5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply a great album
It's very rare that I find an album which leaves me completely bowled over on first listen, but Evanescence's "Fallen" is one such release. From the punkish rock of "Going Under" to the gothic-inspired "Whisper", this album never hits a bad note. Evanescence were promoted as a Christian band during their early days and those origins are clear on tracks like "Tourniquet",...
Published on 11 May 2003 by M. A. Jancey

3.0 out of 5 stars This is reasonably good.
Evanescence are obviously a pretty talented band, the playing on this is decent, the vocals are among the best I've heard. Amy's voice seems to add to each of the songs, providing and epic sound to each track.
Published on 7 Jun 2004 by Ashley Sharp

‹ Previous | 1 2 341 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best band I've heard., 4 Jun 2003
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
I heard of Evanescence through a friend and just on the merit of 'Bring me to Life' I bought the album. It is fantastic! The thing that makes their music so heart-rending and totally addictive is their sincerity. They obviously live their music and every single word is really meant. So many teen-angst and boy bands strive to do the same thing but fail because they don't mean what they're singing. Evanescence really mean it and this is what sets them well apart from the competition.
The songs are all so different it is hard to classify them as any particular genre of rock music but tracks like Whisper, Bring Me to Life and Going Under really bring it home that that's where their roots lie. My Immortal and Hello define the clear talent of Amy Lee and the vocals soar above beautiful piano melodies throughout the album. Personally my favourite track is 'Haunted' but 'My Last Breath' and 'Whisper' come close seconds and the album is so diverse that everyone I know has a different favourite.
All I can say is that this is the best CD in my collection and I can't stop listening to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gothic greatness from Arkansas, 3 Feb 2004
Jordan Booth (Keighley, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
This album not only has great tunes but it also has very toching and personal lyrics that will appeal to any average listner. The album opens with the Nu-Metal esque 'Going Under' a stomping track in it's own right, with it's fantastic vocals and loud guitars.
The second track 'Bring Me To life' is the most outstanding song on the album opening with beautiful and etheral vocals supported by a subtle piano. The second verse brings the guitar and the song really begins to encapsulate the listner with it's female versus rapping vocals.
This album gives a fair representation of what you would expect from an American rock band at the moment but it also shows signs that they are going to be able to reach above the crowd and take their music to the next level. This is shown in songs such as the beautiful piano ballads 'Imaginary', 'My Immortal' and 'Hello' and their Goth tunes 'Tourniquet' and 'Haunted'.
The album is completed in complete style with the unforgettable 'My Last Breath' and the magnificent and grandiose track that is 'Whisper'. The album shows a definete class which has been defined down to a fine art. The fact that the album is so accomplished and complete may put many listeners off, but that let that make you think that this is just churned out Nu-Metal dirge, because it is so much more than that.
Evanescence may well not be an absolute individual band but they try to give themselves an identification that no one will be able to take from them, and this album certainly proves this, unmentioned tracks 'Everybody's Fool' and 'Taking Over Me' are equally as brilliant and fantastic as the rest of the tracks on the album and show the power that the band can posses as it shows a diversity to the vocals and shows that they are able to progress from the normal Nu-Metal tag given to most American Heavy Metal bands in this day and age.
If your looking for a female fronted Metallica then this isn't it but if your looking for a band who play genuine music and really put their soul into the music and the lyrics then you have come to the right place. The beautiful and ethereal vocals of Amy Lee are supported in greatness by the Gothic tunes belted out by Ben Moody's soaring guitar. Evanescence have been dubbed the female fronted Linkin Park because of 'Bring Me To LIfe' but that isn't a fair representation of the whole album, the album consists of a mixture of beauty and heavy metal bringing the result of a dark and moving epic.
I recommend this album to opened minded people who are not going to get bogged down by the fact the album has been well produced and a an accomplished album, if this is you then don't buy it you won't like it, if your not so narrow minded then I advise it's purchase. AN ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL ALBUM

