5.0 out of 5 stars gilbertfan
My CD arrived this morning and I sat and listened straight away.
All the memories of my youth came back and even a few surprises. It's true that the words just come flooding back.Matrimony will always be a favourite as will a lot of the early records,Alone Again,We will,Get Down etc.What a great idea to release all my favourites(well mostly all)on one disc-
Good...
Published on 10 April 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars A very guilty pleasure.
As far as I'm concerned, this is really half an album. In fact, if it was on vinyl and ended with track 11,Who Was It,and swapped Get Down for a track from Himself it'd be a very good "best of" and easily worthy of 4 stars.But it isn't, and frankly there's an awful lot of filler here, and a couple of tracks that are simply awful.

Shame really, because Nothing...
Published on 11 Oct 2006 by Johnnybluetime

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars gilbertfan, 10 April 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Berry Vest of Gilbert O'Sullivan (Audio CD)
My CD arrived this morning and I sat and listened straight away.
Good luck to Gilbert,keep writing in your own style and give us lyrics to think about-Thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars The Berry Vest of Moods, 20 Sep 2005
Mr. Albert H. Freer (bedford, bedfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Berry Vest of Gilbert O'Sullivan (Audio CD)
I am a big fan from the single Nothing Rhymed onwards and had to buy each single for the fantastic b sides aswell as the a sides. I was not aware of all the albums Ray had produced since What's in a kiss era. This compilation was a revisit and now I must get some of the back catalogue as it is that good.The tragic sadness of Alone Again Naturally and Why oh Why are caught perfectly alongside happier songs with clever lyrics, which is why I admire this lyricist so much.A real underrated UK talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trip down memory lane and back, 24 Mar 2004
This review is from: The Berry Vest of Gilbert O'Sullivan (Audio CD)
As soon as I heard Gilbert being interviewed on the radio this week about this album I knew I had to get it ... immediately!
Pretty much every track is a sing alonger .. and I remember most of the words from my youth. This is a real feel good album. I have spent most of the afternoon dancing and singing round the house with an inane grin on my face. Apart from thinking that I should be certified, the children have all enjoyed the good mood that this CD has put me in and in self defence are joining in! Hurrah for Gilbert! Press order without delay and join me in Happyland.

4.0 out of 5 stars Teenage memories, 28 Mar 2004
Ann S Robson (Hexham, Northumberland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Berry Vest of Gilbert O'Sullivan (Audio CD)
If you remember that strange looking guy in old-fashioned skinheady type clothes, who played the piano and sung some great songs, this is the CD for you.
It brought back many happy memories and I still think many of his songs Nothing Rhymed, Matrimony etc are underrated. The one track I was never keen on was the big hit Claire, and I have to say my opinion on this one hasn't changed.
Overall a good buy and some great songs - still!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gilbert O'Sullivan fans take note ..., 1 Jun 2010
ChrisC (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Berry Vest of Gilbert O'Sullivan (Audio CD)
This excellent CD with all his hits can be bought for a fraction of the price direct from his website's store.

3.0 out of 5 stars A very guilty pleasure., 11 Oct 2006
Johnnybluetime - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Berry Vest of Gilbert O'Sullivan (Audio CD)

Shame really, because Nothing Rhymed,Alone Again,Clair and We Will (unneccasarily remixed, albeit by Gus Dudgeon) are all classics of a peculiarly English strain of pop music that includes music hall,Paul McCartney and modern day examples like The Divine Comedy and The Beautiful South. Unfortunately, these tracks are augmented by several absolute clunkers;the disco remix of Ooh Baby is unbelievably bad,likewise So What and Two's Company.When you add in the duet with Peggy Lee,which is a show tune and completely out of synch with anything else here,suddenly 6.00 seems about the right price for this cd rather than a bargain.

