5.0 out of 5 stars The Saviours of Rock 'N' Roll?
In the world of manufactured pop that we live in today, it is relieving and refreshing to find a band that can rock AND roll.
Published on 19 Sep 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars They are just one of many...
Published on 2 Jan 2004 by Chad Plaster

5.0 out of 5 stars The Saviours of Rock 'N' Roll?, 19 Sep 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Get Born [EXTRA TRACK] (Audio CD)
'Get Born' kicks off with the short, hard rocking 'Last Chance', and quickly fires into the modern classic and first single, 'Are You Gonna Be My Girl'. After these brilliant opening tracks we are given the second single, the great 'Rollover DJ'. The mood settles with the sensitive ballad 'Look What You've Done', then Jet are back on form with the rocker 'Get What You Need'. We then get the bluesy 'Move On', featuring slide guitar and harmonica, followed by 'Radio Song'. 'Get Me Outta Here' paves the way for the fantastic, heavy rocking, AC/DC-style 'Cold Hard Bitch', and then 'Come Around Again' and 'Take It Or Leave It' bring us to the Bolan-esque 'Lazy Gun'. The album then closes with 'Timothy' and another rock ballad, 'Sgt. Major'.
This is a classic album from another band reshaping the face of music along with contemporaries such as Kings of Leon, The White Stripes, The Darkness and many others. If you are into thundering classic rock albums full of anthemic tracks, Jet are the band for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Very Good, 9 May 2004
This review is from: Get Born [EXTRA TRACK] (Audio CD)
Okay, it's spot the influence time on this album. Iggy Pop, ACDC, The Stones, The Kinks- not a bad bunch to copy and yes, I'm afraid that a few of the songs on this album wear their influences on their sleeves. But don't let that out you off because they are performed with such pedal to the metal conviction by Jet that you just can't help but be swept along with it. It helps like it sounds like the album was recorded virtually live, a bit of studio banter here and there, feedback, a hilariously mis-timed drum fill on "Take it or leave it"- it's brilliantly raw. I think it's on the ballads that Jet come into their own, some sweet melodies and harmonies- really memorable and heart felt. Can't wait to hear what they do next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heard it before? Who cares?!, 23 Jan 2004
Mr. M. J. Hughes (U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get Born (Audio CD)
Please excuse this review for not focusing alone on the quality of this album, as there is one thing I want to get off my chest.
The album itself is not an absoloute belter, but it is very good none the less. Jet convey an energy in their music which is lacking in some bands today, and most of the tunes will have you tapping your toes and whistling along. My personal favourite is 'Look What You've Done' - one of the slower songs on the album that is very reminiscent of late Beatles tunes.
What angers me about some reviews is the pretentious eagles who hover around and try to make themselves look clever by saying which band each of the songs on this album sound like and have negative things to say due to that and that alone. Yes - the riffs are occasionally very familiar, but when they are done to this standard, so what? Get off your little 'indie-kid' pedestals and just accept the album for what it is.
Rant over.

5.0 out of 5 stars I said Are You Gonna Be My Favourite CD?, 31 Dec 2003
This review is from: Get Born (Audio CD)
I'd only heard two songs by Jet before i bought this, Are You Gonna Be My Girl? and Rollover DJ, both regular floorfillers at most of the indie and alternative club so i thought i'd buy an album that would put a smile on my face. When I first listened to it, i was blown away. There are so many different sides to Jet uncovered Look What You've Done shows that sensitive side whilst Cold Hard Bitch shows theyre bursting with attitude and theres plenty to go round! One of my favourite cds without a doubt!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Album I Just Can't Put Down, 3 May 2004
This review is from: Get Born [EXTRA TRACK] (Audio CD)
I have to admitt I was a little dubious about buying this album. I'd heard (and of course loved) "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" and was hankering for a new album so thought I'd give it a whirl.
Well basically, it's brilliant. From beginning to end is a ride filled with quality tunes. Every tune is catchy yet not repetetive and full of good solid rock. Jet also excel at the smoother side with lush piano tones and a voice that seems relativly unprocessed and is all the better for it.
This is one of the few recent albums (White Stripes, RHCP, being the exceptions) that I genuinly can't put down. I never tire of it and heartedly recommend it.
Favourite Tracks:
"Are You Gonna Be My Girl" (Of Course)
"Rollover DJ"
"Look What You've Done"
"Sgt. Major"
If I were in a band, this is the exactly kind of music I would make.

