1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars mind expanding.., 1 Dec 2010
P. Windridge - See all my reviews
This review is from: Classic Puppets (Audio CD)
First, let me confess that I am new to Meat Puppets. Not only that, but I was introduced to them by Nirvana. I guess that makes me a bad guy, but forgive me please.

With that out of the way, I can say this album is a delight and I'm looking forward to exploring the puppets. I've listened to it every day for the last week or so. I guess any Nirvana fan will be drawn to "Plateau" and "Lake of Fire" (yes, guilty), but there is much more on this album which I love. I think "Lost", "Swimming Ground", "On the move" are my three favourites.

The pace is varied, the singing wharbly, out of tune, the lyrics smart and the music has a country twang to it. Guitar and drums feature heavily but there is also some synth. While listening I really felt that these guys were innovators and enjoyed experimenting.

Another thing I like is the insert booklet. It was written by Derrick Bostrom, the drummer from the original lineup. Derrick is amiable and articulate in writing the brief history of the puppets. While, I'm at it, I'll mention that I was happy to discover he writes a blog bostworld and maintains a meat pups website. I found both worth a couple of hours..

Overall, this isn't a "greatest hits" or "best of" album, but more a "history of". Great for newbies like me I think. I hate giving 5 star reviews, but I think this is worth it.

Classic Puppets
Classic Puppets by Meat Puppets (Audio CD - 2006)