Having said that,there are a couple of later tracks,Doesn't It Make You Sick and What's It All Supposed To Mean, that are pretty good and the bonus track Mr Moody's Garden is enjoyable.But,as far as I'm concerned,this is one of those albums I'm going to have to program the cd player for,because out of 21 tracks I can only imagine wanting to listen to 13.Even so,there are four stone classics on here that I found myself singing along to despite the fact that I wasn't even aware that I knew the words.

There's a great Cliffordf T Ward compilation that concentrates on the early albums and singles.It's a shame they haven't done the same here,because the later stuff is definitely weaker,and in some cases just plain bloody awful.Maybe they should release a best of from 1971-1974,including a few album tracks rather than dire and pointless remixes of singles.Sometimes artists have to face the fact that they peaked early - not everyone's The Beatles or Dylan -and release a best of the early years for nostalgia buffs and another one for their hardcore fans who've followed them through the years.Because,in my opinion,tracks like So What can only detract from GOS reputation.

Not bad,but overall a missed opportunity.And do me a favour - don't tell my mates I bought this...

5.0 out of 5 stars Gilbert - At last back in the UK charts, 23 Mar 2004
Michael Riedl "mrsas" (Oslo, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Berry Vest of Gilbert O'Sullivan (Audio CD)
Years have gone by, but finally Gilbert O'Sullivan is back on the UK albums chart with this great collection of songs.
All the great songs are included: Clair, Alone Again (Naturally), Why oh why oh why and the under-rated What's in a kiss.
The only track on this album that could have been left out is the horrible version of 'Ooh baby'.
Great to see that one of the finest album tracks 'Who was it' is included.
I am still waiting for a come-back with new material.
M.

4.0 out of 5 stars a play on words but play it you must, 24 Mar 2004
This review is from: The Berry Vest of Gilbert O'Sullivan (Audio CD)
Being of an age that remembers Clair and Alone Again not to mention Ooh Wakka I just had to get this album.
Once playing it I realized that all the songs on it had an effect on everyone, a smile, a quizzicle look, but there was one thing I am certain of, and that was that the lyrics were known by all.
If you want an album that is full of fun, yet take you back to fond memories of the things you were doing way back when the The Berry Vest of is going to fullfil all your expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BERRY VEST CD, 16 April 2012
Alexander Bryce (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Berry Vest of Gilbert O'Sullivan (Audio CD)
What a wordsmith, what a musician , what a singer. This album shows beautifully Gilbert's range as a writer and performer. All his old hits are here plus a few very listenable compositions which were new to me. If new to Gilbert O'Sullivan then this is a good place to start. If, like me, an old fan then this album brings together much of his best work.

P.S. the sleeve notes give a lot of interesting information and are well worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars King of the early 70's tearjerker!, 18 Mar 2004
This review is from: The Berry Vest of Gilbert O'Sullivan (Audio CD)
First appearing on top of the pops in a flat cap portraying an early 20's Northern image,Irish born and Wiltshire bred Raymond O'Sullivan certainly knew how to write a good tune racking up hits throughout the early 70's.
You'll be pleased to know in this collection they are all here ...the poignant ("Nothing Rhymed","Alone Again Naturally" and "Why Oh Why Oh Why")the deeply hummable("Matrimony" and "Ooh Wakka Doo Wakka Day") the romantic ("Ooh Baby" and "Happiness Is Me And You")and of course his 2 number ones - "Get Down" an early disco ode to his dog and "Clair" the love song to his niece.
As well as this you get the early 80's made for Valentine's Day "What's In A Kiss", 5 more recent songs - all of which hold up well,apart from the Peggy Lee duet which perhaps would be best suited to a stage musical rather than a greatest hits collection - and a charming 1969 bonus track where he again puts on his Northern turn of the century guise.
A recommended purchase for the lover of early 70's Gilbert.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Berry Vest of Gilbert O'Sullivan
The Berry Vest of Gilbert O'Sullivan by Gilbert O'Sullivan (Audio CD - 2004)