5.0 out of 5 stars More big rock moments than Stonehenge, 21 April 2004
This review is from: Get Born [EXTRA TRACK] (Audio CD)
Get Born is an absolutely superb debut from the 4some from Down Under.Whilst maintaining an overall, adrenalin-fuming edge the whole waythrough, the album contains delightful changes of mood and tone. The headgets thumping with a stylish opening trio - Last Chance, Are You Gonna BeMy Girl? and Rollover DJ before Look What You've Done allows pause forbreath whilst enjoying a languid, lens-flare-in-shades siesta. Get WhatYou Need blows the cobwebs away before the tone changes noticeably - MoveOn and Radio Song providing ample time for reflecton whilst encased inwarm ballad. The final five get you back on the dusty road like someblistering tunes and opportunity for reckless singalong action. Theperfect summertime driving album. Get it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars syco on jet, 6 Mar 2004
This review is from: Get Born (Audio CD)
Jet's album is one of the most promising albums released in quite a long time. Their music bring back the raw power of sound back into rock, with their thrashy sound and unbelieveably catchy riffs this is a must have for rock fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars à la carte de rock!, 16 Nov 2003
Gareth Waterman "GW" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Get Born (Audio CD)
To the immense relief of those of us who had always wondered what would happen if one threw The Kinks, Supergrass and AC/DC into a big pot (and gave it a stir), Jet appear to have found the answer, and are ladling out the resulting soup with some abandon.
It is unfortunate for bands such as these that The Darkness and the Kings of Leon have rather cornered the two ends of this market with impeccable albums this year, and what we could have ended up with in our bowls was the predictable stew of rock anthems and ballads with a garnish of indie facial hair.
However, this is a more varied and more mature album than I expected and nicely fills a hole left between the blues rock and mournful indie. The menu comprises Sixties-tinged indie rock hors d'oeuvres (Are you gonna be my girl), Anthem entrées (Roll-over DJ), and several more contemplative (dare I say torch songs?) prime cuts (Timothy).
All in all, not quite a full feast but enough to satisfy the appetite of this rock gourmet!

2.0 out of 5 stars They are just one of many..., 2 Jan 2004
Chad Plaster (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get Born (Audio CD)
I'm from Melbourne, the home of Jet. And Melbourne is a city where there has been a long-standing tradition of live venues showcasing hard pub-rock, in the ilk of AC/DC, The Angels, Rose Tattoo, etc. Basically since the mid-70s there's been hard-as-nails, riff-heavy bands plying their trade somewhere or other in this city. And now, because NME has declared that 'rock is the new rock', or something equally baffling, and some record-company type saw a young band who wore the right clothes for the moment, we get Jet hailed as one of the new great hopes, one of any number who could have fit the bill. I think it might be more to do with how sexy their sideburns are than anything else. Songs are ok, but really, nothing special - really, let's be honest. There are plenty of other great bands in Melbourne who do this sort of stuff much better, and have been for a lot longer. If Jet excites you, you haven't heard enough music. I think I'll go top myself when NME declare the acid-house revival.

4.0 out of 5 stars à la carte de rock!, 5 Jan 2004
Gareth Waterman "GW" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Get Born [VINYL] (Vinyl)
However, this is a more varied and more mature album than I expected and nicely fills a hole left between the blues rock and mournful indie. The menu comprises Sixties-tinged indie rock hors d'oeuvres (Are you gonna be my girl), Anthem entrées (Roll-over DJ), and several more contemplative (dare I say torch song?) prime cuts (Timothy).

Get Born [EXTRA TRACK]
Get Born [EXTRA TRACK] by Jet (Audio CD - 2004)