5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, duckie
Published on 14 Mar 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Half an excellent album!
When I first heard the first half of this album I thought.. wow.. when I heard the second half I thought.. erm.. did I miss something? It really is (Brian) an album of 2 halves and if you bought it on a vinyl LP you could easily carve your name into side 2, just play side one and not miss much. All the singles are packed into the superb 4 opening tracks, and of the...
Published on 4 April 2005 by J. Crampton

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, duckie, 14 Mar 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Scissor Sisters (Audio CD)
On the strength of Comfortably Numb, I was going to boycot this album. Fortunately for me, I heard it played in it's entirety while chained to the chair in my hair salon and promptly ran out and bought it - have been playing it ad nauseum ever since. It is a fantastic collection of danceable tracks whatever your mood, be it for 70's rock or electro-pop, and the lyrics take some beating. Feel good factor is high, but there are some gorgeous ballads on it as well. Can't come quickly enough and Return to Oz have been set to repeat on my cd player! They have a swiftly expanding fan base which is well deserved, as they provide a welcome change to the cardboard copies that are the boy-and-girl bands of the moment. Do yourself a favour and BUY THIS ALBUM!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the Past, Present and Future, 12 Feb 2004
This review is from: Scissor Sisters (Audio CD)
Looking at the Sisters, apart from being at the cutting edge of independent fashion today (as dictated predominantly by the gay scene), it reminds me of the 80's new romantic era... accentuated by these songs of 70's and 80's styles. It's everything you've read before - Elton John ('Take Your Mama Out' and 'Mary'), David Bowie ('Return To Oz'), Bee Gees ('Comfortably Numb'), Pet Shop Boys ('It Cant Come Quickly Enough') all mixed up with a little hint of Michael Jackson's now famous "shamon" ('Laura').
There is an incredible range of vocal and musical styles. Each song is different - and it really does sound like a compilation of different bands from different eras (with today's glossy production techniques).
The thing is this: It's not done for a quick camp laugh, nor to parody the obvious influences.
The amazing thing is this: It works. Brilliantly.
This work is a homage to artists when they were at the top of their game. It's a band that truly love the past and don't think it's ready to be forgotten.
One of the most original, stylish, surprising, funny, moving records for some time. I really didn't think I'd like this album as much as I do. It was an impulse purchase solely on hearing 'Comfortably Numb' (which I didn't like AT ALL the first time I heard it, but took over my head by stealth) and it was the best buy I've made in... well, a week or two (Snow Patrol's album also was a great purchase), but that's not the point! This is a wonderful album that will blow you away.
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A phenomenal debut, 23 Dec 2004
Mr. T. Speller "tomtedspeller" (London, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scissor Sisters (Audio CD)
I have to say, I had never heard of them before this year, but having being told to try out this album, I have not been disappointed! Without doubt, I would say this is probably the best album of 2004(against very strong opposition like Maroon 5, U2 and Franz Ferdinand), and I would go further and say this is one of the best debut albums of all time, as the album itself is really phenomenal. I really don't think there is a weak track at all, every single song stands out well and I can see this going down as a classic.