4.0 out of 5 stars Great voice, when's she going solo?, 21 April 2004
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
This excellent album has only one fault as far as I'm concerned - Amy Lee's voice is better than the band. Too many tracks are formulaic "power chord with chick wailing over them" work. Don't get me wrong - I LIKE power chords with chicks wailing over them (I bought the album having heard it, after all), it's just that too may of these start to sound a little the same after the fifteenth or twentieth listening! But it's only on two tracks that Amy gets to use her entire vocal range without sticking mainly to a power squeal. "My Immortal" is haunting and beautiful (and a few power chords at the end are welcome on the "Band Version" on my CD as a bonus track) and in "Hello" we hear Amy's effortlessly flexible voice used to its full advantage. My Last Breath and Tourniquet/Imaginary(Tourniquet segues into Imaginary) also stand out lyrically. 4/5 overall(5/5 for Amy's voice)

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 14 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
Evanescence has been, until recently, hiding in the shadows. They have three other albums, Evanescence EP, Sound Asleep/Whisper EP, and Origin. These albums were considered rough, and very few copies of the first two albums were made.
Fallen, however, is perfect. Amy Lee's voice is probably the most stunning voice you will ever hear, along with Miss Aguilera's in my opinion. Here are some reviews of each song on Fallen.
1. Going Under: A brilliant start to the album. The song goes straight into Amy's voice, with a guitar behind it. From what I remember, Going Under is about coming out of a bad relationship. This is the second single from the album.
2. Bring Me to Life: Way overplayed. The first single is one that should be remembered as Evanescence's rise to fame. Also used in the Daredevil soundtrack.
3. Everybody's Fool: A cool song, with brilliant lyrics. This song is the most recent single from Evanescence, and is about pop stars, and how they're plastic models.
4. My Immortal: Also overplayed. My Immortal is a beautiful piano ballad, which sounds better than the original one. If you have seen or heard My Immortal on the radio or the music channels, you will surprised to see there are no guitars. This is strictly a piano/strings piece (and vocals)
5. Haunted: True to its name, Haunted sounds haunting, and is probably one of the more gothic songs on the album. This is one of the best in my opinion. The guitars just make it Haunted
6. Tourniquet: Suicide written from a Christian's point of view. May creep a few people out with the lyrics 'I want to DIE!' But it's suicide. Again, Amy's voice makes this song bril!
7. Imaginary: Amazing lyrics. It's amazing how much this song has changed since it was first heard on Evanescence EP as a beautiful slow song. This starts from Tourniquet, and is simply beautiful. It sounds so dream like.
8. Taking Over Me: Starts with a piano, and is then joined by guitars. Taking Over Me is a song about love. The story is self-explanatory: the girl (I won't say Amy) is in love with someone, but they barely even notice her. Eventually, this person takes over the girl in her mind. Lovely.
9. Hello: Another piano ballad, Hello is a song about Amy's little sister. I won't go to into the story out of respect for Amy's family, but it is about death from a child's point of view. You must hear this. Amy's voice sounds haunting with the piano playing a sad tune behind her.
10. My Last Breath: How many good songs are there on this album? Plenty, but we're not talking about that. My Last Breath is, in my opinion, about death, and trying to talk to a loved one. Amy's voice makes this song amazing, as are the guitars. The lyrics are stunning. "I know you here me, I can taste it in your tears."
11 Whisper: My personal favourite, Whisper wastes no time in slamming into the guitars. I beat can always be heard. The Millennium Choir has been used in several occasions in this song, whether just humming, or singing the strong words of 'Servatis a Periculum, Servatis a Maleficum.' This translates into save us from danger, save us from evil. A must listen to.
I rate this album 100/100

