Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£3.98+ £1.26 shipping

on 13 March 2004
I first heard Keane whilst listening to Jo Whiley late last year. That was the time they released This Is The Last Time (which I can safely say is even better then SOWK) since then I've seen them live twice and managed to get hold of every song they've ever released.
Somewhere Only We Know is uplifting, inspiring, soaring and wonderful. It was brilliant that they made it into number 3 with this song but to do so against Mark & Sam shows just how wrong the top 40 is these days.
It's easy to knock Keane. They're not cool or cutting edge and yes, their are comparisons to be had with Coldplay, Travis or even Tears for Fears. However Keane's music is more melodic, inspiring, tunefilled then any of these acts. They just write fine pop songs and I can promise you all that there debut album will not disappoint.
on 5 February 2004
accidentally heard this whilst surfing through the desert of bland and tuneless 'music' currently monopolising mainstream popular radio channels. Reminds me of such ethereal haunting classics as The First Picture of You by The Lotus Eaters - very English, very melodic, very soft-hearted.
Then a day later I again accidentally heard the B-side - Snowed Under. Another great track - a great pop song in its own right.
Never heard of Keane before, but if these two songs are an indication of their wider repertoire, then the album should be a classic.
on 17 February 2004
Having just read not one, but two damning reviews by the same person, I felt I had to ask the question above! In my opinion, Keane are nothing like Coldplay - I do love Coldplay but to my knowledge, they don't have a monopoly on pianos! Keane do their own thing - and do it wonderfully. The magic is in the vocals and the lush string arrangements as much as the piano.
I was eagerly awaiting the release of Somewhere Only We Know, but it was the B-sides that really astounded me. Snowed Under could be a single in its own right, Walnut Tree would make a fantastic album closer - and if these songs aren't deemed good enough for the album, well Keane have obviously got extremely high standards...!
I can't say with authority whether Keane's music is groundbreaking or not, but if it sounds this beautiful and life-affirming, frankly I don't mind! I don't think emotion in music should be limited to angst, sadness or misery. It could be just as powerful when it puts a smile on your face (no Coldplay reference intended! :o) and makes you feel happy, just like the second track on this single, declaring "I don't know why I waste my time, getting hung up about the things you say, when I open my eyes and it's a lovely day!"
As for Somewhere Only We Know being repetitive...I guess that has to do with being played to death on the radio, the fate of many wonderful songs (which is one of the reasons I hardly listen to the radio these days). Buy this single and listen to it in the context of the gorgeous B-sides, and it'll make sense. Listen to Keane's first two singles, Everybody's Changing and This Is The Last Time, or the live tracks on the band's website and I reckon you won't be able to resist. The album cannot come soon enough!
Tom Chaplin's voice is pure and full of emotion, and works brilliantly on these simple, beautiful songs. Keane are young and enthusiastic - comparisons with the jaded and the weary are not the point. We all need to forget about our troubles and let ourselves be enchanted sometimes.
on 6 March 2004
Bought this single solely on the recommendations of friends and was pleasantly surprised. The first time I heard it I wasn't particularly impressed but the more you listen the more you start to see how Keane stands out from the other drivel you hear nowadays. B-side Snowed Under is possibly even better than the single Somewhere Only We Know itself - beautiful guitar/piano driven song with great soaring confident vocals. It's a lovely day indeed!
on 9 February 2004
Destined surely to be one of this years very best singles, my only fear is that I may tire of this before its even released...thank you NME.com...ive played this almost non-stop for the last couple of days.
Looking forward to the album...
on 17 February 2004
Really soaring selection from Keane, who I first heard through Jo Whiley's show in the summer. The title track is great, but the 'b-sides' are also superb - with very impressive vocals and the songs benefitting from the deliberate lack of jangly guitars. Reminds me very much vocally of Puressence - a band who never made the impact they deserved. Hopefully Keane will continue this form into their debut album. If the b-sides are anything to go by then what they have left on the album must be brilliant.
on 16 February 2004
Following on from the limited edition breakthrough radio success of "This Is The Last Time" in October 2003, "Somewhere Only We Know" is the first single by Keane on a major label (Island), and should ensure a very high chart position because of this. The b-sides are pure class, with "Under The Walnut Tree" being every bit as good as an album track, and "Snowed Under", which is true quality and should really have been a single in itself, it is that good. On the CD also is the excellent video for the single which sees Keane playing the song set in a wood, which is fantastic, I really recommend that you see it! Taken from their debut album called "Hopes and Fears" (Released 10th May 2004), this will surely be one of the singles of the year. Keane are supporting Travis on their UK tour in March 2004, and the two bands are very similar in quality. Take elements of Travis and Coldplay, mix them together, take away the guitars and, there you have it, fresh faced Keane. And no, they weren't named after Roy or Robbie. Who needs guitars anyway when you can play like this..?
on 16 March 2004
WOW It so rare that all the tracks on a single are all as brilliant as each other. The only other single I own that does this is "you got it bad" by Ocean Colour Scene.
I have been playing this every day since it popped through my door. If the album has more of this, I can't wait.
A mini masterpiece. :-)
on 26 February 2004
I have been frantically trying to get Keane's new album and have only just found out that it is not released until May! I first had the pleasure of seeing Keane in a small venue called the Lemon Tree where they were supporting The Thrills. I must say that although The Thrills were good they were outclassed by Keane. I usually don't pay much attention to support bands unless I know of them but they caught my attention as I recognised their song 'This is the last time'. They perform with such passion and energy. I wait with baited breath for them to tour again when the new album comes out.
on 3 February 2004
This is a pop song in the best tradition- haunting, melodic, rousing and just plain entertaining. It is simple and beautiful, makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Keane's 1st release on a major label. We are not worthy!