Format: DVD|Change

on 11 August 2004
......... The real genius of The Office lies with the characters. Each one is superbly written, excellently cast and perfectly acted. It is filmed in the style of a fly-on-the-wall documentary, the self styled star of which is a tragic character named David Brent (Ricky Gervais). Brent is a wannabe superstar trapped in a middle-manager's body. The Office charts, his desperate struggle for recognition whilst he slowly loses his grip on reality, and his job. Alongside Brent stands Gareth Keenan (Mackenzie Crook), a kind of brown-nosing jobsworth who despite all my better instincts, I can't help feeling sorry for. However, from my perspective the greatest facet of The Office's storyline comes from the other two central characters, namely Tim Canterbury (Martin Freeman) and Dawn Tinsley (Lucy Davis). Their unspoken feelings for one another, played out through little more than furtive glances, form one of the most enthralling and well observed on-screen romances of recent times.
The Office tracks the lives of the four main characters, but their stories are played out in an environment of superb supporting actors, who bring an air of authenticity to the program. Most notable of these are Chris Finch (Ralph Ineson) as the loud-mouthed bully, and the unsurnamed accountant Keith (Ewen Macintosh) who manages to provide a lot of comedy despite only having about 10 words to say across both series'.
The DVD includes some pretty good extra material with some deleted scenes, some of which are very funny, and were - according to Ricky Gervais - removed because they were too much like a traditional sitcom. The deleted scene where Gareth squirts lemon juice in a girl's eye could have ranked alongside Only Fools and Horses' funniest moments.
I could happily extol the virtues of the office for hours, but the only way you'll know for sure is by watching it. All I ask is that you give it a chance. I didn't like it when I first saw it, but I was made to watch it again and I haven't looked back. Now I'm just waiting for the two feature length Christmas specials to come out on DVD. If any of you Office fans missed them (shame on you!) they were brilliant and concluded the story perfectly (I nearly shed a tear!).
on 24 February 2004
I give this DVD/VHS series 10/10
It feels both inaccurate and inadequate to describe The Office as a comedy. On a superficial level, it disdains all the conventions of television sitcoms: there are no punch lines, no jokes, no laugh tracks, and no cute happy endings. More profoundly, it's not what we're used to thinking of as funny. Most of the fervently devoted fan base watched with a discomfortingly thrilling combination of identification and mortification. The paradox is that its best moments are almost physically unwatchable.
Set in the offices of a fictional British paper merchant, The Office is filmed in the style of a reality television show. The writing is subtle and deft, the acting wonderful, and the characters beautifully drawn: the cadaverous team leader Gareth (Mackenzie Crook); the monstrous sales rep, Chris Finch (Ralph Ineson); and the decent but long-suffering everyman Tim (Martin Freeman), whose ambition and imagination have been crushed out of him by the banality of the life he dreams uselessly of escaping. The show is stolen, as it was intended to be, by insufferable office manager David Brent, played by codirector-cowriter Ricky Gervais. Brent will become a name as emblematic for a particular kind of British grotesque as Basil Fawlty, but he is a deeper character. Fawlty is an exaggeration of reality, and therefore a safely comic figure. Brent is as appalling as only reality can be.
on 12 July 2016
One of the greatest shows to ever grace the TV.

It is utter genius and captures the mundanity of office life in the most touching and funny way .

I still rate some of the moments in the box some of my all time funny tv moments
on 10 April 2014
Beware of imitations and remakes: this is the real deal, marked by subtle dialogue and characterization. It's not playing to the laugh out loud crowd, but slowly builds interesting characters. The comedy emerges from the tragic, pathetic situation of all of them, which any office/corporate worker will all too easily recognize. At heart all are, as we are, utterly lonely.
on 23 May 2014
OMG when the Office was first on TV I couldn't get in to it so I missed a few of the 1st series. What a shame because the 2nd was so so funny. Now ?I can watch all of them and see any extras that we're not on TV. Fantastic.
on 30 December 2012
This has become a modern comedy classic. Sometimes painful to watch, Ricky Gervais scores 5/5 for each episode of his series, documenting the ups and downs of office life in this fictional fly on the wall comedy.
on 26 July 2004
The reason i'm writing this is because of an earlier review. Sarah_Marg must be a joker to give such an amazing piece or work 1 star.
on 12 January 2012
I'd been told by friends to watch The Office. I'd missed it when it was broadcast on TV. They were right. The whole series is class. I loved it. I bought series 1 and 2 for around a fiver. Once I watched them I knew that the Christmas specials were an integral part of the package. I found the specials for £2.99 on Amazon. Do Tim and Dawn get together? You need to watch the specials to know. Gervais and Merchant are class. People bandy round the term 'genius' but it might be appropriate for those chaps. I absolutely loved The Office and the recently aired Life Is Short. If you missed it - find it!
on 6 August 2012
My previous office DVDs are scratched and well worn so I was delighted when I was able to get this boxed set of both series. A great value for money set and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the episodes again. All in all fab!!!!
on 16 June 2012
Very funny and enjoyable great for cheering you up! I got it as im so into the American Office and wanted to remember how the British office was, i wasn't disappointed it was as funny as remembered!!!!