jerking, unforgettable. Our children loved it as much as we did when we first saw it and no doubt will watch it again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars whistle down the wind, 11 July 2009
This review is from: Whistle Down The Wind [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed the film the first time I saw it when the film came out. It was such a lovely story of three innocent children living on a farm in Lancashire not far from where I live near Preston. All the actors were superb

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Whistle Down The Wind [DVD] (DVD)
All I'll say is - Cinematography! Cast and Script. Try making something as good as this now. It ain't gonna happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whiste Down the Wind film dvd, 6 Nov 2011
A. Thompson "Ann T" (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whistle Down The Wind [DVD] (DVD)
Timeless, nostalgic classic set in the northern countryside, featuring a young and delightful Hayley Mills. Great price, speedy service, excellent product.Whistle Down the Wind [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND., 15 Oct 2009
Ralph Cooper - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whistle Down The Wind [DVD] (DVD)
dear sir my wife has watch the above dvd, it is so good my has it on all of the time my wife has side thank you for the dvd.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

Whistle Down The Wind [DVD]
Whistle Down The Wind [DVD] by Bryan Forbes (DVD - 2007)
3.10