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally original and stunning, 30 May 2003
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
First time I heard Evanescence was on the daredevil soundtrack, and I was impressed enough to buy this album. And I was not disappointed.
I'm sure everyone has heard the excellent (and slightly over played) 'Bring Me To Life' and the have heard the Linkin Park comparisons thrown around, and they do have a bit of a LP vibe going on with the rock rap inter play between Amy and Paul McCoy from 12 Stones. But be aware 'Bring Me To Life' is the only rock rap song on the whole album and Amy takes sole charge of singing duties on the rest of the album. This is by no means a bad thing though. But don't buy this album exspecting 11 songs all like 'Bring Me To Life', because that isn't what you get.
Evanescene really are a interesting band, they have the rare commodity of a female singer, and the lyrics are thought provoking and well written. As for the music they are very dark and gothic sounding, yet Amy's angelic vocals make the songs sound beautifully ambient at the same time. 'Fallen' seamlessly combines heavy guitar riffs, with pianos, strings and choral singing that give the music a haunting and epic feel. It sounds quite an odd combination, but it works fantastically well.
I bought this album pretty much exspecting a Linkin Park type band, but it turned out to be something very differnet and much better than i could of ever imagined. I have never heard anything like Evanescence before, they are totally original. It is a truly fantastic record with not a bad song on it. I recommend this to everyone, the songs are catchy enough to appeal to the main stream and there is also enough substance to the record for the songs to appeal to the rock crowd as well. The best album and best band I have heard in a long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm going to try and save you some money..., 26 Nov 2003
J. Pouteaux "Jules" (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
For all you Evanesescence fans out there, you all know how amazing Fallen is. It's complete, filled with emotion, great lyrics and wonderful guitars riffs. So the prospect of getting your hands on an album with an extra track will appeal.
However, this extra track is in fact 'Farther away'. In my opinion this song is one of the best they've penned (and is even better live, i promise you). But paying nearing £30 for a track is a bit steep. If you want the extra song, go and buy the single of 'Bring me to Life', which actually has 'Farther away', as it's b-side. That way you only spend £4, instead of £30!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away, 18 May 2003
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
Originally sceptical of this album due to its 'Female Linkin Park' comparisons. A comparison which underwrites 'Fallen's qualities in my humble opinion!
This truly is a brilliant album, it has bag loads of variety, and Amy Lee (the vocalist) is definately a star of the future. Her voice is at times awe-inspiring.
Lush string arrangements, solid guitar riffs with catchy hooklines (just listen to the album's more rocky moments like Tourniquet, Going Under, Whisper, and the song from the Daredevil soundtrack - Bring me to life)
The album also has two very moving laid back tracks, which really serve to showcase Amy's voice, My Immortal possibly being the album's highest point.
This is an album that will appeal to many, not just the rock fans, or those riding the crest of the nu-metal wave. Fans of iconic women rock will also find a whole stash of treats in Fallen.
Definately contender for album of the year, for replay value alone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs up!, 17 May 2006
Kurt A. Johnson (North-Central Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
In 2003, Evanescence burst on the scene with their hit album Fallen. This album beautiful shows off Evanescence's fascinating sound, with its haunting vocals and instrumentation. Overall, I found this to be a great CD that is a lot of fun to listen to on my long drives to and from work. If you want some new music that is different than the normal stuff you hear dribbling out of your radio's speaker then get this CD. I give it two thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still one of my favourites, 16 Feb 2007
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
I bought this album when it first came out in the UK and it is STILL one of my favourites ever. I love every song on the album, there isn't one I can pick out and say I don't like. The variety is great, and the contrast between Amy's beautiful voice and the piano to the heavy metal riffs playing over her is almost haunting. I prefer the band version of My Immortal to the album version, just because I feel it conveys more emotion and builds up more (it's the version that makes me cry everytime as well!). The album altogether is just well put together. The lyrics are beautiful, the music is amazing and I just find it all really inspiring. My favourite songs include Bring Me To Life, Imaginary and Whisper. They're all fantastic though. A definite MUST BUY! You will never regret it, I still listen to this album a lot.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is reasonably good., 7 Jun 2004
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
Unfortuanately, this effect is over used. Where the album falls down, is that there is too little variation between the songs, and most of it seems to be a little too slickly produced, and has a distinctly 'Designed for radio' feel about it.
Each song on its own though is good. I play this CD fairly often, but I don't think I could listen to it all the way through. To sum up, if you like the radio singles, then buy this album, you'll like it. The sound is pretty mainstream, so most pop, rock and nu-metal fans will probably get something out of it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 341 | Next ›

Fallen
Fallen by Evanescence (Audio CD - 2004)