on 12 November 2011
I thought the other negative reviews were likely from those who had little experience with coffee presses, and having used one for years I thought I knew better. Boy, was I wrong. This press is nice, in that it won't break with an inadvertent whack on the kitchen faucet while cleaning it - which has happened to a couple of previous presses. However, there are some distinctly bad points to this press:

1. The press dribbles down the side more than others I've used. A little dribble is normal - significant amounts of dribble with every use is a pain.

2. The top is a little loose, so it has a habit of popping off the top of the press while pouring coffee - which can end up badly unless you're over the sink.

3. The top is thin metal, which the coffee heats on contact. If you try to hold the top steady while pouring you're liable to burn your fingers.

4. The top knob on the press unscrews, as well as the bottom. If you like to take the press apart for cleaning, the top knob unscrews first and you have to use some tool (e.g. pliers) to unscrew the rest.

I can't give this one star, as it does the job for which I bought it - making coffee and being nigh indestructible. However, I wouldn't buy it again if given the choice and forewarning.
on 5 October 2009
This is an excellent cafetiere for anyone who might be worried that the glass type might break. I use one in my caravan where it gets bounced around quite a bit and I bought one for my son for university as I knew it wouldn't last five minutes if made out of glass. It's also a good size, getting two big mugs out of it or several smaller cups.
on 4 January 2010
Arrived promptly, well packaged and has been used extensively over the Christmas period. Cleaning is a doddle, simply washing up liquid or in the dishwasher.
on 26 September 2009
Really unhappy with this product, the mesh allows alot of granules through, making for a v. grainy cup of coffee
on 17 October 2009
I have broken 3 cafetiere's in the past 6 months, so this one is perfect as it wont break when I inevitably drop it. It is also a good size for lots of coffee, but the plunger lets through alot of grains, leaving you with horrible coffee.
on 6 April 2009
Delivered before the promised date! Well made and beautifully finished.Importantly, the internal fittings can be replaced if they are ever damaged by those from any cheap glass cafatiere as they have the same dimensions. I'm very satisfied with it but be warned - it's a slow pourer.
It interested me that the reviews for this item were so mixed & wondered how most people found it excellent whilst a few found it dire... Seeing that it is manufactured by LeXpress (I already have their excellent 8 cup double walled pot), I went ahead & purchased it for the house anyway (my double waller resides in the caravan).

My notes following use:

1) It is well made & sturdy.
2) The top is a slightly loose fit (the subject of some negative comments), although it is pretty intuitive to place a finger on the plunger finial as you pour. The finial does not transfer the heat adequately enough to burn your finger.
3) Despite it looking like the filter is a nice tight fit as it travels up & down within the cafetiere, a few grains (and the normal coffee "dust") do appear in the bottom of your cup... Especially with the last cup.
I am however used to other cafetieres doing this & as it is by no means excessive I am personally not at all bothered by it (others may differ).
4) Unlike my excellent double walled cafetiere from the same manufacturer, this is a single skinned variety which is reflected in the £10 price difference. The fact that stainless steel does transfer heat better than glass is a given fact, and the simple solution is to douse the pot with a good slug of boiling water before use (the old adage of "warm the pot" is the key). I don't bother doing this with my double walled pot, as although some heat is lost on initial contact, the thermal properties of that pot still keep it to an acceptable temperature.
I find that this cafetiere (the single skinned one) actually serves HOTTER coffee when I warm the pot as described... You just cannot leave it sitting around for as long...
Another solution is to purchase a quirky cafetiere warmer/jacket (available here on Amazon).
5) Mine pours really well (without any drips or dribbles). Some reviewers however state the opposite as their experience. As far as I can see, this can therefore only be due to slight manufacturing flaws.

Overall I have found this a really good product for the money. Sure, glass cafetieres are more heat efficient, but they also break (very easily) & I have lost count of the ones I have replaced over the years.
I do take on board the other reviews that state genuine issues, and put these down to manufacture flaws... The slightest irregularity in the bore of the cafetiere (for example) will cause grains to bypass the filter & fluid to squirt up qhen you press the plunger.
This product is dispatched via Amazon themselves (not a "marketplace" affiliate), and so return is simple & hassle free should you get a "duffer".
Knowing how decent this cafetiere is, I would then advise ordering a replacement rather than giving up completely..

I have been pretty ruthless here & knocked a star off for the very few grains that appear at the bottom of my cup (although they appear to me to be no more evident than with most other cafetieres), otherwise I can find little to complain about.
on 20 December 2010
I've oredered it from France as I had troubles to find product like that there. It is exactly like on the picture and the description is very accurate. And I've received it within few days, which was excellent!!!
on 30 January 2009
Lovely, does exactly as its supposed to and lookks exactly the same as the pics here. Easy to clean.
on 29 April 2011
Easy to use great product. Don't be too forceful when pushing the plunger down as the filter does give way slightly. All in all I am happy with the cafetiere.