Format: Audio CD|Change

The Temperance Seven play calming, relaxing music with an affectionate and nostalgic appeal, plus an element of fun. The band specializes in 1920s and 1930s style jazz with its musicians attired in evening dress, sometimes including spats, to reflect the period - but it was late 1950s and 1960s when the Temperance Seven became popular and famous. Their first hit is the opening track of this CD: `You're Driving Me Crazy', There are a further 24 tracks including their signature tune: `Pasadena', and other memorable hits as `Sugar', `Everybody Loves My Baby', `Ain't She Sweet', `My Blue Heaven' etc. The choice of numbers is inspired with other favourites probably being `Dinah', `The Shake' and `Vo Do Do Dee O Blues', and the CD truly deserves `The Very Best Of' in its title. From memory I think the only one missing is `That's My Weakness Now'.

In addition to expected jazz band instruments of trumpet, trombone, clarinet, saxophone etc. the Temperance Seven relied on a sousaphone for a thumping bass together with megaphone, whistles, spoons etc. to add humour to what are carefully choreographed numbers played in impeccable manner. Over the years there were personnel changes yet the style and delivery continued - as well as their eccentric nature. It is generally accepted how with 9 members the Temperance Seven is `one over the eight' but this suggests `intemperance' and correctly it is `one under the eight' to stress `temperance'. On this CD the structuring displays sobriety with the band performing magnificently in ensemble, and also indicates all members as capable virtuosos. The Temperance Seven clearly enjoyed their performances of good time music to produce the very best of smooth and sentimental sounds and bring back fond memories. A great 5-star album.
22 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 September 2011
I have always been a fan of The Temperance Seven. While they maintained the illusion of aloof detachment, the audience would leave with the aching jaw you get from continuously smiling. Even when listening alone I am tempted to turn to an imaginary member of an audience to share the positive communnal feeling generated by their music.

I am also a lifelong hi-fi buff and I have been guilty of discarding many wonderful musical performances because of the frustration I experience with poor production, distortion, etc., all of which become more noticeable when using hi quality equipment in the search for a lifelike listening experiences.

Despite this I hung on to my early Temperance Seven recordings, some of which were in Mono. Others had occasional distortion where microphones or recording media lacked the headroom to cope with the wide dynamic range created by such a diverse ensemble.

Now, joy of joys ... The Best of The Temperance Seven ! ... This is not only a generous collection of tracks, deserving of the title, it is also brilliantly remastered to remove all the irritating distortions.

The digital remastering recreates a wide soundstage with a life like dynamic range. Each instrument is clearly defined and some subtle rebalancing gives a little more prominence to the vocal and banjo. Despite the greater detail and accuracy, in my opinion, the original warmth and humour has been enhanced.

Did I say how impressed and delighted I am ?
on 28 February 2009
This is how real music is played, with fine musicians who are clearly enjoying themselves and not an electronic device in sight. The dulcet tones of Whispering Paul McDowell transport you back to another time when gentlemen wore spats, ladies carried parasols, England won at cricket and people listened to the words. And the sun always shone, of course.
Stick this on your CD player when stuck on the M25 and your woes will melt away; you'll almost forgive that idiot in the black Corsa...
on 7 November 2013
There was something about this band that captured a need in a teenager of the early sixties to engage with real music. I loved rock and roll and even went on to be in a group in the mid sixties. However, Whispering Paul Mc Dowell and the Temperance Seven were a brief interlude in my late schooldays that are still cherished.
The 45's I listened to were lost eons ago and this reissue is pure time travel back to an innocent era. Check it out (if you are old enough), it's sure to bring a smile to your face and put you in a mellow mood.
on 4 November 2011
My wife and I first met 50 years ago on Halloween Night at a dance with the Temperance Seven as the dance band so to us it has great memories for us both and 5 stars
on 9 February 2011
If you are having a noisy party, particularly Twenties fancy dress or theme, or you just want to listen to something that doesn't have a serious note in it, then this is a good place to start. Read the jacket or audition the tunes and be sure of what you are buying, but if you agree, you won't be sorry, either. Apart from that, how many albums count on a sousaphone these days? Picture a speakeasy with sawdust on the floor, spitoons in place, and a scantily clad maid on a swing attached to the ceiling and you've got it...
on 4 April 2013
A very good novelty disc,not one you would play every day,maybe,but lots of fun.They've got that quaintly naff Twenties feel off to a tee.
on 20 October 2014
This super CD is a must hear on a lovely summer's day in your garden or open-top car. It is also a must if you are feeling down in the dumps because it could lift the heaviest heart. I prefer it to my other recent purchases of Acker Bilk and Kenny Ball CDs. I am a child of the 60's but even my young granddaughter joins in with some of the funny lyrics whilst we are travelling together. If you love trad jazz, buy it, you won't be disappointed.
on 7 June 2015
Super Duper, I love upbeat music with a sense of humour (without too many lyrics) when I'm going on a longer than average drive.
This album really fits the bill and takes me back to the 60s and it was my introduction to pre WW2 jazz.

david
on 27 December 2013
My favourite group of the 60s when others were following the Beatles. All the hits are there. What did the TS and the Fab 4 have in common?? - they were both recorded by George Martin on the Parlophone label...