Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 June 2007
I bought this ten years ago, and although it has been repackaged many times since it is still one of the CDs I return to again and again, even though I have a collection of over 2000 CDs. The playing is simply outstanding - I challenge anyone to listen to it and not be overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of the more lyrical movements and the danceable joy of the more lively movements. The ensemble integration is an absolutely joy to behold - the ritardandos are meticulously together, and the stylish decoration of lines by Simon Standage and Micaela Comberti are quite beautiful. The finesse of the continuo playing is dazzling - well the reputation of Trevor Pinnock (outstanding director and harpsichordist) and Jaap ter Linden (violoncello) speak for themselves.

This is simply one of the finest Baroque discs available (no I do not work for the record company or The English Concert) - I'm just a humble admirer of some of the finest Baroque playing put to disc. Please buy it - your life will be much better for it.
on 25 January 2010
Before I bought these CD's I had only come across No.1 and No.8 before.Now I know them all, I have played them many times. I can only describe these performances as electrifying. Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert bring such clarity and energy to the music, you will not want to put the CD down.If you only buy one CD this year make sure it is this one.You are sure to be as thrilled as I was.
on 21 September 2010
If you need one Corelli recording, this is the one to get. Quite possibly the best baroque record I've heard. The English concert not only put on an exceptional performance but the sound quality is truly amazing and will make you stop and listen to these fantastically melodic concerti.
This is a great Baroque album of Corelli's op 6 Concerti Grossi. It won a Gramophone Awards Collection for Early Music - Baroque 1989. There have been a lot of changes in performance practice and interpretation but this is still an outstanding performance and recording. Of course I love the No. 8 in G minor 'Christmas Concerto'. It is truly inspiring. Another full concerto that I particularly enjoy is No 4 in D major. Corelli seems to have enjoyed F major since there are four concerti in F major ( Nos 2, 6, 9, 12) And in all the concertos there are things to admire whether from the soloists,or the continuo players or the main band. The English Concert with Trevor Pinnock are a class act. This is a lovely collection to own.
on 21 January 2010
I heard the theme of concerto no 8 by Corelli, which is part of this CD,on TV and began searching for this particular piece on amazon.co.uk which gave the result Corelli: 12 concerti Grossi Op 6 conducted by Niel Pinnock. It is some of the most beautifull music performed by great musicians. Well worth the price.
Carsten Groa
Denmark
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 March 2014
These award winning readings are simply stunning in terms of the excellence of the musicianship on display and the incredible sound. I only purchased these recently, previously only knowing a couple of these concerti, and I was struck by the outstanding merits of this set when it was discussed in BBC Radio 3's building a library. These are marvellous works and this is special music making of the finest order. don't hesitate.
on 21 January 2014
I thought this an excellent recording. It shows just how much later composers took from this master. The lines are clear, ensemble is terrific and the tempi seem to me to be just right. This is just the performance to lighten a cold wintry day!
on 10 May 2009
I have not had time to listen to these TWO CD's more than once but after just one session I love the overall timbre and atmosphere of the pieces.
Recording quality and performances are spot on.
on 21 February 2014
Having read the reviews of others, I decided to purchase this CD. Once I had listened to it, I too was mesmerised by the beautiful playing of this group and now consider this the best classical CD of my vast collection. You must buy it!!!!!!
on 29 June 2013
Heard on a dance program on Sky Arts tv
Loved the pieces I heard. Soundhound couldn't identify it, but a bit of googling led me to it! Well worth the search for this lovely piece