5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the greatest movies ever made, all in one place
Kinski is probably my favourite actor of all time, and Herzog is easily one of my favourite directors. Naturally, I find their five collaborations to be nothing short of genius. Here we have a selection of brilliant, varied films, from the claustrophobic intensity of Aguirre, the brooding horror of Nosferatu, the tortured insanity of Woyzeck, the powerful obsession of...
Published on 19 Dec 2006 by mxd10

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent films, but technically flawed
I was recommended this in HMV without having even heard of Herzog and Kinski (I've only been exploring foreign cinema for a year now), and I bought it on the spot, and as far as the films are concerned I have not been disappointed. Herzog seems to be a master of directing cinematic beauty, and these five films show it. Personally, I think Aguirre is the best film of the...
Published on 15 Jan 2005 by L. Andrews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic movies but terrible quality., 27 April 2012
This review is from: Herzog / Kinski Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great collection of Herzog movies, no doubt about that. The picture quality is absolutely horrible though. I have two tv's, a LED and LCD and both give me a second-hand VHS-like quality no matter what kind of tweaks I do. I hope they get a blu-ray release soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Herzog / Kinski Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Used once and seemed to work but did not get rid of the bugs entirely and need to be careful while using , maybe use a mask

5.0 out of 5 stars Film making and acting of genius, but is that enough?, 17 May 2006
Amazon Customer (Bournemouth UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Herzog / Kinski Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
In this fine DVD set we are in the presence of genius, Herzog the director and Kinski the actor.

Kinski projects onto the screen his own manic personality and tortured relationship with Herzog, he is simply unforgettable.

But Herzog fascinates me far more. Nosferatu and Woyzeck are superb dramatic films, it is the other three that leave me with the question what is the point of his films?

The main plot elements seem to be the combination of exploration and exploitation. In Aguirre it is the conquistadors stealing Inca gold, in Fitzcarraldo it is exploiting the native Indians for their rubber, in Cobra Verde the slave trade. These are pretty grim plots, but shot in locations of haunting natural beauty and superb cinematography. To a degree the locations dominate the films overshadowing the action and giving them a documentary character.

Strangely Herzog seems to underplay tension, an excellent example in Fitzcarraldo is when the boat is out of control in rapids we just see the boat spinning around, no scenes of frantic activity to try and correct the situation. We admire everything but are never involved.

I watch the films fascinated, but apart from Nosferatu and Woyzeck I afterwards feel let down as the stories are so broadly conceived and a niggling feeling this is art for its own sake.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY BUY BUY, 22 Nov 2010
A. Hussain "atticus" (essex uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Herzog / Kinski Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
THESE GUY,S REALLY SUFFERED TO BRING THASE FILM,S TO US ABSOLUTLY FABULOUS FITZ IS MY FAV BUT IT COULD HAVE BEEN ANY FILM IN THIS BOX SET. THE EXTRA,S ARE WORTH THE MONEY ON THEIR OWN.GO ON TREAT YOURSELF.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dubbed and therefore pointless, 20 Oct 2008
A. D. K. Miller "c500" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Herzog / Kinski Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
How can you go to all the trouble of dragging a boat over a mountain, and yet decide that recording the actors voices properly is too much bother. All these films are let down severely by the fact that the voices are dubbed, and badly. I don't mind subtitles, but I want to hear the actors. That should not be too much to ask in this day and age (or indeed in the day and age of these movies). People rave about Kinski's performances, but in my view they are not experiencing the whole thing under these circumstances. Another bad thing is that Aguirre is in 4:3 instead of widescreen for some reason. I was expecting hours of thought-provoking entertainment. Instead I was bored and irritated.

Am I the only person in the world who thinks this is all overrated rubbish?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Herzog / Kinski Box Set [DVD]
Herzog / Kinski Box Set [DVD] by Herzog Kinski (DVD - 2004)
Used & New from: £24.95