I think the main thing, that has been pointed out by just about everybody, is that the Scissor Sisters sound bears an uncanny resemblance to many classic 70s and 80s artists. Certainly that struck me first time I heard their songs on the radio and on the CD player, I definitely thought of Elton John, Bee Gees, Pink Floyd, Pet Shop Boys, David Bowie, Roxy Music, Supertramp and late 70s disco. Especially Elton John, since the lead singer's delivery is reminiscent of Elton John in the 70s, and the Bee Gees, due to the skilful use of counter-tenor falsetto throughout(not least on "Comfortably Numb" where they turn a classic Floyd song into a pulsating disco number with Bee Gees harmonies and falsettos). Yet this album definitely has a modern feel to it, whilst it sounds like a tribute to the 70s, it sounds distinctly 2004 too, "Laura" definitely feels like Maroon 5's "This Love", and "Mary" like Coldplay. I think its main appeal is that it is a blast from the past, yet is distinctly new Millennium. It is camp, foot-stomping retro, brought home into an atmosphere with which we are comfortable.
This is essentially just a fun album to listen to, and certainly one of the most infectious, I mean who cannot be charmed by the retro-sounding riffs and stomps? Buy this and you will find that this CD stays on permanent rotation in your car-stereos and your hifi systems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sister Lovers, 15 May 2004
This review is from: Scissor Sisters (Audio CD)
Seldom can there have been an album of such diversity as this one, from New York glam-throwbacks the Scissor Sisters. This can be viewed as both a strength and a weakness, and no doubt the multi-genre approach will confuse some whilst appealing to others. The album kicks off with the funky "Laura", and is followed by the energetic radio-friendly "Take Your Mama". This is classic early era Elton John along the lines of "Take Me To The Pilot", and when Jake Shears launches into the falsetto chorus you could be forgiven for thinking that Elton himself is making an appearance on vocals. Then, just when you think you know where you stand with the album, the Sisters' musical boundaries are completely redefined with the gay-disco-inspired reworking of Pink Floyd's immortal "Comfortably Numb". Your view of this one will probably depend on how highly you regard the original, but even the most die-hard Floyd fans must admit that it's kinda catchy. "Mary" is a classic slow rocker built around a deep swelling piano line, with echoes of Spandeau Ballet thrown in just to further the confusion. "Tits On The Radio" with its wry lyrics and seventies disco setting is guaranteed to make you smile, and "Music Is the Victim" sounds like the Stones fused with a heavy dose of Saturday Night Fever. And just when you thought there was nothing left to give, you are treated to the ambitious "Return To Oz". With disarmingly obscure lyrics and eerie melodies the song builds into a compelling finale, and though you have no idea what they are singing about, somehow it doesn't really matter. Either something for everyone, or an album too diverse for the average music fan. But therein lies the beauty. Crazy, camp, colourful, and well worth adding to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dancetastic, 1 Feb 2007
This review is from: Scissor Sisters (Audio CD)
I love the Scissor Sisters and I LOVE this album. It's a great mix of poppy tunes with disco tunes that will make any party a great place to be.

