on 18 January 2007
I have not really used slow cookers in the past; I remember my parents using them when I was younger - but recently someone told me they had been given one as a wedding gift and they were raving about it so I decided to give it a whirl. I wanted to opt for a well known brand, so I went for this Crock Pot, and I wanted something big enough to be able to cook for 3 or 4 but also small enough to cook for 2, and this is perfect. It is unbelieveably easy to use, I throw a load of chicken or other meat, with veggies and potatoes in before work in the morning, turn it on low and leave it....by the time I get home I have the most amazing home cooked meal ready, and it's healthy because you don't need oil or butter or anything. I'm hooked! The unit looks great in the kitchen and is obviously really good quality. 10/10!!
on 6 May 2006
I had an original Rival crockpot which I replaced with this one just because it looked nicer. Big mistake. The lid is very lightweight and poorly made so that no seal is created and liquid, broth etc. splash out over on to the counter as it is cooking. This is compounded by the fact that the low setting is too hot and cooks everything too fast. With the loss of liquid you also get crusty edges on the stews. This is the first review I've ever written but felt since there were no reviews on the UK amazon site I should write a warning to others, something I have found extremely useful in the past. Similar reviews to mine exist on the US website and other online shops and just wish I had researched more carefully. As many reviewers elsewhere have said, Rival should recall this product.
33 comments|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 October 2006
I have never owned a slow cooker, and recently bought one of these - but in red. I love cooking with it (I cook very generous portions for two people) and have never found any of the problems mentioned in the previous review. I just throw everything for a casserole and leave it to cook for three hours. One tip is to put the meat in first so it cooks in any juices and other liquid ingredients. I just cannot believe I did not get one of these earlier. The keep warm function is useful and it does not continue to cook the food. I have left a casserole on this setting for a further 90 mins after cooking and it has kept the food to a good temperature.
on 11 December 2012
I have owned a few slow cookers in the past, all of them were made by Crock Pot. I expected the quality to be similar as those older ones (I had to give them away when I moved from the US to the UK), but have been very disappointed. I am a veteran slow cooker user, perhaps my expectations are too high.

The feel of the "chrome" surface is cheap and plasticky. It is very difficult to keep clean, and during the cooking process it gets extremely hot. Keep it well away from little hands, the outside surface will burn!

The crock has several flaws in the finish, and the lid is so lightweight that on low (when everything is merrily boiling away inside) the steam from the food lifts the lid and you eventually get an oval shaped puddle around the cooker. Obviously this product was made to a price point. A very low one.

I would never put food in to cook and leave the house for the day, like I used to be able to do, because I do not trust this slow cooker at all. The low setting is so hot that it will boil away your gravy or stewing juice if you are not vigilant. I have no idea how hot the high setting is, I've never used it. If I could give zero stars for this product I would.
on 24 January 2010
I bought this 'slow cooker' after having heard how incredibly convenient these things are, that they slowly and gently cook delicious meals over several hours. Fantastic! I even bought a big book with recipes and followed the instructions to the letter. To be on the safe side, I went by the shorter cooking time as it did say that cooking temperatures differ depending on make and model, but to my big disappointment, the meat in my casserole had completely disintegrated! Then I wanted to cook a big batch of rice pudding. Once again I went by the shortest cooking time indicated in the recipe, but when I went to check on it when it was about half an hour left, I noticed my so to say 'slow cooker' was boiling my rice pudding rather vigorously at the LOW SETTING... and already my lovely rice pudding had turned to mush and ended up in the bin.

I had thought that choosing a well-known make, renowned for their slow cookers or 'Crock Pots', that I couldn't go wrong, but I am utterly disappointed with this item. Not only was this slow cooker itself a waste of money but it has ruined all but one dish, and that one cooked in the same time as it normally cooks on the hob!

My advice: DO NOT buy it...
on 14 September 2010
This is a great crock pot while it works and nothing breaks. I am very careful in the kitchen with my stuff but yet, the lid to this crock pot has broken.
I am having a horrible time to replace it. I tried to replace the handle but no one not even the tool store could get the screw off without breaking the glass.
I have been looking all over the internet to find the exact model fit but no luck. All lids I have found are not the same size as this one.
Rival does not stock lids either.
Do yourself a favor and buy another brand or another model.
on 23 August 2012
The best slow cooker I have ever used.
Cooks food very well and keeps it warm too.
Wonderful product. Recommended.
on 23 February 2013
Bought as a replacement as interior broke and I was lost without it although I do have more than one but different sizes