5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent music, beautifully sung., 28 Jan 2007
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Josquin - Missa Hercules Dux Ferrariae / Motets (Audio CD)
I often buy CDs, play them and think - "Oh, this is lovely." Occasionally I find a recording which is just breathtaking on first hearing, and this double CD is one of those. It is simply mesmerising. Josquin's music is among the most beautiful ever composed, and here there is a selection of some of his finest work. There are deeply moving motets like "De profundis clamavi", the lament on the death of Ockeghem, some lighter and delightful chansons, a great mass setting and Josquin's overwhelmingly lovely setting of the 51st psalm "Miserere mei Deus" - one of the glories of the Renaissance, in my view. The set also includes one of my favourite pieces ever, the setting of "Lugebat David Absalon", now thought to be by Nicholas Gombert.

The Hilliard Ensemble do this great music proud. That haunting Hilliard sound is there, beautifully capturing the spirit of the music, and the standard of musicianship is superb. There are several outstanding Josquin recordings available - by the Tallis Scholars, for example - and these discs stand with the best of them. They are simply magnificent.

I know that prices vary from time to time, but as I write this the cost of this double CD is just under six pounds. Not only first-rate music, but an incredible bargain, too. Recommended in the highest possible terms.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true Flemish master., 29 Sep 2014
This review is from: Josquin - Missa Hercules Dux Ferrariae / Motets (Audio CD)
The more I listened to this double CD the more it grew on me. The music is simply breathtaking and one can understand why many consider Josquin to be the supreme Flemish composer of the Renaissance. The beauty and intense feeling conveyed in the sacred music is stunning. The motet Miserere mei Deus is the highlight for me counting amongst the most beautiful works of the Renaissance but this is by no means the only work of genius - the lament on the death of Ockeghem, Veni Sancte Spiritus and De profundis clamavi are superb pieces in their own righ as is the mass.
The lighter secular songs add variety and a whimsical touch.
If like me you are not very familar with the music of Josquin this is a good starting point presenting a wide range of some of his best compositions.
The singing is excellent and beautifully controlled.
A very valuable addition to my collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure delight, 9 May 2010
C. J. Tyler "cjtbrocco" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Josquin - Missa Hercules Dux Ferrariae / Motets (Audio CD)
Beautiful singing of unusual repertoire. Worth it for the "Miserere" alone, which is why I bought this. Some of the highest parts sound a strain for the alto, but that adds to the pleading effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublimely beautiful, 25 Aug 2014
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is an excellent collection of Josquin comprising his Missa Hercules Dux Ferrariae, one of my favourite mass settings to date, as well as a selection of sacred and secular motets and chansons. I have to confess that the songs like Il Grillo, Scaramella, and Petite Camusette are not favourites of mine, but there are some lovely pieces here: Mille Regretz, the lament for the death of Ockeghem, the immensely haunting Lugebat David Absalon, and a truly mesmerising Pater Noster.

The Hilliard Ensemble deliver the repertoire with feeling and expression, making this a stunningly beautiful two hours of sublime music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent, 17 Sep 2012
An excellent series of motets by Josquin, which has really convinced me of this composer's genius. De profundis Clamavis is really superb, one of the best new things I have listened to for years, and he even surprises you with humour in El Grillo for example, which the uninitiated such as myself may not have been expecting!

It includes quite a lot of music for the price, and all of it is very good, and some really top notch. I can't speak for the performance as I don't have any of the pieces here doubled (except the Ave Maria), but I doubt there's anything wrong with it. An excellent buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The same but different, 2 Feb 2011
E. L. Wisty "World Domination League" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Josquin - Missa Hercules Dux Ferrariae / Motets (Audio CD)
After having been a bit disappointed by the Hilliard's Ockeghem set I find myself returning to their Josquin set here, the first Josquin I bought, to remind myself just how good they can be. I hadn't listened to it for some while simply because of regularly collecting Josquin discs by various ensembles irrespective of whether or not I own the same material performed by someone else. So I have been listening to the Tallis Scholars, the Orlando Consort, the Dufay Ensemble, De Labyrintho and so on in the meantime, but I wouldn't want to be without any of these as they are all great discs in their own way - the same, but different.

Two discs in a single jewel case. Like all the sets in this Virgin Veritas series of reissues, the booklet notes are minimal and there are no lyrics. Nevertheless this set is a bargain and an excellent introduction to Josquin.

Josquin - Missa Hercules Dux Ferrariae / Motets
Josquin - Missa Hercules Dux Ferrariae / Motets by Paul Hillier (Audio CD - 2004)