All these songs are songs you can sing along to and have a little boogie to on the dance floor.

They are well sung, well played and well written and everyone should have a copy of this album in their CD collection.

There are songs better than others on this album but they are all great fun and there isn't any tracks you would want to skip although there is a couple of songs on here that you need to listen to a few times to enjoy more.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best songs the Beegees never wrote, 25 May 2004
This review is from: Scissor Sisters (Audio CD)
I was a bit dubious about this album because its apparently the new 'in-sound' from new york, so I thought it wouldn't really last me very long before I took it back, but I have to say I'm impressed. The Scissor Sisters are, at long last, a band who can appeal to all sorts of different people (hence chart positions presumably), who have their own original and creative sound, and are actually really talented! The infectious melody and brilliant lyrics of rock tunes like Take Your Mama, Lovers in the Backseat and Return To Oz, blends well with the poptastic gay club style tracks like Laura and Pink Floyd cover Comfortably Numb. Not really a weak track on the album, and each song is just as fun to listen to as the last. It's not often a critically acclaimed band actually surpasses expectation, but the Scissor Sisters have made an exceptional debut which will hopefully continue to develop as they recieve the acclaim they deserve.
I would also recommend getting the special edition cd because it includes two extra tracks (and a crazy introduction by singer Ana Matronic) that are both essential songs, particularly The Skins, which is a hot slice of funky disco. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it. get it, 9 Jun 2004
This review is from: Scissor Sisters (Audio CD)
Like most people the first I heard of the Scissor sisters was their cover of pink floyds Comfortably numb and personally I thought that the Scissor sisters version is better. I decided to buy the album of the back of that single and have not regretted it since. The 11 main tracks are all fantastic although a couple can take a few listens to get you hooked but the real surprise is the two awesome bonus tracks.
1) Laura- This is funky, cool and stylish and quickly gets you hooked. 10/10
2) Take your mama- Lets face it. What other band has a song about getting your mum pissed and taking her to a gay bar? To add to that the song is brilliant and insanely catchy 10/10
3) Comfortably Numb- Surprisingly a bit different to the rest of the album but still one of the best on there 10/10
4) Mary- Although a lot of people think this track is a standout track it doesn't quite do it for me. A slow and haunting ballad. 6/10
5)Lovers in the backseat- Another slow track that doesn't get me hooked like the rest of the album and a track I often find myself skipping 5/10
6)T*ts on the radio- A return to the upbeat music although not quite as good as the first three tracks but better than tracks 4 and 5. 7/10
7)Filthy/gorgeous- Ana Matronic takes lead vocals on this over the top fun disco style track and the track that returns the album to superb status 9/10
8)Music is the victim- This is a track that grabs you instantly with a funky intro and catchy lyrics. I think this track is one of the most openly gay songs on the album other than take your mama. 10/10
9) Better luck- I love this track. It may have weird lyrics but it sounds like a funky rock ballad and it hooked me immediately 10/10
10)Can't come quickly enough- Initially I did not like this track but after a few listens I love it and sometimes I repeat this track a couple of times. This track is probably the only other track which has a similar sound to comfortably numb 10/10
11) Return to Oz- At first you think that this track is weird but once you get over the weird lyrics this track reveals itself to be deep and absorbing 10/10
13) The skins- This track picks you up and doesn't put you down. This track is upbeat and has cool lyrics 10/10
14) Get it, get it- This is another track that grabs you instantly and you'll love it by the end of the first listen 10/10
Put simply this is the best debut album I have heard in a long time. A lot of the tracks have a mixture of falsetto voices and normal singing but the scissor sistetrs carry this off easily and most importantly sound fresh and new while incorporating 60's, 70's influence and taking their lead from Elton John and the Begees. Whatever you do try this out!

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say..., 7 Jan 2005
This review is from: Scissor Sisters (Audio CD)
To be honest I dont normally buy albums! And I dont think I have actually bought one for about 3 years!! When I first heard Scissor Sisters first releases; Comfortably Numb, Take Your Mama Out, Laura and Mary I have to say I was seriously impressed, so I actually bought the album, cos i thought they deserve the money that we pay for the album!! This is the best music I have heard in years and I just love em!! The new release of Filthy/Gorgeous is one of my fave songs on the album!
Fair play if you dont like their first releases then im thinking you're not going to like the rest of the album! But if you're like me and you do then I would seriously recomend this album, it will probabaly be the best album you'll have bought in a long time!
And if you're from out of space or something and have never heard their music, but have heard the rave reviews about them, then just try it!! What have you got to lose?

5.0 out of 5 stars At last something fresh., 10 Feb 2005
This review is from: Scissor Sisters (Audio CD)
After hearing their first single I waited with baited breath for their album to hit the shores and I can say that without a doubt that the Scissor Sisters have pumped something new, fresh and exciting into the pop scene. The whole album will have your feet tapping and heading shaking. There is not a a poor track on this album. If your going to buy one album this year make sure it's this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Important Album of the Year, 31 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Scissor Sisters (Audio CD)
I cannot stress how important this album is. I will firstly let you know, that, other than the Scissor Sisters, i usually listen to metal. Yes, Metal. Yet, i now find myself dancing around the house, with 70's style dico blaring out of my speakers. Why? Because this album is so fantastic! From the moment it hits your ears, you cannot help but be caught up with the catchy beats, and the wonderful vocals of Mr Shears and Ms Matronic, and catchy riffage. There is such a range of music on this album, from the hartfelt ballad, Mary, to a completely altered version of Pink Floyds Comfortably Numb, which has been made the scissor sistters own, now a catchy disco anthem.
It does not matter what music you listen to, or even if you usually listen to music at all. Everyone should own a copy of this brilliant debut. Bring on album number 2!

Scissor Sisters
Scissor Sisters by Scissor Sisters (Audio CD - 2004)