Price:£1.00+ £2.99 shipping

I am very disappointed in this software. The pieces are beige and ivory on a beige and ivory background so that they are not particularly distinct. Whilst these colours are realistic in terms of a good quality wooden chess set, they are not user-friendly on a pc. The game gives hints on moves which have led me into habits such as sacrificing my Queen and, as there is no explanation, I am not learning much (I knew the legal moves and a few basic principles before buying it.) Also it does not seem to show at the side of the board the pieces which have been taken although there is plenty of room. Even the little set I bought for 85p for my BlackBerry does this. I have ended up by not being at all sure of my game and would definitely never recommend it. In fact I have ordered another CD Rom instead.
on 27 October 2005
This is a very good chess game for the price and I would highly recommend it. The levels are from basic to very challenging and would keep you enthralled for hours. The rules are easy to follow if you have never played chess. If you do purchase this I think you will have many hours of pleasure and enjoyment from it.
11 comment|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 August 2011
The shape of the chess pieces make it extremely awkward to play with. Prefer standard pieces and would prefer an alternative game.
on 22 March 2013
This product will only run on Windows XP or earlier. How many people are still running this? I have just wasted £7.40 unless I want to hang around a post office all day trying to return it.
on 19 September 2010
This was bought for my 89yr old father! He has the Sunday Times Bridge CD-ROM and wanted to try this one. He isn't getting on with it too well. Maybe it's him, but he says it isn't as user friendly and he is loosing interest in it. Shame!
on 11 December 2013
Bought it for my Win7 but didn't read the product description lol. Still, no worries. I use it on an old laptop that still runs XP. It's OK for beginners but I have actually beaten it on a couple of occasions.
on 20 January 2016
This is probably a good game but as it will download in windows 10 should not be sold now.
As it is only a 32 bit game and now all computer are 64 bits
on 6 August 2009
Times Chess (PC CD)
Just received the CD. Good service from Amazon, no problem there. However bought this product after reading the one review it had. Big disappointment, it will go to the back of the cupboard never to be seen again.
Have already become somewhat addicted to Chess Titans (Microsoft Vista product) and this is not nearly as good. If I could have had Chess Titans suitable for Windows XP then that would have suited me instead of playing chess on my new laptop.
Would have given it ZERO for fun and rating but I was obliged to give it at least 1 star.
on 25 December 2014
OK, Believe me if I had been dissatisfied you would know by know.
on 20 October 2014
As described. Arrived quickly. Easy to use.