5.0 out of 5 stars excellent music and a good film
The Jazz Singer takes the wonderfull music of Niel Diamond and puts it to a very good script. I remember watching this when i was a kid and i have been a fan of niel diamond since. I got this recently and showed my wife it who had never seen it and wasnt a fan of niel diamond, guess what? she is now a fan of niel diamond and so is my 12 year old daughter who has...
Published on 24 Feb 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars I Liked the film but the presentation is terrible!
I bought the Jazz Singer DVD in Dublin a few days ago it's a hoary old cult classic with a very naturalistic performance from Neil Diamond in the title role coupled with some cracking tunes. I was also happy to note that it was riding high in the Top 30…great stuff for a movie almost 25 years old that wasn’t a commercial success on its initial release. But I...
Published on 20 April 2004 by Eamon McGrane

3.0 out of 5 stars The Jazz Singer - Review, 30 Jun 2011
M. Norris (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
Its Neil Diamond, so your only going to buy this if your a Diamond fan, or as a gift for a fan like i did.
Still, its a good film if your not fan.

The only thing i have bad to say against it was the price you have to pay. I was hoping to find this in the under bargain bin but no such luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Sep 2014
great songs

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 July 2014
Very good

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 17 Aug 2014
B. pett (london uk) - See all my reviews
V good

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 30 July 2014
This review is from: The Jazz Singer [DVD] [1981] (DVD)
okay

1.0 out of 5 stars The Jazz Singer, 19 Nov 2010
Disappointed again as the dvd did not work on my set! it looked as though it should have been compatible with region 2 but it was not so am again having to get a refund. I really enjoyed this film (and had it as a video) and would like it as a DVD but not to be!

1.0 out of 5 stars I will never get those lost hours back., 23 Feb 2008
This review is from: The Jazz Singer [DVD] (DVD)
This is without doubt the WORST film ever made (excepting Perfume, which is beyond comment). It is also offensive inasmuch as Diamond, a dreadful singer of dreadful songs, demonstrates how he, a white 'boy' (he's actually quite old) shows black people how to groove ... by blacking-up. Further, his acting skills seem to be limited to putting on this puppy-dog face, tilting his head to the side, whilst fixing these 'sincere' eyes on which ever unfortunate fool is on screen at the same time.

Olivier's representation of a Jew is appaling as well, all 'Oy vay!' and wringing hands. It's as if Diamond had managed to totally bypass the social developments of the Twentieth Century.

In all, it made me want to hit myself in the face. I watched it anyway and will regret those lost hours on my death bed, I am sure.

Do not watch this movie, if you like art, film, acting, and so on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Corny beyond belief!, 5 Sep 2007
B. Cartmell - See all my reviews
Point 1 This film contains NO JAZZ
Point 2 How this film has remained in circulation is beyond question. Perhaps for comedy value!
Point 3 Neil Diamond (is that his real name??) seems to have a misguided ego that is not rooted in reality.
Point 4 A small area of consolation is the party scene - I have been unfortunate in life to have never witnessed a party like it!
Point 5 From this moment on, the cheese hits maximum strength and takes you on a roller coaster of cringing and embarassment

One the plus side, my girlfriend thoroughly enjoyed watching me squirm at my poor film selection!

2.0 out of 5 stars Love on the Rocks - or is it this film., 5 Feb 2001
By A Customer
A slow film that didn't captivate this viewer. The negatives were the plot and the acting. So why have I given it a two star rating and not lower. Well one actor was class - Laurence Olivier and some of the music was good - however, if you want to listen to music then you buy a CD.

The Jazz Singer [DVD] [1981]
The Jazz Singer [DVD] [1981] by Richard Fleischer (DVD - 2006)