Format: Audio CDChange

on 10 July 2009
I've only recently bought this, but it's already up there amongst my very favourite CDs. Karajan was born to play Wagner, his trademark "legato" at it's very best in particular on track 2, the Prelude from Lohengrin, Act 1, which is absolutely sublime. It reminds me of angels making their way up to heaven and getting "blown away" at the climax of the long crescendo as they arrive at the gates! (Probably not quite what Wagner had in mind, though).

Someone on Amazon's USA site wrote "These are some of the most passionate, romantic and utterly thrilling performances of Wagner orchestral music you can hope to hear". I only wish it were a 2 CD box, so it could include my favourite Ride of the Valkyries and more. It was recorded in 1974 when Karajan had spent years forming the BPO into the best orchestra in the world. Digitally remastered in 2001, so the recording quality is excellent.
11 comment39 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2014
This is an excellent recording as would be expected by Karajan. A delight and so up lifting. I play it all the time.

It arrived very quickly too.

Thanks very much
on 25 March 2015
I will find it difficult to find a better recording than this. The wonderful combination of some Wagner's greatest music with the
superlative playing of the Berlin Phil under Karajan is a joy and worth all praise. I don't understand the technical aspect
of remastering but whatever it is long may it continue
on 12 October 2013
I recommend this unhesitatingly to anyone who loves fine, thoroughly well-wrought, profoundly emotive music, evoking @ once epic grandeur & acute sensitivity.. performance & recording here merely permit this sterling music to speak very eloquently for itself.
on 7 May 2015
Top class
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2015
good
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 2015
cd was very good, however delivery time was very long