5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent disc, 14 Nov 2013
enthusiast "enthusiast" (sussex, uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Berg & Britten: Violin Concertos (Audio CD)
I don't generally write reviews until I have lived with a recording for a while: I never know if a first love will cool or an initial liking will blossom or deepen. This one is one I like all the more each time I listen to it. I've had it for three months and have listened to it perhaps 20 times. That in itself shows how stimulating and enjoyable I find it because I buy a lot of CDs and don't always listen to them more than a few times in the first months of owning them.

Britten's own recording with Marc Lubotsky of his early Violin Concerto is attractive and very lyrical but is rather a low voltage affair. Vengerov tried to present it as a larger work but his account was merely prosaic and lacked magic. Hope's account convinces, where Vengerov failed, that the work is a major Violin Concerto. With Paul Watkins as an equal partner he presents a powerful work - they are strong but never neglect the dreamy side - and much as I have loved the Lubotsky/Britten recording I have no doubt that Hope and Watkins give us a much greater account of the work. Hope's tone is not as rich as many violinists but here he makes this work for him, playing with rigour and robustness. Hope's account is surely a leading recommendation for the Britten and seems more keenly focused and alive than the otherwise even more powerful account by the great Frank Peter Zimmermann.

Hope also presents a very strong coupling and does so by giving us a very distinctive and first class account of a much recorded work. Of course, we have long known that the Berg Concerto is a masterpiece and there have been many excellent recordings of it. Often these have showcased the passionate neo-romantic side of the work but sometimes they have been cooler. Both approaches can work but I find Hope's as convincing as any. Where Faust in her recent recording with Abbado is wildly passionate and romantic - her's is a very powerful reading - Hope is passionate, beautiful and unashamedly a modernist. Again there is a rigor to the playing that ensures coherence and communication and there is a beauty here that is very modern.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking beauty, 26 Sep 2007
This review is from: Berg & Britten: Violin Concertos (Audio CD)
Bought this after hearing the Britten on BBC Radio 3, and I wasn't disappointed. However, I found myself listening more and more to the Berg. Hope's playing is wonderfully judged, and he is justly earning himself a great reputation. I can't fault the orchestra either. It's great to hear the influence of Berg's masterpiece on the young Britten, and I will definitely be keeping an eye out for Hope's future work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine recording, 2 Jan 2014
Philip Rundall (Cambridge U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Berg & Britten: Violin Concertos (Audio CD)
I heard the Britten concerto from this disc recently at a friend's house and loved both the music and the quality of this performance. I ordered the cd next day and found that I also liked the Berg, which was new to me. The disc is still not installed on the shelf as it remains on a table with the little pile that get regularly played ......

5.0 out of 5 stars The Inspiration of Daniel Hope, 7 Mar 2004
This review is from: Berg & Britten: Violin Concertos (Audio CD)
This collection of violin concertos is of the highest standard, an inspirational album of hope, sorrow and mellow love. Daniel does not only play the strings of his violin but he plays the strings of any appreciative listeners heart. This deeply emotional album has deffinately got a hold on me, how about you?

ARRAY(0xb6da4ea0)

Berg & Britten: Violin Concertos
Berg & Britten: Violin Concertos by Daniel Hope (Audio CD - 2004)